RuleBritannia

According to Richard Lawton expect news shortly

9 minutes ago, murphy'slawofcombat said:

I know  things must move at their pace and we all want this to be one of the best games out there .........But it is getting hard to  cool my jets . I cam afford  to spend money  on one game and this is it .

Makes it a lot easier to decide how cool your jets are when you have some idea of the art direction, fluff, and timescale, so news is  good news.

That's a big change to the Dindrenzie! They've gone from square to a prism shape and I like it. Very alien and mysterious. Also those sides make me think that seeing a carrier from them is going to look very cool. I also notice that the railgun muzzle design is closer to the smaller support ships that Spartan released nearer the end (I forget their name, frigate sized or so and basically a small flying railgun). Which I think really highlights that super powerful fore weapon far more so than the smaller circles that they had originally. 

The only thing I dislike is that I can't see any support guns on its sides. I can clearly see the massive rail gun forward, but I can't see the smaller weapons. To me that's essential for a ship game, even if they are a bit out of scale to the rest of the ship, you've got to see the support weapon batteries. Otherwise it kind of loses the effect of a huge warship in space if you can visually only see the one weapon. Of course this is a work in progress look at the ship so there's ample reason that the support weapons might just not be on this render or worked out yet. 

One doesn't always have to see the support guns, and it could be a change from their either/or broadsides to the more effective separated broadsides.  Of course, if you have a good hanger capacity, broadsides may not be needed as much.

This Dindrenzi line reminds me of the Klingons, with the fighter making me think of the Star Wars Empire and Skum and Villainy lines.

Thing is you can bet Sorylians will show off all their small and major side guns. I think showing the side guns helps create the idea that these are vast warships not little fighters with a single weapon (barirng those ships that might well have a single weapon of course). I think it also lets designers make more alien and creative designs and yet still show how they "function" as a ship. You can see bridges, engines, launch bays, gun platforms etc... It all helps build up a visual identity of the ship in question. I think it also helps to remind players during battle as well.

If you can't see any side weapons you might suppose the ship has none and some likely will have no smaller side weapons (or smaller fore weapons etc..). So from a gameplay perspective it speeds things up if you are visually aware that the ship has side weapons from one which doesn't have any. Thus being a critical part in how a player will approach enemy ships.

Of course some iwll have visual guns others might have curved domes or other unique shapes that identify their alien weaponry . 

On 9/19/2019 at 2:27 PM, Lex Orion said:

I think it is soon to criticize, but I prefer the Spartan´s design.

Perhaps, this design and the design of the Dystopian Wars ships are nearest the Steampunk Style, but I prefer the most sober style from Spartan.

Anyway, I am expectant to see the definitive models.

I think casting technology/skills have shifted. Early Spartan stuff was VERY spartan in design. Look at some early stuff like the old Dragonlords ships from Uncharted Seas and they were, honestly very boring ships for the most part. The hulls were very plain with, whilst good plank details, not much really going on. Now as they developed and grew we saw big strides on how they could achieve new things with new methods. Their designs got more gaudy and more ostentatious steadily. I think we saw it starting to happen with the newer fleets, whilst older ones retained their original design ethos. 

Warcradle is clearly starting from a higher initial point of casting skill and technology so I think they get to put that more showy design into more of the core forces right from the launch. 

For me I'll be interested to see how WC handles army variety, army size and also supermachines. I loved many of the bigger machine designs from Spartan so seeing them from WC will be very interesting. 

So far the only WC choice I dislike is the change in scale of the ground game and the resulting removal of land assets from the sea game. Though I can see some logic in that - Spartan did have some issues balancing ships (which traditionally are very heavily armed) with regular tanks on the ground at times. And you could also see that some of the land and sea ships were mirrors of each other. Though I think the greatest loss is that the scale change means we won't see supersized land units appear in the game. We won't get thundering rolling mobile airfields, though we will at least get flying ones. Still we've not seen anything on that beyond the proposed ideas made a year or more back so things could always change and betewen the sea game; the legions (28mm) and then bringing back others like Firestorm - there's a LOT to keep WC busy before they have to commit to design choices on support/side games. 

I think there is a difference from plainness from necessity, and not overly adorning vessels so they look both warlike, realistic, and gives the design shape time to breathe.  Look at things like more recent 40k where overdoing in fiddly detail disrupts the shape and beauty of iconic designs, and how the less adorned Primaris designs have more detail but not more adornment that makes them feel fresh.  One of things that puts me off WWX and some of the British designs isn't the model per se, the basic designs are fine, but its the fact that Warcradle at times don't know when the step back and go, this is fine, this gives both an iconic design, beautiful curves, and a chance for the player to put their mark on the model, a chance to craft their dudes, and also means that even with the vagaries of Chinese plastic manufacture detail won't be lost, but will be stronger.  I think especially with the British, the risk is the over adorning makes the vessels look like something out of 40K rather than High Victorian.   

16 hours ago, RuleBritannia said:

I think there is a difference from plainness from necessity, and not overly adorning vessels so they look both warlike, realistic, and gives the design shape time to breathe.  Look at things like more recent 40k where overdoing in fiddly detail disrupts the shape and beauty of iconic designs, and how the less adorned Primaris designs have more detail but not more adornment that makes them feel fresh.  One of things that puts me off WWX and some of the British designs isn't the model per se, the basic designs are fine, but its the fact that Warcradle at times don't know when the step back and go, this is fine, this gives both an iconic design, beautiful curves, and a chance for the player to put their mark on the model, a chance to craft their dudes, and also means that even with the vagaries of Chinese plastic manufacture detail won't be lost, but will be stronger.  I think especially with the British, the risk is the over adorning makes the vessels look like something out of 40K rather than High Victorian.   

My thoughts exactly. Not saying it's an easy task, but the relthoza design previews for example hinted at that maybe FSA is departing from the functional looking design (as well). Ther is a place for over the top cartoony stuff, and they declared the Dystopian World to be be such place. I'm still waiting to see, if FSA will go in that direction, because there were hints (albeit in the early design stages) that it will take a more... grounded(?) approach in terms of rules. If it's so, the visual designs should reinforce that aspect.

My only... one of my questions is, that where Warcradle is imagining the new FSA fanchise relative to it's competition? Logically there's still an opening where it's predecessor placed itself - without naming the competition, I think it would be less grounded than the one centered on warfare above a planet's surface, but more grounded than the lightsabre wielding and the grimdark variety space operas.

I don't think it can (or should) compete with the latter two on common terms (at least in it's fledgeling state). It obviously can change, as there were hints for novels set in the new FSA universe by acclaimed authors (again at the early stages), but even than catching up wouldn't be realistic.

This is why I'm hoping they won't depart too much from the late Spartan era, as even that that was creeping into the "over the top" territory of the big boys (even if one of them isn't currently active).

Of course I don't mean that "everything MUST stay the same". I will welcome new designs as any good resin junkie out there. I just hope that FSA won't be centered around space whale torpedoes and the likes. We had enough problems with those pesky aquans in tha past ;)

(And if that's not the case, I have an advantage over newbies, as my collection features time tried designs with which I know I'm comfortable with, I just have to make sure I remove the designs I might not like from the oposing side of the table asap :D )

6 hours ago, murphy'slawofcombat said:

ok DW aside and we are on the firestorm  general discushion  site can any one please answer the question any news on the firestorm beta test?????

What I meant was that the announcement was that the Beta would be after the DWars release.

It was good to see a discussion started on the beta.  For boarding, it seems to come down to a question of how much realism is wanted.  More realism = less boarding.  I'm not a fan of boarding, necessarily, but alternate paths to victory are crucial for establishing a good game.