Sign in to follow this  
PraetorDragoon

Help with Marie Laveau

Hey Everyone,

One of my favourite models is the Legendary Marie Laveau. Rulewise she also seems interesting, being a big angry monster with magical tricks. Now, what would be a good way to expand her? It sadly appears there aren't many Nazombu's yet, so that would mean a regular posse. What are interesting choices to build around the fair lady of the swamps?

I interpreted her as a support type boss, working with a snake or two for some extra power to your main force. If you were to go down the route of generic posse, you could convert some similar scale zombies as hex beasts?

Although a strong unit on her own, Legendary Marie Laveau lacks the support of units with the Nazombu trait for her theme posse (much like Carcosa).

I'd actually play her in a faction posse and put her near a full unit of cheap Hex Cutthroats (6x30points each and a lot better than their Outlaws equivalents or any other hands unit for that points cost and they come with the Elite rule) as ablative wounds (through Take one for the Team because she lacks the Target Priority rule) and Longtree as a face to provide Tough for the Cutthroats.

The unit of Cutthroats could then have two Flamethrowers (because of Experienced Unit).  

Let Marie do the Hexbolting all along and if there's stuff that survives grill it with the flamethrowers OR you go into combat and clear out the rest, which could provide the unit with an additional Fortune Chip through Bloodthirsty.

EDIT:
Marie could also use Enervate on important enemy units before trying to kill them so that the odds of surviving because of Fortune-Rerolls are turned down a bit. 
She's got a Limit of 4, use it :)

As a further addition to the posse i'd recommend Slayn, as he can provide the Cutthroats and Longtree with mobile cover because of his Smoke Grenades AND he's a total bargain for what he can do. I.e. he can assassinate certain units with his Ammo Clip weapon and gains further Action Points because of Stone Cold Killer (plus he's also got the Elite rule).

If there are still points to spend i would look for some fast objective grabber like Attack Dogs, Reaver Berserkers or Bandit Outriders/Interceptors/Black Jacks.

And don't forget that Hexalith!

1 hour ago, Burson_Carpathian said:

Although a strong unit on her own, Legendary Marie Laveau lacks the support of units with the Nazombu trait for her theme posse (much like Carcosa).

I'd actually play her in a faction posse and put her near a full unit of cheap Hex Cutthroats (6x30points each and a lot better than their Outlaws equivalents or any other hands unit for that points cost and they come with the Elite rule) as ablative wounds (through Take one for the Team because she lacks the Target Priority rule) and Longtree as a face to provide Tough for the Cutthroats.

The unit of Cutthroats could then have two Flamethrowers (because of Experienced Unit).  

Let Marie do the Hexbolting all along and if there's stuff that survives grill it with the flamethrowers OR you go into combat and clear out the rest, which could provide the unit with an additional Fortune Chip through Bloodthirsty.

EDIT:
Marie could also use Enervate on important enemy units before trying to kill them so that the odds of surviving because of Fortune-Rerolls are a turned down a bit. 
She's got a Limit of 4, use it :)

As a further addition to the posse i'd recommend Slayn, as he can provide the Cutthroats and Longtree with mobile cover because of his Smoke Grenades AND he's a total bargain for what he can do. I.e. he can assassinate certain units with his Ammo Clip weapon and gains further Action Points because of Stone Cold Killer (plus he's also got the Elite rule).

If there are still points to spend i would look for some fast objective grabber like Attack Dogs, Reaver Berserkers or Bandit Outriders/Interceptors/Black Jacks.

And don't forget that Hexalith!

Thanks! So group up with a unit of Cutthroats in front, Marie & Longtree behind em. Then have some other slots as flankers?

Any opinion on Hex Beasts/Juiced Hex Beasts?

Also thanks of the FB links in your sig ;)

11 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Then have some other slots as flankers?

Yes, some fast units that can grab an objective.... OR...

Any opinion on Hex Beasts/Juiced Hex Beasts?

....if you've got more than one Hexalith, i.e. by taking Garratt Morden, Megan Wild, John Hunter Bennett, Maria Torres-Villa or Victor Beitel (per Underboss rule) as a face, you're getting plenty of 'Portals' to shove your units across the board. 

With such fast Hex Beasts they can really threaten the enemy and blow up units that are sitting on objective markers, don't forget to use Unstoppable for Ram actions, to get your enemy off such markers.

Also thanks of the FB links in your sig ;)

You are very welcome :)

EDIT: For the faces (except Beitel) you might want to look up the Absolute Power posse box which should hit the shelves this weekend, otherwise you might catch Megan Wild, John Hunter Bennett or Garratt Morden (-> Dark Senechal model) as single miniatures in a blister.

For the moment I was thinking of doing
Marie Laveau
4x Hex Gunmen
5x Hex Cutthroats
Nazombu Snake

Which nicely totals to a 680pts for starter level games. Though maybe using reavers might be better as I plan to pick up the Wiscani set in the future, which would allow some crossover.