RecklessPrudence

Warcradle - what are the chances of getting the old 3D models?

So while we've all been isolated, some friends and I have picked up Tabletop Simulator. There's a few mods out there for games we play, of wildly varying quality. Some of the best seem to have had the creator 3d-scan all their models to import, which is obviously substantially easier in games with a small range of models. Others seem - and I'm guessing here - to have had the mod creator approach the company that makes the relevant game and ask for the 3D models they use to create the physical ones. I was wondering if there was any chance that Warcradle would share what would be required to create the visuals for a Firestorm Armada mod while we're all in lockdown? Spartan-era, obviously, since the Warcradle-era one has been unavoidably delayed. Assuming you guys have them, of course, I know some stuff was lost in the transfer from Spartan. My 3D modelling skills are... basic would be a generous term, so if I end up making the mod my efforts wrt the models would likely be limited to some basic colouring of panels, but if someone else around here has the skills and the inclination, I wouldn't say no to fan-created models based off the box art while I do the rest, although I imagine it would be a lot of effort for whoever signed up, hence the request for the official stuff.

If this is not an acceptable thing to request, I apologise - I was just hopeful.

I don't that will happen but it would be nice if warcradle would think about that . one way they could do this is to allow some one with a 3D printer to buy the data so they can print there own models . warcradle is still getting the money that is there licence and we are happy to build some of our fleets with missing models . just a thought

Ah damn. Understandable, if disappointing. Guess we're gonna have to wait for someone with some real 3D art chops to step up and make something based on the old box art, or something, if we want Tabletop Simulator mods of the quality of some other mods. Here's hoping!

I asked them about the 3d models at Gencon 1019. They were... as polite as you possibly could be to somebody asking something they clearly felt was completely unreasonable. I rather feel the other way around, but they do hold all the cards and IP rights in this instance. There are three ways you might go about this, and two of them are extremely expensive, while the third is extremely unreliable. 

1) Hire someone to scan the models in with photogrammetry software. This would cost around 100$ per model.

1a) Buy the equipment to do the photogrammetry yourself. A full setup to get good scans will need a good quality camera, turntable, and softbox lighting will run you around 1000$, but you'll be able to get all the scans you want. Lots of helpful tutorial videos on it though. It takes time and patience to learn how to process it all, and more than a few potato scans. :/ (I couldn't afford the kit to start this, so all my scans are potato scans. big frustration)

2) Hire a 3d artist. They can produce really amazing results! An artist typically costs around 30/hr, and replicating a ship from the box art would likely take 20 solid hours of work.

3) Learn how to run the 3d program yourself. This is a major time investment, but will absolutely produce the best results. But, you are talking about the equivalent of a self taught college degree. Lots of potato models, but it does have the lowest cost (Blender is free and tutorials are also!)... but you're looking at close to a year of solid dedicated effort to get your skills to pro level. This is a ton of work to dedicate yourself too, and that much work is easy to promise, and hard to deliver. Thus, this is the most unreliable method.