RuleBritannia

Will there be alternate versions of the 'Scythe'?

Dear Warcradle team,

Thanks for sharing the new Covenant plane design!  I just wondered if you could do an alternate or modular version of this plane? The crew cockpit sticks out for two reasons.  One, the version shown has a crewman who is one of Carpathian's lobotomised cyborg types, and that individual is not offered the full protection of a cockpit.  While that's fine for Bunsen and his cynical, darker crew, for the classic Covenant under Sturgeon they had Radio controlled drones in the old fluff and I think even in the new fluff wouldn't want to put actual humans through the process of turning them into undead slaves, and would still be keener on RC drones to protect lives, or even Automata controlled vessels, maybe with a human controlled Ace.  So perhaps the cockpit could be modular?  One version with an enhance radio instead of a cockpit for a radio controlled version, a full cockpit version for an Antarctican ace in addition to the current version?

Scythe.jpg

The Enlightened constructs are not "undead", they're more something like a Cyborg, which is perfectly suitable for the new fluff. And as you may heard during the video, they're supported by an Automata a couple of inches in front of them.

Sorry if I've jumped the gun, but I didn't watch the video, I find them hard to parse and relied on the blogpost.  The Construct idea seems to me like a technological undeath, using dead humans as part of the machine and losing self hood, which is fine for Carpathian, but less so for the feel of the Antarctican group around Sturgeon.

Maybe you get behind the idea of a construct if you think of them like the the Servitors from Warhammer 40k. 

Those are cybernetically enhanced humans which lack a free will or self consciousness, but they're absolutely not dead or undead, they're living creatures obeying their masters orders like a machine would do.

I mean, there was talk about what could be done in plastic, you know? Part of that could be including such options on the sprue. I think a little bit of personal flair is excellent. Even a small touch like that tells a lot about the forces in play- I would personally be inclined towards another sensor suite myself, or at least an enclosed cockpit. Seems like a big liability otherwise, what with the rotor right beneath the pilot! If something comes loose on your cyborg pilot, you're gonna need to find a replacement part!

There are a couple of extra plastic options that would be nice, so you could turn any plane into a stuka style fighter bomber, sensor upgrade for a recon plane, radio unit for a fighter commander or weirder catch the pigeon style upgrades, especially for something cool like an Ottoman airburst mine launcher.   Similarly aesthetic choices like enclosed cockpits, robo pilots, radio control towers could be seen in other fleets, such as Raj style crenellations, Italian Airboat landing gear etc.

I agree that the cockpit should have a couple of variants, as different commanders in the Enlightened wouldn't all use reanimated pilots.

Besides the aesthetic reasons for having an automaton crew, to match those who are using Dystopian Legion Antarctic models for their Enlightened, there would also be "normal" humans in the skies who just don't want to sit in a VR chair, only controlling "puppets"

Constructs aren't dead. They are very much alive. The Enlightened haven't (yet) unlocked the ability to resurrect the dead. At least not satisfactorily. 

Piloting the Scythe (and the smaller Sickle) puts incredible stresses on the human body. So all Enlightened pilots are augmented in some fashion so as to make better pilots. Of course, there will be some that are more passable for an unaltered human than others. Think of constructs more like cyborgs - heavily augmented humans. They are all either volunteers or conscripted into the process (depending on the Enlightened Peer orchestrating the whole thing). 

Old DWars got round that by having Drone warfare which was rather cool.  I hadn't seen any comment about positive transhumanism as opposed to conscripted versions that lose their free will.  I think that aesthetically as the game progresses it would be nice to differentiate between Carpathian's conscripted, mindless or limited free will troops and those that have chosen to become augmented.  Similarly an option to have enclosed cockpit, therefore reducing the stress on the pilot?  Its just expanding the options to allow the players to help craft the different narratives of enlightened, allowing more of your dude approach, which warcradle's adoption of plastics and the modular battleships have inspired with DWars design, and thinking about how that can be applied to the storytelling of the Armoured Clash models.

But, just a thought.  I'm sure the renders will do it justice.

@RuleBritannia 

There's little point in comparing old DW to what Warcradle are doing. Old fluff, and old versions of tech no longer matter. Everything is weird sci fi now, for better or worse. Your best option is to just sit and wait and say nothing. The team aren't taking too much in the way of suggestions because the customer doesn't know what they want until they make it. Or at least that's the impression I get from them.

If you've read the new fluff in the WWX book there seems to e diverse approaches to being Covenant between monstrous construct reliant, warmongering Burson Carpathian who thinks he is making humanity tougher for a greater war, and this Science was meant to help Mankind Sturgeon, this Science was meant to help Britain to bring Pax Britannica of Brunel, and this Science was meant to make MOTHER RUSSIA STRONK Markov.  With plastics these differences in fluff could be represented on models to help them represent your dudes.