Captaincandle

First impressions

I think this game balance is a joke... there seem to be almost zero tactics and just dice rolling going on.

I have played a few solo games to get a feel for it and I completely agree with the assessment of the OP.

It is all about managing to get those first few alpha strikes off, probably with the help of some re-rolls from a tactical card... game over... I hardly need to move the ships anywhere clever either. I don't understand how the developers don't consider this absurd and game breaking. Ranges of weapons are just too long and combining dice pools are just too strong, especially on cruisers as proven in his thread.

Not sure I would bother more with this game as I'm more of a tactical player and want the game to be decided by clever moves and positioning and not dice-rolling. People that want a more though provoking game experience probably should move to another game system.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:52 AM, Jorgen_CAB said:

I think this game balance is a joke... there seem to be almost zero tactics and just dice rolling going on.

I have played a few solo games to get a feel for it and I completely agree with the assessment of the OP.

It is all about managing to get those first few alpha strikes off, probably with the help of some re-rolls from a tactical card... game over... I hardly need to move the ships anywhere clever either. I don't understand how the developers don't consider this absurd and game breaking. Ranges of weapons are just too long and combining dice pools are just too strong, especially on cruisers as proven in his thread.

Not sure I would bother more with this game as I'm more of a tactical player and want the game to be decided by clever moves and positioning and not dice-rolling. People that want a more though provoking game experience probably should move to another game system.

I can understand that perspective. I think there is superficial tactics but they are limited. Terrain makes a big difference.  I think the game has great potential, but there are some serious limitations right now to be honest.

I have a detailed take on it (from my perspective) in the thread in General: Why Dystpopian Wars is heading for sales failure

I still think it is heading that way. There isn't enough substance to the game to justify selling models. There are some die-hards that see good, but I can't agree, I think the game is poor in execution, and moderate in enjoyment. There is very little decision making. Take ships of the class that roll the most dice and go from there.