Sign in to follow this  
TotalNoobSauce

Beacon and Unexpected Arrival

Beacon and Unexpected Arrival

Question 1: Does Beacon ever expire?  It is not listed as a condition and the Special Weapon Quality entry does not specify a duration so it appears that once a model is affected by Beacon it will be stuck with it until the end of the game or death.  Is this correct?

Question 2: If a friendly unit with the Unexpected Arrival special rule begins the game in reserve, does Beacon effectively negate the Unexpected Arrival rule?

Long version/example:

Unexpected Arrival states that when the unit is placed in the Play Area, the unit must be placed 6" from any Play Area edge, unit, or impassable terrain.  Then the unit scatters d5 inches.  

Beacon provides +1 to your Reserves Check and if successful using the bonus then must delpoy as close as possible to the targeted enemy unit.

Let's say I take Ponce De Leon in the outlaw faction posse with a Haupt Heavy Borer. Ponce De Leon hits an enemy unit with his rifle and the enemy unit then gains Beacon.   The target unit survives the shot.  

The Haupt started the game in reserve and at some point during the turn I do a Reserves Check to see if I can bring it in and I use the Beacon +1 bonus.  

The check is successful, so I would essentially place the Haupt in base contact with the unit affected by Beacon or as close as possible per that rule?  Or would the restrictions/scatter in Unexpected Arrival still apply?

Given the way the rules are written I am inclined to think that Beacon never expires and Beacon effectively negates the restrictions/randomness in Unexpected Arrival, but it never hurts to check.

Beacon doesn't expire but it doesn't negate the restrictions of Unexpected Arrival.  As stated in the Beacon Quality the unit is placed as close as possible to the targeted enemy unit, in this case the closest you can place it is 6" and it will still scatter. 

interesting, so by the same logic regular units without unexpected arrival using the bonus  to come in from reserve still have to deploy 6" from the back board edge directly across from the target model with Beacon unless the adventure designates a different location?    

Oh well, at least we will be playing it right in the future.

I was unsure how Beacon works as well.  Normally when a model comes in from Reserves it is placed 6" from the rear  edge of my deployment zone. They also can not be place within 6" of an enemy model. If my Reserves unit takes advantage of Beacon, do they still come in from a table edge, or can they be placed right on the table as close to the Beaconed enemy unit as possible (staying outside of 6" of them)?

I'm for the simplest solution:  All rules are applicable.

part1... Beacon: You place the model on the closest point to the target model.

part2... Unexpected Arrival: You have to place the unit within 6" of any play edge.

part3... Reserve Deployment rules: It also can't be withing 6" of an enemy model. 

Summary: (beacon)You place the model on the closest point to the target model ... (from unexpected arrival)within 6" of any of the edges... (reserve deployment rules) and adjust for enemy proximity.