Sign in to follow this  
Bad Idea Comics

Firestorm SpecOps designs

45 minutes ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

Infinity, for sure.  8-12 models was the goal, with some crunchy rules for your operators.  It was supposed to give you a lot of ownership of each troop.  It also means you don't need a gazillion poses, just a few models with different kit for each race, so it plays well to resin or metal models with a higher price point.  The Infinity game model is actually quite excellent, so good that GW has even adopted it to an extent (Kill Team).  Skirmish games are in their heyday, as they offer tons of variation relatively inexpensively.

I can't completely disagree, but sometimes it is nice to bring a horde of baseline troops for story purposes.  Hero versus Hero can be epic, but so can the hero versus 20.  A lot depends on the engine's capacity to handle the balance between them.  You technically can bring hordes in to Infinity, but the game can get bogged down rather quickly, and the game's mechanics trend to favor quality over quantity, partially due to the reaction mechanic.

30 minutes ago, Charistoph said:

I can't completely disagree, but sometimes it is nice to bring a horde of baseline troops for story purposes.  Hero versus Hero can be epic, but so can the hero versus 20.  A lot depends on the engine's capacity to handle the balance between them.  You technically can bring hordes in to Infinity, but the game can get bogged down rather quickly, and the game's mechanics trend to favor quality over quantity, partially due to the reaction mechanic.

I bet there's a way to do that.  I know you can field basic Imperial Guard (or whatever the hell they call them now) in Kill Team and their basic mechanics are simple enough to permit large numbers.  What you're proposing would require some flexible crunchiness, which is doable for sure, but is it worth it?  You and I seem to think so, but will the business model?  Personally, I love the idea of one SpecOps team vs a platoon of muggles.  It's how it should be and it lends itself well to specific scenarios.  SpecOps vs SpecOps is a different animal, which is what I believe all of Infinity is really geared for. 

I've actually been working on some designs just for me that have some heavy Masamune Shirow influence, so, by default, they look like Infinity models (a lot of their stuff seems to stem from Shirow's "Appleseed" series) - my point being, their design aesthetic is right up my alley and I've been wanting an excuse to buy their models and there just happens to be a game to provide that impetus.  LOL - it seems silly that I have to feel like I'll actually use the minis for something in order to justify buying them.  I'd feel the same about SpecOps minis, as long as they're great looking I'll likely want to play the game in order to buy the minis. 

Get to work Warcradle!  :p

I bet Warcradle could take all their game design experience and develop a really good skirmish game.  I’m probably going to play a few games of 40k Killteam with a buddy this winter, but it’s a bad design.  There is an awful amount of rolling just to get to one or two outcomes, and no thought into keeping both players involved during this process.  Throw in designing to what already exists in standard 40k, and the end result is a whole lot of false choices in list design for what is supposed to be built for competitive play.

56 minutes ago, Ryjak said:

I bet Warcradle could take all their game design experience and develop a really good skirmish game.  I’m probably going to play a few games of 40k Killteam with a buddy this winter, but it’s a bad design.  There is an awful amount of rolling just to get to one or two outcomes, and no thought into keeping both players involved during this process.  Throw in designing to what already exists in standard 40k, and the end result is a whole lot of false choices in list design for what is supposed to be built for competitive play. 

Ryjack, have you tried out Privateer Press' Company of Iron?  It's similar to Kill Team in that it is units made individual models and they get rid of Warcasters/Warlocks in the process.  I haven't read the rules on it yet, much less played it, but I understand the death mechanics involve a bit more rolling as well.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:26 PM, Ryjak said:

Infinity looks amazing and I love their design aesthetic.  I'm getting some of their models just to have them - that's how much I like them.  The rules look fascinating as well - very interactive.  I also bought into Star Wars Legion, which is great if you're a Star Wars fan - the models are excellent and SO simple to assemble, yet look fantastic with loads of details.  It's more than a skirmish game, but very fast and easy with a lot of interesting mechanics.  It's also surprisingly affordable.