RuleBritannia

According to Richard Lawton expect news shortly

9 minutes ago, murphy'slawofcombat said:

I know  things must move at their pace and we all want this to be one of the best games out there .........But it is getting hard to  cool my jets . I cam afford  to spend money  on one game and this is it .

Makes it a lot easier to decide how cool your jets are when you have some idea of the art direction, fluff, and timescale, so news is  good news.

That's a big change to the Dindrenzie! They've gone from square to a prism shape and I like it. Very alien and mysterious. Also those sides make me think that seeing a carrier from them is going to look very cool. I also notice that the railgun muzzle design is closer to the smaller support ships that Spartan released nearer the end (I forget their name, frigate sized or so and basically a small flying railgun). Which I think really highlights that super powerful fore weapon far more so than the smaller circles that they had originally. 

The only thing I dislike is that I can't see any support guns on its sides. I can clearly see the massive rail gun forward, but I can't see the smaller weapons. To me that's essential for a ship game, even if they are a bit out of scale to the rest of the ship, you've got to see the support weapon batteries. Otherwise it kind of loses the effect of a huge warship in space if you can visually only see the one weapon. Of course this is a work in progress look at the ship so there's ample reason that the support weapons might just not be on this render or worked out yet. 

One doesn't always have to see the support guns, and it could be a change from their either/or broadsides to the more effective separated broadsides.  Of course, if you have a good hanger capacity, broadsides may not be needed as much.

This Dindrenzi line reminds me of the Klingons, with the fighter making me think of the Star Wars Empire and Skum and Villainy lines.

Thing is you can bet Sorylians will show off all their small and major side guns. I think showing the side guns helps create the idea that these are vast warships not little fighters with a single weapon (barirng those ships that might well have a single weapon of course). I think it also lets designers make more alien and creative designs and yet still show how they "function" as a ship. You can see bridges, engines, launch bays, gun platforms etc... It all helps build up a visual identity of the ship in question. I think it also helps to remind players during battle as well.

If you can't see any side weapons you might suppose the ship has none and some likely will have no smaller side weapons (or smaller fore weapons etc..). So from a gameplay perspective it speeds things up if you are visually aware that the ship has side weapons from one which doesn't have any. Thus being a critical part in how a player will approach enemy ships.

Of course some iwll have visual guns others might have curved domes or other unique shapes that identify their alien weaponry .