Sign in to follow this  
Xireon

May 4th Q&A discussion

So I took the liberty of hijacking some notes about yesterday’s Q&A session from manbattlestations.com - Thanks for the write-up mate!

also, I added some of my own thoughts below:

Firestorm Armada

• Is there any work going on with FSA?
  1. Yes, it’s in parallel development; FSA 3rd Edition
  2. Conversations with “several groups” on rules
  3. Working on the background
  4. Nothing to show off at the moment other than partial bits of concept art
  5. Plan is to aggregate factions, similar to how its being done in DW
  6. Working on plastics for FSA
  7. Space provides unique design opportunities
  8. No scale change for new FSA

Planetfall

• Working to solidify FSA universe
  1. Working in land combat in the process
  2. Want to make sure there is a logical in-universe reason for ground combat

Warcradle Classics

• Classic DW and FSA miniatures will be available starting June 2018
  • Limited Quantities
  • Available online or from local retailers
  • WC is still sorting through molds, months later. Wants to make sure that minis going out the door with WC on it are good quality.
  1. Manufacturing team is going through the process of testing molds.
  2. Process of testing molds generates sellable miniatures, which will be made available.
  3. Each week, new minis will be added to the available list
  4. Retailers will be able to order them into their stores as well as direct sales from the WC website.
  5. Miniatures will be from the following games: FSA, DW, and Planet Fall
  6. Quantities will be limited
  7. Models will be unchanged, exactly out of the molds
  8. Packaging will be generic. Not intended as a full retail release.
  9. These are “get by” minis

On consolidation of factions:

I hope they leave the main structure intact. So Kurak Alliance vs Zenian League, and Marauders as an oddball. As I understood from a past answer somewhere, they were looking into rolling natural allies into their main factions. I sincerely hope that EACH individual race will remain playable as a “pure” fleet at least. And the Zenian side will need to get buffed with the Saurians and the Illosians (Alex Mann posted an excellent write-up for the latter on his blog some time ago).

On the plastics:

Not sure what to think here. One thing is that I like my models a bit on the heavy side, and plastics feel flimsy to me. On the other hand this would eliminate the need for multiple pegs (a pet peeve of mine) and it would open up more options for different ship types. Though I hope they keep the ruleswise customizability (hardpoints and options) intact, but wont have us go all WYSIWYG with multiple different drop-on components.

On the unique design opportunities:

Curious here. Please include advanced, detachable, flight stands and, if possible, bases with dials for HP and CP at least. Also, please standardize base sizes with their corresponding ship classes.

On the Classic models:

Great move! If possible, please make sure at least patrol fleets for the core 6 are available, even if this would require a new mould, as they are great for drawing in new players. And maybe offer the special ships from the 2-player sets separately or per race as well. And, as a special request, please consider selling the half rings for my beloved OmniDyne separately, as Spartan did never fulfill my order for these. My wallet is cringing in terror already :D

Thanks Warcradle for the huge effort so far!

I like the consolidation of factions/races.  Seriously towards the end it was getting a little ridiculous as new factions got released with more ships than some of the earlier factions (Ryushi vs Xelocians vs Veydreth).  Some of secondary races I think should be bumped over to Marauders (like the Veydreth and Kedorians).

Plastics offer us flexibility in a release that resin cannot (at least without making crazy expensive), a cruiser box could offer us the ability to build:  cruiser/heavy cruiser/assault cruiser or even light cruisers.  Same with a carrier or even a battleship in plastic.  

I'd write more but I need to get ready for work.

@Xireon kind of against a complicated new base system for tracking hp and cp, a dice works just fine and I dont have to rebase any of my ships. If it aint broke dont make measuring from the flightpeg more of a pain!

I like what we've heard for the new production. In the past I'd been very against consolidating factions but I can see now that there is a strong point to that. The switch to plastic is a godsend for stripping paint and custom modelling, resin can be a real pain sometimes!

I think if we're to see a major faction centered around each of the Core 6, Marauders will likely have to be distributed out to the new alliances rather than added to. And I believe they talked about how each subfaction within a faction in Dystopian will be fieldable as a standalone fleet, but the alliances will be a lot easier to mix and match within.

For those of us not in the know, what does the consolidation in DW look like?

Removing factions? As in, no more Ryushi ever. Or just merging them together so instead of being able to play an Omnidyne fleet you instead take a 'Directorate' fleet and take 90% of the ships as Omnidyne models?

6 hours ago, Xystophoroi said:

For those of us not in the know, what does the consolidation in DW look like?

Removing factions? As in, no more Ryushi ever. Or just merging them together so instead of being able to play an Omnidyne fleet you instead take a 'Directorate' fleet and take 90% of the ships as Omnidyne models?

It boils down to WC is combining the factions from WWE and DWars.  So like the Covenant of Antarctica will be under the Covenant of the Enlightened which will included the CoA, and other secret societies.  The Immortal Celestial Empire will be both China and Japan as one faction.  A good example for us, Terran Satellite Charter will included both Terrans and Hawker factions under the Terran faction name.   (I don't work for WC so I'm just inferring from what data I've been able to glean on here.)  

3 hours ago, northerndragons said:

It boils down to WC is combining the factions from WWE and DWars.  So like the Covenant of Antarctica will be under the Covenant of the Enlightened which will included the CoA, and other secret societies.  The Immortal Celestial Empire will be both China and Japan as one faction.  A good example for us, Terran Satellite Charter will included both Terrans and Hawker factions under the Terran faction name.   (I don't work for WC so I'm just inferring from what data I've been able to glean on here.)  

Yeah, that's about right. You'll be able to field a whole fleet of any subfaction, but the fleet will technically be under the banner of the alliance, in terms of how the fleet is selected. They used the French as an example in the Q&A. I'm fairly certain they are not keen on removing any factions, but every faction will likely be part of a group of factions.

23 hours ago, Wolfgang Jannesen said:

@Xireon kind of against a complicated new base system for tracking hp and cp, a dice works just fine and I dont have to rebase any of my ships. If it aint broke dont make measuring from the flightpeg more of a pain!

Does that mean you enjoy moving two dice and various status markers along with each model, and have never seen these markers get cross-contaminated or your damage dice get bump-rolled? Dice don’t work fine, particularly for high model-count games (Grand Fleet), but they are better than using paper HP/CP markers.

And why are you assuming a new base design would make measuring to/from a flight peg difficult, or that you would even need to make measurements with a flight peg?

15 hours ago, Ryjak said:

Does that mean you enjoy moving two dice and various status markers along with each model, and have never seen these markers get cross-contaminated or your damage dice get bump-rolled? Dice don’t work fine, particularly for high model-count games (Grand Fleet), but they are better than using paper HP/CP markers.

And why are you assuming a new base design would make measuring to/from a flight peg difficult, or that you would even need to make measurements with a flight peg?

I just found I didnt like the bulbous flightbases such as you'd get with Rawcliffe Star Trek models. Full honesty man I've been playing with markers and dice since day one and I think you're exaggerating how much trouble dice are. This is fully a subjective opinion, I just like those big clear bases.

1 hour ago, Ryjak said:

I never liked the cardboard cut out chits or markers Spartan gave us in the boxes so I went with poker chips yes colored poker chips .... they are large easy to see easy to stack and cheep. they hard to forget to move with the model. I just place them behind the model ....It works for me not saying that it is perfect and will work for all just a thought I would put out there for my fellow gamers

Thanks all contributers for this write-up.

I am curious for the faction aggregation, as i own a Sorylian and Veydreth fleet. Plastics is something not primarly on my list, the Spartan resin did a good job.

An interesting point is the "Warcradle Classic" line. Perhaps some of our players can complete their fleets. :)

All in all it sounds as if Firestorm is in good hands, and i like, that WC does not rush to bring new rules, models, stuff, but rather takes their time. I and my opponents can wait and in the meantime play  with 2.0. 

From Spain, Valencia, we are eager for news, we have a group of 50 people playing every weekend and miss the chance to enjoy the universe Firestorm Armada and Planetfall. I encourage the developers.

22 hours ago, Wolfgang Jannesen said:

I'm desperate to see more concept art. Was that Terran or Hawker?

Looked like Hawker to me. I'm glad that their designs are close enough to the originals for us to know what they are!:)

1 hour ago, Skyhawk said:

Looked like Hawker to me. I'm glad that their designs are close enough to the originals for us to know what they are!:)

It could also be a more tubular new look for the Terrans as well, but I don't know if it necessarily has their aesthetic over the Hawkers. I'm definitely with you there