Sign in to follow this  
Brimat

Dystopian Wars Beta Rules and their implications on FSA

Hi everyone,

as i never played Dystopian Wars, i don't know the differences to the previous edition.

Can someone with this knowledge take a look on these new rules and point them out? (Link: www.dystopianwars.co.uk)

If some of this rules get transported to FSA, the game will be getting deadlier and faster, as exploding dice can only effect offense. And the Victory/Valor-Cards seem interesting.

DWars2 was similar to firestorm, possible even more crunchy!

Obviously the slight change to the dice with the new symbolic lay out. 

SRS in Dwars 2 were a nightmare, they were their own units and often led to activation spam. More reminiscent of FSA1. The change to them being deployed over the course of a turn and then all resolved at once is an interesting one. I can certainly see the appeal. Do you activate carriers first and either sent bombing runs or protect ships? do you go second and look for a gap in the defences or send fighters to protect ships with lots of bombers threatening them? Allows a collection of low wing capacity ships to effectively co-ordinate together. I'm looking forward to rolling out my Latin Alliance medium carrier conversions!

The flippy-stat card I would expect to be ported in to FSA3. less crunch to wade through with regards to ships damage and working out how this AD etc etc. 

If this could be an indication of how FSA3 might be going than its not going to be the end of the world. I would hope for a more thematic movement system, weapons rules etc to flavour it FSA rather than just Dwars in spaaaace!

The fixed weapon stats interest me. Allows you potentialy remember the weapon stats rather than needing constant checking and allows for a quick glance or verbal communication between players. Instead of "hey, these guys have a 3/6/5 and these guys have a 2/4/8 and this guy has a 15/12/6," its a common terms of "these have a standard gun battery, these have a medium rail gun and this guy has a Macro scatter cannon" Those mean something to everyone very quickly, much like saying "Boltgun", "lascannon", "AC/20" or "M4 Sherman 75mm". Could easily be Faction specific too, the Dind kinetic weapons have more AD or whatever than Terran equivalents. Doesn't have to be a pure cross-factional all encompassing weapon list. 

The cards are an interesting way for weapon swaps and upgrades though I feel they might need variable points costs or limited applications/swaps. I'll see during testing. But could certainly be a route for weapon variability. Have a standard cruiser rail gun stat for the Dind but then destroyers have the upgrade that makes them extra long range whilst a Velite has the upgrade card that gives them Scatter. 

The good thing is that the response is generally positive. People are excited that DWars is on its way back and no one is having a total melt down. It still looks to retain the flavour of DWars, with less crunchy stuff and faster game play! I agree with Pok. Pleasantly surprised! 

Very promising, in many ways.  I'd also like to see a movement system that doesn't rely on a large template (if anything, the ones in Dwars look worse than Spartan's in terms of employing in the middle of a cluster of models on a table).  Also not really a fan of symbolic dice-I instinctively see it as nothing but an attempt to get more money out of me.  Doesn't really matter though since you can always use a standard d6 instead.

From the stat cards it looks like they've mostly removed the hassle of tracking individual damage levels and having that impact all your attack and defense dice.  In fact, at least on the stat cards I looked at, offense never degrades at all.  It's mostly secondary things like movement that change as you move from Battle Ready to Crippled.  That's a significant increase in deadliness, and completely does away with zombie ships (good).  Not sure I'm 100% on board with no attack reduction at all, but willing to try it out.

Decent stab at SRS-certainly worth trying out.

Curious to see Patron (Admiral?) effects.

Supporting attack dice is way simpler than linking (good).

Love the Victory/Valour concept.

No fixed arc :(  I know, I'm in the minority and it's a measurement hassle.  I just like the "flavor" and fleet differentiation it created.

Definitely excited to see how they translate this to FSA!

7 hours ago, reddwarf said:

From the stat cards it looks like they've mostly removed the hassle of tracking individual damage levels and having that impact all your attack and defense dice.  In fact, at least on the stat cards I looked at, offense never degrades at all.  It's mostly secondary things like movement that change as you move from Battle Ready to Crippled.  That's a significant increase in deadliness, and completely does away with zombie ships (good).  Not sure I'm 100% on board with no attack reduction at all, but willing to try it out.

@Warcradle Stuart has clarified it on facebook that the stat cards are faaaaar from final. The current batch are for trying out movement, target selection etc., the flavour will come at a later stage, including the reduced firepower values, so if that is true, you shouldn't have concerns about that. Flipping cards to represent battle damage to me looks like a simple solution, with interesting possibilities... (some ships getting stronger when damaged? Getting rid of damaged armor increases speed of some ships?)

I agree with the dice part, (and I agree: using regular dice for this purpose isn't too much of a hassle) still, I'm looking forward to what's cooking in the warcradle labs for FSA (how much departure they want the two systems to have... FSA won't be part of the Dystopian age after all, so I'm betting on it'd be more significant... if custom dice are on the table, why wouldn't custom D12s be off?)

The movement system has a paragraph to enforce that there's no backtracking mid movement, which (combined with the ramming rules) will make squadron movements interesting. I wonder how that part will translate into FSA, as many of the proposed changes to movement were trying to loosen squadron placement.

I wouldn't bury fixed arc in FSA just yet... We don't even know anything about the bases warcradle intends to use (they are one of the reasons why no FSA has apppeared in the warcradle classic line yet).

I can hardly wait to droool over the FSA rules :)

Edit: I'm really fond of the tier system, but I'm really curious how the (final) fleet construction rules will flesh out in DW3...