Kryptik

Eagerly awaiting reveals, my take on the situation

When Spartan went under I had just started into my second doctorate, so much of my information will be likely public already or irrevocably incorrect. I hope my questions are not too ludicrous they do not warrant a response. Anyway, once I heard Spartan was going under I immediately fell into a weird gamer depression. I love naval combat and no other system has spoken to me the same way DWs did. Only recently did I realize we are close to getting this awesome game back! I think I read it should be around October of this year, which is great. Relatively speaking, that seems to be not a horrible turn around time.

Now many purists of the DWs we all loved before might take great offense to what I am about to say, and I can understand it. Heck, I have been through this same situation with one other beloved game. It is not unheard of for a game to experience a massive overhaul and while initially the backlash is great typically things turn out at least as good if not better in the end. Only for those that are able to accept the changes and design choices, that is. For me the last system in which this occurred was Warhammer Fantasy Battles (RIP). When Age of Sigmar came out, oh boy. Anyone who was into WFB likely saw the guy burn his entire Tzeentch collection out of spite (mostly to himself, given that he has started playing again so had to spend MORE money). Now the issues with the backlash extended beyond just a change in format for AoS, the game was released without points for heaven's sake. However, the change from regimented blocks to hordes of dudes needing to simply hold hands across the table left many old timers in the lurch. What happened, you might ask? Well, the company did what it needed to and now it is thriving and people can certainly find the awesomeness that is within those rules. It took time, but I think I like AoS MORE than I ever did WFB. Streamlining the game, for me, actually made the tactics DEEPER in the end instead of lighter. I think some people confuse crunchy rules with depth, and to that I wonder why. Because it feels more involved when you have to flip through rulebooks every 5 minutes? I think depth in a game comes from easy to understand rules that then allow the mind to focus on the tactics and strategies unfolding in front of them.

I hope that holds true here. I will say I loved DWs to the point I had 2 enormous fleets and 2 more that were extremely robust (as in: I could never have fielded the entire fleet for a battle that would not last a minimum of two days IRL to complete). I am sure there will be things I miss about the old system, but if we can be honest some of the rules were not only clunky but finicky (Ack Ack and boarding I hated you so much). I am ready to dive head first into this new system. Truly. I have since begun a YouTube channel for AoS that will assuredly feature DWs 3.0 heavily. I have begun to run AoS tournaments, I believe I will be doing that for DWs 3.0 in no time. I am ready.

What I do not know is, well, what you know. Is there a collection of information somewhere in a nice, neat area of the interwebs that contains the information on the lore (as I heard it is changing somewhat), new concepts (my googlefu is garbage, but my pubmedfu is excellent though useless for this endeavor), and finally what if any old ships are being carried over? Not that I plan to play my old stuff, I will be starting fresh and thus will be using my massive fleets as giveaways on my YouTube channel (I run that thing at an expense, I do not do it for money). If I give the models away I want to know that the person receiving them will have a playable fleet. Whatever is not getting used will likely get chucked to open up space for sexy new fleets as they come out.

Again, I am sorry if this is simply clogging up the system with inane  bullcrud but I have already lost 15 minutes on this process which I really needed to spend on studying. Any help or useful information is much appreciated. I have requested to the facebook group already, and if that is the place where all this information is then excellent so long as it is easy to find. Thank you guys!

Good luck with your channel. As far as sources of information Facebook is your friend. Check the official club Sturginium Lounge and latest video QaA. For unoffcial chat with people about 2.0 and 2.5 rules look for Peoples Front of Antarctica. Then there is Discord for people consolidating 2.5 rules and orbats. And of course head to www.manbattlestations.com, do not miss their blog section nor forum.

Anyway, most info is still yet to be released from WC in coming weeks.

Edited: for lore I hope you already checked relevant sections here on forum and blog section on WC official page.

The channel is TellTaleNoob Does Gaming. Currently only discusses AoS but the set up for DWs will likely be the same, where the community chooses a faction and I will build a force and dive through the entire faction's stats, tactics, uses, and weaknesses model by model. Thank you, Sircan. I finally got into the FB group but I think, if information is coming soon, I will just wait to see what WC releases to start coverage on the lore then. I was never huge into it before, but would like to get in on the bottom level with their reboot. Cannot wait to hear from the studio!

20 hours ago, sleeping_squirrel said:

Good luck with your channel. As far as sources of information Facebook is your friend. Check the official club Sturginium Lounge and latest video QaA. For unoffcial chat with people about 2.0 and 2.5 rules look for Peoples Front of Antarctica. Then there is Discord for people consolidating 2.5 rules and orbats. And of course head to www.manbattlestations.com, do not miss their blog section nor forum.

Anyway, most info is still yet to be released from WC in coming weeks.

Edited: for lore I hope you already checked relevant sections here on forum and blog section on WC official page.

Facebook will never be my friend :(

2 hours ago, Asuo said:

Would another form of forum appeal more to you? 

This forum or a discord server would be fine, but I have no intention of signing up for Facebook. As long as announcements are made on this forum though, I have zero issues :)