Sign in to follow this  
skaroreg

"replace"

In the rules for Hex Beast it says to replace the model with a hex beast. in game terms, what does replace mean? is it Base to Base contact? is it anywhere in the footprint? do you path of least resistance models around it if the model turning into a Hex beast is a smaller base? 

Some FAQ or additional wording on this would help clear things up especially for competitive play where you do not want to have these types of vague wordings. 

For the most part the only time this would be an issue is if the original model has a smaller base and is in base to base contact with another model. Otherwise it would be exactly as it says, You literally replace the model where it stands with another model (center point of the old model matches the center point of the new model)  But in the case of the original model being a smaller base and in base to base contact with another model or terrain then there are plenty of examples within the rules to follow a path of least resistance in placement.  Obviously there are going to be WAY to many edge case scenarios for them to adequately describe every situation with a specific always correct answer. 

but who knows, Warcradle may have a better answer.

ok, so here is my general follow up to that question. What in the rules tells us that "replace" means the center of the old model and the center of the new model must be the same point?

The problem is if you are going to be getting into this game and want to play more than just super friendly games this needs to be clearer. for example Malifaux, which has TONS of wording issues in its current editon, when a situation like this occurs you place the new model base to base with the old one. if it does not fit, you do not get to put it out. that covers 99% of the situations. "replace" with no other information on what "replace" means leave way too much wiggle room.  Putting a definition of what replace means will solve the majority of potential issues with it. 

and yes, there are other examples of using least disturbance, but there is no evidence that i have found in the rule book that they would apply to this situation, I mean even saying something like "replace the model with the new models base within the footprint of the base of the old model. use least resistence if other models are in the way, if the model can not be placed it does not enter play" or something like that. it covers most of what will happen because even if you are center to center a small base model in melee cant be center to center with the new model.  As of right now, anything related to how "replace" works is fully speculation because of the lack of a game definition of replace. 

I only push on these things because I enjoy the game and want the rules clear.  I am also glad facebook cleared up the crit fail in the building

The tainted model is replaced by the hex beast replace it so that the centre point is in the same place. All previous engagements should remain. If the tainted model was engaged replace the model in such a way as to keep engagements and not move any other models. If that is not possible the owning player should move the fewest number of models by the shortest distance in order to fit the new base over the old.