Sign in to follow this  
TR_Mike

WWX Tunnel Fight Rules Draft v0.2

Last night I was idly browsing Reddit when I came across a very well done D&D dungeon set in a sewer system. I thought that would make an excellent setting for a narrative WWX game, but it would need some extra rules to crank up the thematic feel to 11. So I sat down today and threw together a quick draft of rules for playing games in a sewer complex. You could also use them for something like an underground tunnel system, a hidden Watcher outpost, or whatever you can think of. I'll be using this thread to keep track of changes and adjustments throughout. I'll be cooking up a few potential Adventures for this rule set over the next few days. which I'll happily share here and the Facebook group.

So without further ado, let's get started!

NOTE: The current rules listed here are version 0.2, as I've incorporated some of the feedback received in this thread along with adding some new terrain effects.

Wild West Exodus Tunnel Fighting Rules

Models can only move through the tunnels and doors on a Tunnel Fighting map. The portions of the table outside the walls are considered Impassable Terrain. A model with the SPIRIT keyword can pass through walls and doors as long as they end their Move action within a tunnel.

Cramped Conditions: Only Small, Medium, and Large based units (round and oval) can fir through the twisting confines of a tunnel complex. Units with the FLIGHT keyword may not make a Flight special move action.

Treacherous Ground: Mounted units must make a Quick check after either a Focused Move action or a Dash action. If the units fails, it is considered Wounded. Unit special rules ignoring Uneven Ground (Timman, Sure Foot, etc.) do not apply.

Narrow Corridors: All Torrent and Blast weapons have the Brutal special rule. If the weapon already has Brutal, it gains Lethal. If an Indirect weapon scatters and comes in contact with a wall or other terrain feature, mark that spot as the point of impact.

Doors:

Doors in a Tunnel Fighting map will have three different states: Open, Closed, and Locked.

·         Open Doors can be passed through with no movement penalty.

·         Closed Doors can be passed through with a -1 Quick penalty (the door needs to be opened first).

·         Locked Doors can be unlocked by spending one Action Point.

Itchy Trigger Finger: Models carrying a Ranged Weapon with the Close Work may make a free Give ‘Em Hell reaction when an enemy model declares a Charge action with a -1 Aim penalty with no effects applied for a critical success.

The Oppressive Blackness: Hands units must make a Yeller Check after the unit size has been decreased to two models. If the Hands unit is within 3” of a Boss, the Yeller Check can be re-rolled without using Fortune.

OPTIONAL: Stab In The Dark

All Ranged weapons have a range of 12”.

At the start of the game, each player places a numbered token representing their units. The tokens will move with the same Quick value as the units they represent. When two units come within 15” of each other, both players can make a Mind check to determine if the units have been revealed. If the check is passed, the opposing player removes the token and replaces it with the models from that unit. If one player fails their Mind check, the opposing player’s token remains in place. Units are not able to declare Charge actions against tokens more than 12” away. If two tokens are able to draw line of sight to each other within 12”, they are automatically revealed.

EXAMPLE: Sam is controlling a unit of Raider Cutthroats is making its way through the sewers of a Promethean complex in an attempt to steal a particular galvanic contraption from Lady Augusta Byron. The Cutthroats turn a corner and are able to draw line of sight to a token 14” away. The Raider Cutthroats pass their Mind check and discover a Brute shambling through the tunnels. Bill, the Enlightened player, fails his Mind check and does not see the Cutthroats. If the Cutthroats move 2” closer to the Brute, they will be automatically revealed.

Watch Yer Aim!: Any Shoot actions with a non-template weapon that roll a critical failure have the potential to ricochet back into the unit. Roll another d10. On a roll of 6+, the shot bounces off the wall and hits the shooting unit. Resolve as normal. Ricocheted shots will have no effect on a critical success.

Terrain Effects

Perilous Sewers: The following terrain and effects can be added to a Tunnel Fighting game using the Sewers terrain. Both players must agree on which terrain pieces are considered Perilous Sewers beforehand if the Adventure does not specify.

·         Rusted Grate: If a model crosses over a Rusty Grate, it must make an unmodified Quick check. If the check fails, the grate collapses and swallows the model into the maze below. The model is considered Wounded and removed from the table.

·         Toxic Sludge: Any models passing through Toxic Sludge must make a Quick check or gain the HAZARD and TAINTED conditions.

·         Flammable Miasma: Models passing through a cloud of Flammable Miasma must pass a Grit check or receive the Hazard condition. Models with the MASKED special rule are unaffected. If a shot passes through a Flammable Miasma cloud, it has a chance of detonating. On a roll of a 6+, the cloud explodes. Place a torrent template down every tunnel accessible from the center of the cloud. Models under the template must take a Grit check against Piercing -1. Models that pass their Grit check are pushed back 1" and gain the Disordered condition until their next activation.

Natural Perils: The following terrain and effects can be added to a Tunnel Fighting game using the Cave Network terrain. Both players must agree on which terrain pieces are considered Perilous Machinery beforehand if the Adventure does not specify.

·         Razor-sharp Stalagmites: The terrain feature counts as both Difficult and Hazardous terrain.

·         Razor-sharp Stalagtites: If an indirect weapon misses, it has the chance of hitting the ceiling of the cave and raining stalagtites onto the enemy. Roll another d10. On a roll of a 7+, the indirect shot strikes the ceiling. Use the second d10 roll to determine distance and direction for the blast template. All models caught under the template must make a Grit check against Piercing -2.

·         Unstable Ground: If a model crosses over Unstable Ground, it must make an unmodified Quick check. If the check fails, the ground crumbles beneath their feet and swallows the models. All models that failed are considered Wounded and removed from the table.

Infernal Contraptions: The following terrain and effects can be added to a Tunnel Fighting game using the Infernal Contraptions terrain. Both players must agree on which terrain pieces are considered Perilous Sewers beforehand if the Adventure does not specify.

·         Steam Pipe: If a template weapon catches a portion of a wall designated as a Steam Pipe, roll to see if the shot bursts a Steam Pipe. On a 6+, the pipe bursts. Place a template at the point of impact. All models under the template must make a Grit check against scalding steam (or whatever otherworldly substance was being carried through the pipeworks) with a -1 Piercing value.

·         Frayed Wiring: If a model passes within 2” of Frayed Wiring, it can trigger a Galvanic Eruption. The model must make a Grit check against Piercing -2. If the check fails, all model within 2” of the initial model must make a Grit check against Piercing -1. Every Grit check that fails will result in every model within 2” (not including models already struck) must make a Grit check against Piercing 0. If any Grit checks are passed, the Galvanic Eruption will not arc out to nearby models. Models with the AUTOMATA, MACHINE, or VEHICLE keywords are more susceptible to Galvanic Eruption. The distances for these models are 3" rather than 2", and the Piercing value is increased by 1 if they are the first model to trigger a Galvanic Eruption. If they are not the first, the Piercing value is unmodified if the Galvanic Eruption jumps to another model.

EXAMPLE: Wyatt Earp is standing 3" behind a pair of UR-30 Lawbots when they wander too close to a patch of Frayed Wiring. The first Lawbot makes a Grit check against Piercing -3 and fails. Wyatt Earp must then make a Grit check against Piercing -2.

·         Toxic Sludge: Any models passing through Toxic Sludge must make a Quick check or gain the HAZARD and TAINTED conditions.

Otherworldly Machines: The following terrain and effects can be added to a Tunnel Fighting game using the Otherworldly Machines terrain. Both players must agree on which terrain pieces are considered Perilous Sewers beforehand if the Adventure does not specify. Unless stated in the Adventure, the Stab in the Dark rule cannot be used with Otherworldly Machines.

·         Malfunctioning Teleporter: A unit moving within 2" of a Malfunctioning Teleporter must make a Mind check. If the check fails, the unit is transported 2d10 inches in a random direction determined by a third die. If the transport places the unit outside of the map, move the unit the minimum distance needed to bring them onto the playable board area. If the 2d10 roll is a double critical failure, the unit is destroyed. If the 2d10 roll is a double critical success, the controlling player can choose where to place them anywhere within 12" of the Malfunctioning Teleporter.

·         Sentry Turret: A Sentry Turret is a stationary unit that will fire on any model coming within range. It has the following stats:

Q-, M6, A4, G5, F-, L1

Rules: Tasked, Xenoshield

Weapon: Dual Disruptor Blasters

Range 12", Piercing -2, ROA 4

·         Power Nodes: A unit passing a Power Node can attempt to use it to juice their weapons up for a turn. Any unit wishing to do so will need to make a Mind check with a -1 modifier. If the check fails, nothing happpens. If the check succeeds, the unit's weapons gain either +1 ROA or -1 Piercing until their next activation. If the checks is a critical success, the unit's weapons gain both effects. If the check is a critical failure, the Power Node explodes. Place the blast template over the Power Node. All models under the template must make a Grit check against Piercing -1.

Haunted Catacombs: The following terrain and effects can be added to a Tunnel Fighting game using the Haunted Catacombs terrain. Both players must agree on which terrain pieces are considered Perilous Sewers beforehand if the Adventure does not specify.

·         Restless Tomb: A unit passing within 2" of a Restless Tomb must make an unmodified Mind check. If the check succeeds, nothing happens. If the check fails, the unit gains the Disordered condition until their next activation and -1 Mind for the rest of the battle.

·         Possessed: A unit passing within 2" of a Restless Tomb must make an unmodified Mind check. If the check succeeds, nothing happens. If the check fails, the unit becomes Possessed and must make an immediate Charge action against the nearest unit.

·         Bat Colony: A unit moving within 2" of a Malfunctioning Teleporter must make a Quick check. If the check fails, a colony of bats is startled and immediately attempt to flee the Catacombs. Place the blast template over the unit and roll a d10. The Bat Colony immediately scatters in that direction. All units that fall under the blast template must make a Quick check. All models that fail their Quick check gain the Disordered condition until their next activation. A model with a Torrent weapon can attempt to shoot down the Bat Colony. The Bat Colony has a Grit of 4.

Wow this is really cool and there are some great ideas in here.  You made a really well balanced and intuitive system.  Do you mind some constructive criticisms on a couple parts though?

Treacherous terrain:  The fact that you called out tinman as not working against it makes me believe that sure footed still counters it?  If so it is probably better to call that out explicitly.

Indirect: you both call out indirect as colliding with any wall it hits when scattering but also as being unusable.  An option that I was thinking is letting indirect turn corners.  So a person can only target someone with indirect if there are tunnels (and open doors) that connect them and distance from shooter to target is measured following the tunnels.  So if you have a 12" grenade launcher, you could fire it 6" straight, and then turn 90deg and go 6" to the left to hit a target but if it was 7" left then even though indirect could normally hit it, in the tunnels it can't .  

I feel like Itchy Trigger finger and Oppressive Blackness should be optional rules.  I understand trying to make close work guns stronger in close quarters, but the descriptor is designed to permit the guns to be used in ways other guns can't rather than boosting them while they are close.  I guess I don't see why being in a tunnel makes close work weapons work better than they normally work outside of tunnels.  If highlighting the strength of close work is important, why not impose a -1 or -2 aim check on all non template or close work weapons (that way shotguns which are also close quarter guns can still shine). 

As for Oppressive blackness I feel like it might weaken hand units too much.  Every rule about this game mode penalizes grouped units:  narrow firing lanes hinder large groups of units because not all the units can fire (and if they can, other models will act as cover for the target), template and blast weapons are far stronger (which is anti group units), and now if 2 models die then you have a chance to lose everything.  I agree that tunnel fighting is far scarier and thus increasing yeller checks, but while not increase the minimum threshold to when there are 2 or less units.  That doubles the number of yeller checks you have to make but doesn't completely kill 8 models if you roll low after losing 2.

Frayed wiring: I feel like machines/constructs should be more susceptible.  Perhaps double the range the charge can bounce both to and from machines/constructs and increase the piercing?

Yeah, the Indirect stuff was a typo. I'd originally wanted to remove them entirely thinking they wouldn't be that useful in narrow tunnels, but changed my mind and forgot to remove that statement. I thought about firing around corners, but that might be a bit much to remember rules-wise.

I did make the changes to Itchy Trigger Finger, Oppressive Blackness, and Frayed Wiring, since they're good ideas.