Fluffhunter

Dev #28 - Terran Directorate

From what they have presented, the Terran Directorate is not the Directorate of old. That place is taken by just one of the many corporations that make up the Directorate.

After reading the stuff that Warcradle has put out, I've decided that it appears that there won't actually be a new version of Firestorm Armada.  There will be some new game that has the same name, and new models and rules that have some of the old names and terminology scattered through them, but it won't be the same and it won't be merely a new edition.  Mortal enemies are squished into a new faction (Terran and literally every other human faction save Hawker).  Former allies are turned into deadly enemies (Aquan and Terran).  Fleets are stripped entirely of their identify and mechanics (Relthoza).  This isn't a minor realignment, or a brush-up of an existing ruleset.  It's a full-scale do-over of the entire game.  I, and the rest of my gaming group, will be evaluating this as if it's a brand new game that we have zero investment in, because it is.  Maybe it will be great and we'll all go buy stuff and have fun.  I don't know.  I hate to be the negative one, but this just feels wrong.

i can live with the fluff changes as well as changing degrade to just flipping the ship card over. Link fire sounds like what most people had been talking about doing to anyway. Movement I can see the bases changing and turns being done on the spot after so much forward movement. The bad is seems dice mechanic is going to a silly symbol based die system and shields losing any real effect. Honestly was hoping shields to split into Hp and recharge values for some and others getting deflectors that work like they did. but does sound like a whole new game instead of a new edition. was looking forward to it at first but now as a whole new game it is goiong to compete with what i am playing already

1 hour ago, CoreHunter said:

i can live with the fluff changes as well as changing degrade to just flipping the ship card over. Link fire sounds like what most people had been talking about doing to anyway. Movement I can see the bases changing and turns being done on the spot after so much forward movement. The bad is seems dice mechanic is going to a silly symbol based die system and shields losing any real effect. Honestly was hoping shields to split into Hp and recharge values for some and others getting deflectors that work like they did. but does sound like a whole new game instead of a new edition. was looking forward to it at first but now as a whole new game it is goiong to compete with what i am playing already

Regarding Dice I have only ever heard exploding 6's is still a thing.

And regarding Shields I have only heard them no longer being like armor saves, but not details about what they actually are now.

The Terran Alliance merging with the Directorate is kinda lore breaking, after the Directorate's betrayal and all the war crimes it seems so opposite it seems so opposite of anything the Keepers of the Charter would do.....

Outside of that, I sadly have not played the game any so the new rules setup is not something I can critique really, I will say that new hulls would be ok given the time skip we seem to be having.

On 7/23/2020 at 4:54 PM, Atomfire said:

The Terran Alliance merging with the Directorate is kinda lore breaking, after the Directorate's betrayal and all the war crimes it seems so opposite it seems so opposite of anything the Keepers of the Charter would do.....

Outside of that, I sadly have not played the game any so the new rules setup is not something I can critique really, I will say that new hulls would be ok given the time skip we seem to be having.

It doesn't follow much of the old lore other than that, in general, Dramos happened.  Everything else is new or arranged differently.  A'quan are no longer terrestrial beings, but living celestial starships.  The Veydreth and Oroshan are now essentially the same empire, the Relthoza accidentally got their whole population assimilated into a nanotech hive mind and their interstellar presence on the scene is very new, etc.

There is not a time skip, just a reset of events and expanding the lore of the conflicts between some of the factions across centuries.  The old Terran/Sorylian/Aquan and Directorate/Dindrenzi/Relthoza alliances never really happened and the only forces that do really work together are the Stormzone Coalition, which will be the merc force so to speak of all the old alliance factions that didn't get folded into a main faction. 

15 hours ago, reddwarf said:

Lore is the easiest thing to ignore within a player group.  I...have reservations...about much of the new setup lore wise.  But if the rules work no one can tell me what lore I have in my head.

What you have stated is so true ... Use it as a guide IF you think it helps , OR just make your own . To me it's the game first the lore is just a bonus ... then you can make the lore what you want