Sign in to follow this  
Bad Idea Comics

Firestorm SpecOps designs

Hi gang!  Here's a couple pieces I did just for fun many moons ago that got Neil to get in touch with me.  he had me doing design work for SpecOps, a 28mm skirmish game that never got produced.  I have a few more designs I'm trying to find, so stay tuned for more doodles.  I'd done these before I even saw troops for Planetfall.

dindrenzimarine.jpg

directoratemarine.jpg

3 minutes ago, RuleBritannia said:

Any missing legions or Dystopian Empires bits you might have designed would be fascinating to see too.

Unfortunately no, they had loads of design staff working on that already.  They'd put me on the weird stuff that didn't have enough ideas yet.  The closest to "mainstream" I got was heavy weapons for Planetfall.  One thing I was trying to get them to do was eliminate some of the homogenization of the forces - not giving everyone the same kind of gun/mount.  It was fun while it lasted.

And, hey Warcradle guys, feel free to use some of these ideas!  And let me know if you need more (shameless self-promotion moment).

The real shame is that Neil was working on SpecOps well before the new Kill Team game from GW showed up and well before Star Wars Legion.  The only other real skirmish game was Infinity and SpecOps could have been a solid competitor - it was described to me to be a squad level game (8-12 models), so an easy buy-in with some crunchy play.  They also were working on a full terrain system.  Really, the game would have done very well in the market at that time, but now I feel it's a bit saturated.  It could still work, but it would have to be something really spectacular to pull from the Infinity and Kill Team audience. 

I do full illustration work as well - I was a full time freelancer for a few years, but I'm doing graphic design as my day job now - just drawing for me mostly (will be starting up a Patreon page soon).  Here's a piece I did for Vigilance Press - it was the submarine for a character I created the concept for, "Rayzer", a Mutants & Masterminds renegade.

Karkarius_colors_noconstruction150_zpsqbcitzyk.jpg

4 minutes ago, RuleBritannia said:

Do you have a blog or anything?  I know a few groups that would love to better look at your work.

Ha - that's what the Patreon page will be.  I'll be posting tons of free stuff, with my new comic stories the only thing you'd actually pay for.  That's going up this coming weekend.  I'll keep you posted.  I have LOADS of art from previous projects that I'm safe to share with the public now (no pesky NDAs to get in the way) and I want to have it all in one spot - if you happen to have interest in reading some fun comics while you're there then become a patron as well.  :)

On a related note, here's a character of mine that feels a bit FSA - some more of what you can expect on the Patreon page.

magnum_zpsgr7oenzb.jpg

These are incredible! More FSA "fluff" in 1 set of posts than half the official publications.

My top 3;

• Stealth-tech geckos. SOLD!
  • The Dindrenzi hammerhead HUD helment. 
  • Terquai!

Seriously man, really great stuff here. Its a shame SpeOps never went anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, Charistoph said:

I wonder how big the SpecOps game should be expected to get.  Should it be like Infinity, or will we be looking more at the lower end of WarmaHordes.

Infinity, for sure.  8-12 models was the goal, with some crunchy rules for your operators.  It was supposed to give you a lot of ownership of each troop.  It also means you don't need a gazillion poses, just a few models with different kit for each race, so it plays well to resin or metal models with a higher price point.  The Infinity game model is actually quite excellent, so good that GW has even adopted it to an extent (Kill Team).  Skirmish games are in their heyday, as they offer tons of variation relatively inexpensively.