Sign in to follow this  
Ulfast212

Status of the game and perhaps a new player?

Hello fellow WWX players. I have for several years been thinking to start up this game but never had the money (or time) to do so until now. But i have some question I´m hoping you can help me with before I start:

1. How popular are this game? It seems to me itsn´t so popluar and that will make it harder to find opponents. Proof is that my local gamestore is not selling it and this forum is pretty inactive.

2. Is the gunfighat red oak a good box to start with to get some miniatures, try out the game and perhaps share with a friend? Or is it better to start with a posse right away?

3. Is all the diffrent posse (factions) fun to play? I´m myself intersting in the warrior nation  but understand that they want to mostly be in melee and this game favors shooting. So that is perhaps not so fun...?

4. How is the internet store for warcradle working? Those it take long to get items send to you? (I live in Europe, Sweden).

5. Any good recommendations or advice around this game that is good for a newbie like me?

thanks in advance for some help. i really want to try this out as the miniatures looks great and the backstore seems very intersting together with a intersting rules.

Welcome.

First, yeah this forum seems to be a little quiet. I haven't been back in WWX for long, though I was a big player (and deputy) for the first edition; I've only recently jumped back in after a demo last Adepticon. ;)

1. It's popular in some areas, I think, and unheard of in others. I'd actually recommend checking out the Dark Council Facebook group (if you Facebook) as it's a lot more active than here, and you might be able to find other folks in your area.

2. From what I've seen, the Gunfight at Red Oak is a pretty decent set for 2 players. So if you're wanting to try it out with a buddy, this will give you two smaller posses to throw down with, plus the cards and dice and template and gubbins (tokens) you need. 

3. I play mostly Lawmen, but have dabbled with Warrior Nation as well, and played against Union, Warrior Nation, Outlaws, and Enlightened. They all have their own feel, but I wouldn't say any one of them is "unfun," but some might not have a playstyle you like. While shooting is kinda big in this game, and Warrior Nation can struggle against that a little if there is not enough terrain, they also do have some other ways to deal with that like Spirit Totems that act as portals so they can teleport around a bit.

4. Don't know, haven't ordered direct, and can't even guess what service to Sweden might be like since I'm in the US. ;)

5. I think the best advice for a new player is to really keep an eye on your models' abilities and don't forget any synergies they have. Also, activation order is important, as is resource management in the form of Fortune chips and knowing when to best use them. Like most games, I'd recommend starting out small and learning as you go, and maybe do some proxies of other units before you figure out what next to buy.

Thanks Valander for your very good answer. It really give a lot for me to think about. I have joined the Facebook group and it seems more active then this forum.

My plan right now is to buy the Red Oak box and start there. Later on I will do warrior nation, they look so cool so I can´t not buy them.  And I´m not a powergamer, I always beleive that collest models wins ;) 

Welcome!

I'm glad that you have joined the Dark Council! The game is still growing and spreading to new areas. Gunfight at Red Oak is perfect for showing the game off at your FLGS/Gaming Group and see if more people can get involved and maybe get some opponents. 
As for new player advice? Start with the basics, learn about movement and the different actions and interactions there, then move onto shooting and then combat. Keep a reminder close to hand for Fortune as it has a massive impact on how the game is played, the same with G&G Cards. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and if something doesn't feel right then ask here or on TDC and someone will get back to you. 

8 hours ago, Ulfast212 said:

Thanks Valander for your very good answer. It really give a lot for me to think about. I have joined the Facebook group and it seems more active then this forum.

My plan right now is to buy the Red Oak box and start there. Later on I will do warrior nation, they look so cool so I can´t not buy them.  And I´m not a powergamer, I always beleive that collest models wins ;) 

You're most welcome. Like I said, I was pretty deep into WWX in first edition, and I still really like the setting and stuff. During the tail end of the run w/ Outlaw, I dropped out a little because I felt it was starting to suffer pretty badly in terms of rules bloat and general imbalance, and did some other things for a while. I knew 2nd edition from Warcradle came out, but it was hard to find around my area, so it wasn't until Adepticon last year that I finally got a demo and was pleased with the changes, so dusted off my models and started diving back in. ;)

And yeah, Rule of Cool on the models is how I go, too. It's unfortunate that I think so many of the models are cool that I have all original factions, and want more... Well, unfortunate for my wallet anyways.

I´m really liking the rules and I have watch several videos on youtube for battlerports that make the game looks really fun and intersting. I´m hoping that if I start with some the Red Oak box I can try to get others to play with me, see how fun it is and hopefull jump on the wagon :) I will also try to get some nice terrain so the game feel much more alive. I have also desided that before I run any test game I will paint up everything! I´m usually bad in geting paint on the models but with only around 10 models in Red oak it should be possibly and it would make the minature and game more attractive.

Good to hear that you like the rules and that they seem fun. The miniatures are grsat and the new one looks awsome. Guess it will be hard not to buy new ones :)  

i promise to make a report when i get the box. So far I´m still waiting for mail :) But i´m really looking forward to the game and the box seems awsome. Looking at other game companies (no name mention) I notice that it really need so much to start a game while here you only need the Red Oak box and you get all, both rules, miniatures for two teams, dices and more. Awsome. Next step for me is to buy a couple of terrain pices.