Sign in to follow this  
Pathosis

Line of sight question

Hey guys,  just getting into the game and have a quick question about line of sight. For so reason the way it is described in the rulebook, especially for being on higher ground confuses me. It mentions something about drawing a line from your base to the figure you want to shoot, now that makes sense and is a typical way to do line of sight, but then mentions something about using your base size and going up on the model. That's what confuses me. What exactly do they mean? It makes me think if a figure has something blocking it's base but you can still see it's chest/head you wouldn't be able to shoot it. Am I over thinking it?

I had to check back with Warcradle if my following example would be correct.

Below you see a montage to clarify how LoS in WWX works. 

To prevent modeling for advantage Warcradle decided that only the base size is important to determine line of sight, regardless of the model standing on top of it.

Let a base stand on its edge in a perpendicular angle to see your bases "height", in addition to the bases width you create a somewhat 3-dimensional cylinder.

This cylinder is the area from which would be drawn line of sight in terms of height.

That way a deputy sharpshooter would have the same LoS-area as a Warrior Nation totem, even though both models are of different size.

EDIT: Stuart from Warcradle added that the expectation for this rule is that the model can crouch.

LoS_Deputy.thumb.jpg.1b85bdbf18532b3adc70d83b077cfd2b.jpg

Thanks! Explaining it thematically like that, it makes sense. Does having to measure base size when using line of sight slow the game down at all? And is that line of sight rule just for when you are shooting someone on terrain that is elevated above you, or do you you use that rule for two units both on the same level as well? I think it was explained in the rulebook under the terrain area, but I can see that rule being for all line of sight. 

I haven't experienced any slow downs while determining line of sight yet using the above method and you're using it for every case, not just for different height levels.

If a unit is standing on an elevated position/terrain feature and shooting down on an enemy unit then the "higher ground" rule is applied, furthermore it counts as having made a "get in cover" action.