James Beadle

Old player lured back by starter, looking for info

So I've not played DW in years, many years, but I have significant collections of older models and I just saw a box opening video of a new starter set for DW which has me wondering a few things that I hope someone here would be willing to help with. Perhaps there is a forum discussion here already you can point me to, or a web page with the answers I seek?

1) I assume that over the past six years or so the lore has advanced quite a bit, where would I find that? Should I just find a wiki or is there a definitive web source?

2) Has the company released a synopsis or a teaser for the new rules to give a feel for how the game has changed?

3) And the million dollar question, do all of my old models still work in the game and do I need to buy a book for each faction to play them?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I might be getting back into the game if my old model collection isn't dustbin material now. 

I dont know if this helps but on the last page of the order of battle they have done a counts as for older models. They have only done the commonwealth and the enlightened at the moment

Dystopian Wars - Pick A Faction...

They also have a pdf for the each faction with their background that may help.

As for the rules there are some play throughs online  but that is about it at the moment.

This does help, because it shows intent. If they are not going to out date all my models so they are unusable in the game, then I will pick the game back up. However if they tell me that my initial investment in the game is no longer usable, then I likely wont bother. I will buy newer models if they let my old ones still be used. I dislike supporting a company that takes my money then later makes me buy what I had purchased all over again. I'm looking at you GW with my $3000 Tomb Kings army. 

I can totally understand that. They were doing a scheme where if you sent them a picture of your old rule book they would send you a copy of the new one. As a new player, just got my hands on the starter box yesterday, I don't know if that is still viable but someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to point you in the right direction.

18 minutes ago, HairyBrains said:

I can totally understand that. They were doing a scheme where if you sent them a picture of your old rule book they would send you a copy of the new one. As a new player, just got my hands on the starter box yesterday, I don't know if that is still viable but someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to point you in the right direction.

Do you know who I would talk to in order to find out if they plan to keep my models relevant? If they are doing that I will buy a starter right away. I would also like a hardback replacement of my rule book if that is in the offering. 
Edit: Please ignore this question, I just sent in a query using their contact page. 

Not sure which side of the pond you are on, but I picked up my copy of the Prometheus starter at my FLGS (Atlanta).

The old ships are still allowed, being treated as equivalent to one particular type of new ship or other.

The bottom of the ORBAT will tell you what those are.  Right now you only have Bears and Penguins to look at but it's a start.

Thr Rulebook itself  doesn't seem to be available in PDF.  I don't know how much they changed from the playtest rules, if you somehow find one of those.

I have seen they are releasing a 'Rules and Gubbins set' that should have all you need to run the game with the Classic Dystopian Wars units.

One note however, assembly of the cruisers from both sides is a massive pain, see my post on Magnets and Modularity.

The rulebook was available for a moment on release day...then it disappeared, zero clue why.
As for availability, no LGS in my corner of the EU has them yet, one posted "we should have them...some time in February, maybe".

It's not just Warcradle tho, it seems Evil Empire new releases are backed up too for the continent.

11 hours ago, Pok said:

The rulebook was available for a moment on release day...then it disappeared, zero clue why.
As for availability, no LGS in my corner of the EU has them yet, one posted "we should have them...some time in February, maybe".

It's not just Warcradle tho, it seems Evil Empire new releases are backed up too for the continent.

Pok, where are you from in EU? I received boxes basicaly a day after the release day and sold them all in matter of days, last one on Friday. Maybe I can help you after I receive next batch.

Hi,

Just like the initial poster (James Beadle) I too have lots of the older models which would fall under the Faction of Union.

I just recieved my Salty Seadog Edition of the rule book and i'm just starting to browse the pages, Thank you for my book!

The big questions for me are:

1. When will the Gubbins box be available to purchase?, I've seen it mentioned in a few places! (In Wild West Exodus the Gubbins box had rules, dice, tokens and templates)

2. When will the Orbats and Unit cards be available for the rest of the Factions?

From Stuart on their Facebook page: 

February:
Enlightened and Commonwealth 1.02
Imperium, Empire, Crown and Union 1.01
March:
Imperium 1.02
Alliance and Sultanate 1.01
April:
Empire 1.02

On 2/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, Banksboy1 said:

Hi,

Just like the initial poster (James Beadle) I too have lots of the older models which would fall under the Faction of Union.

I just recieved my Salty Seadog Edition of the rule book and i'm just starting to browse the pages, Thank you for my book!

The big questions for me are:

1. When will the Gubbins box be available to purchase?, I've seen it mentioned in a few places! (In Wild West Exodus the Gubbins box had rules, dice, tokens and templates)

2. When will the Orbats and Unit cards be available for the rest of the Factions?

I think the Gubbins box was scheduled to release in March, according to this blog entry.