Sign in to follow this  
RuleBritannia

The Lost World - In Defence of Antarctica

Dear all, 

I really like a lot of the sound of the Lost worlds game.  It brings back a lot of cool look and feel Dystopian Legions in an interesting setting.  However, I write in defence of Antarctica and ask Warcradle to shift the Lost World expansion from the continent to the much cooler (haha) setting of Hooke's Reach from the Pacific Cyclone. Hooke's Reach is a mysterious island that appeared as the war began., covered in ancient technology, weird confusing terrain .  This means no need at all to change the background material of all 8 great power blocs getting involved, or the flora and fauna.  However, what it does allow is the development of Sturgeon's nation of Antarctica to act as a counterbalance and independent power that contrasts the rapacious and warlike other powers and in particular a foil to Carpathian's Science as a corrupting form of power to say that science is a tool, and can be used to help mankind, and that it is mankind's folly not the corruption of being a scientist.  Light and shade.  Also the Covenant in Antarctica has some really cool stuff like underground cities, egalitarianism, spies and awesome commandos that contrast nicely to Carpathian's cruder methods.  

I think Antarctica is a really good choice: A very important place in dystopian world and a mysterious one...

But I hope we can see an expansion based on Hooke’s Reach too... one day.

Any way you can chose to play wherever you want…

10 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

I think Antarctica is a really good choice: A very important place in dystopian world and a mysterious one...

The problem I have Hannibal is that this makes it less important.  It becomes a wasteland to be fought over rather than the base of operations, scientific wonderland and Academic Utopia of Sturgeon's vision of the Covenant.  You can make Hooke's reach the Wasteland and keep Sturgeon's dream alive.  I want to see the setting being expanded rather shrunk in it's vision.  Also makes it easier to explain where all the weirdness comes from its a lost island rather than suddenly appearing.

I've seen some more information from a chat Stuart had online.  Again hearsay and not written down and therefore lacking some clarity, but it seems to suggest that the Covenant in Antarctica are defending the place.  I mean that's better that they exist, but not clarified in the pitch post, and doesn't stop the presence of better developed fauna and flora mystery on Hooke's reach without having everything suddenly and weirdly mega evolving.