Sign in to follow this  
ThePimbler

Units with both Tough and Mettle

Hi Everybody,

New player here, I've only played two games so far but I'm enjoying the game quite a bit.  Something came up in a recent game and neither myself or the other player were sure how to resolve it.

The issue is this:

Some units in the game can have both the Tough and Mettle common rules simultaneously;  i.e. Raging Bear, or any unit with Mettle that is also affected by the Sawbones special rule.

Tough says:  "...Furthermore, this unit does not count as being Wounded by a failed Grit Check and instead is stunned..."

Mettle says:  "This unit does not count as being Wounded by a failed Grit Check and instead is Disordered..."

Both of these effects are triggered by the same event, which is becoming Wounded by a failed Grit check.  How does this resolve if the unit has both of these common rules?  If a unit fails a grit check, do they occur "simultaneously", with the unit not being counted as Wounded but becoming both Stunned (by Tough) and Disordered (by Mettle)?  Do they resolve separately, with the unit becoming stunned (or disordered), no longer being counted as wounded, and then when it fails a grit check again, the other condition is applied?  If so, in which order are the abilities resolved (Tough first, Mettle first, attacker's choice, defender's choice?)

Thanks in advance

I don't believe there is an official order of operations on this but I have always seen it played as one status being applied at a time with the defending unit's owner making the call as to which triggered.

So fail 1 grit check, owner picks if stunned or disordered.  Fail 2nd grit check, apply other status.  Fail 3rd grit check and be wounded and removed from the field (unless it is a construct in which case you get to use carpathogen).  With tough and mettle it can be hard to remove them from the field.

In that case, you decide - first Tough or Mettle. Remember that this unit can be a target of an attack by others so if you pick up Tough and You are Stunned you get -1 to all attributes - also to Grit.