Warcradle Daren

Getting Started With The Gunslinger League

This topic will follow the antics of the Warcradle Trailblazer Team as we start brand new Posses and fight our way through the Gunslinger League which can be found here:

http://www.wildwestexodus.com/themes/community-theme-16/downloads/organised-play/WWX-Gunslinger-OP.pdf

Facebook.jpg

Edited by Warcradle Daren

So you've got your hands on a copy of the rules, got your Posse together and want to start gaming right?

Then why not start a Gunslinger League with your gaming buddies?

The League is designed to help people engage with the game by kicking your battles off with a Posse Starter Set then as you progress you get to add more and more points each time you play leading to a cataclysmic 1500pt game at the end which sets you up perfectly for the Gunslinger Tournaments!

So how does it work?

Step 1 - Find some gaming buds that want to play Wild West Exodus

Step 2 - Grab a Starter Posse Each

Step 3 - Download the pack

Step 4 - Agree timings for each stage of the League - this can be the most difficult stage as the real world has an annoying habit of interfering with our precious hobby time. For my group we agreed that each stage of the league would last one month. 

Step 5 - GET PLAYING!!!! in the first round players use a 700pt list that is LIMITED to the models from the Starter Posse set. On average most sets rock in at 700pts or over so you can dive straight in.

SO WHAT YOU WAITING FOR? GO FIND THEM BUDDIES!!!!!!!

Facebook.jpg

Here we go!

I've assembled my Absolute Power Starter Posse Set but before i choose my Posse i'm going to do a quick breakdown of each character to assess their strengths and weaknesses and how they will fit in with my playing style..

THE THIRD MAN

At 250pts The third Man is quite a chunk of points for a BOSS  but he's an absolute beast and here's why...

STATS

Although his stats (bar Mind) are average THE THIRD MAN is still an  " in your face" kind of character. He has no close combat weapons but boy does he bring the shooty bang!

WEAPONS

TTM brings not  one, not two but FOUR ranged attacks to the table! TENEBROUS SHROUD is a great weapon for dealing with characters. It has the BLAST quality which will stop your opponent from using QUICK AND THE DEAD and ATTUNED which means when he focuses this attack it becomes PRC - 4 (Attuned makes your PRC value equal to half your MIND value) which will also ignore METTLE meaning that most characters will be instantly vaporised! SHADOW PORTAL gives him a bit more range but with COMPLEX his AIM will drop to 3 making the shot a bit of a hail mary and with PRC -3 i'd rather be using TENEBROUS SHROUD, however with the PORTAL WEAPON quality it becomes very useful for moving troops around once all your HEXALITHS have been destroyed. With a base of 13 TTM can reliably fire off PORTALS at quite a distance! NECROTIC BREATH is your classic HEX TORRENT weapon and is ideal for hitting enemies in deep cover or in buildings, especially with the ENGULF quality and PRC -2. HEX BOLT is another HEX classic and with SHRED, REFINED and LETHAL on the roll of a 9 or 10 thanks to REFINED plus ROA 3 PRC -2 you can say goodbye to any annoying small units...  So basically if you're within 12" of The Third Man you'd better hide under a table and paint yourself white to deflect the blast...... 

COMMON RULES

METTLE, TARGET PRIORITY and LARGESSE as standard but wait - NO QUICK AND THE DEAD!!!!! You may think that this is a huge weakness however due to his supernatural abilities TTM comes with SHROUDED instead. So rather than a once per turn 50/50 QUICK check every successful hit against this bad boy must be re-rolled so a more than fair trade off in my eyes!

SPECIAL RULES

DARK COUNCIL. First of all this awesome rule allows me to field a HEXALITH. Second of all it allows me to control TAINTED units in my force OR my enemies. it's costly at 2 AP but a free action for your own guys or the chance to kill an enemy BOSS with his own Posse is not to be ignored. Just be ready for cries of "that's not fair" and other salty goodness from your opponent when it happens.... IMPERVIOUS is quite frankly obscene. Although we've indicated that TTM can be quite squishy due to a lack of QATD, ignoring the PRC value when it comes to GRIT checks makes this evil old devil very tough... LEECHED ABILITY is another rule that's going to bring on those table flipping moments by stealing a special rule from a kill. Just imagine dropping WYATT EARP with a well placed TENEBROUS SHROUD then stealing his BUNKER ability for +2 GRIT.... oh my... FATEWEAVER is another expensive ability but you can seriously ruin your opponents plans by messing with their ACTION or ADVENTURE deck. NODE OF POWER is just wrong. Plain wrong. Picture this if you will.... I activate TTM and rain down hell on the enemy with 4 FORTUNE plus whatever AP's i can draw from my cards. Then all that FORTUNE comes back at the end of his activation. That'll hopefully see me through the rest of the  turn. Then at the end of the turn my FORTUNE comes back again!!!!! Not only that ANY friendly model may use his FORTUNE, not just members of his Posse. The only thing that could make that any funnier would be if you had one or two RESTORE cards in your hand....

i can't wait to get this guy on the table.

Next up: THE THIRD MANS loyal bodyguard - KREECHUR!

2018-05-04.jpg

Great rundown Daz. It's fantastic to have all these things gone over, I think most players would miss a rule here or there as there's so much with this guy. Dark Council especially. When I first used Francis Tumblety to give some Gatling Brutes an extra shoot action my opponent was not best pleased. ;) 

Just one thing, I think the Attuned on Tenebrous Shroud is only on the crit sadly (unless you know something I don't, which is more than likely).

Already ordered a couple of boxes of Hex Beasts and Juiced Hex Beasts in preparation for the Absolute Power posse box with some Gunmen/Cutthroats on my painting table as we speak. Can't wait to see your thoughts on the rest of the box. Roll on Kreechur!

3 hours ago, Warcradle Daren said:

Step 5 - GET PLAYING!!!! in the first round players use a 700pt list that is LIMITED to the models from the Starter Posse set. On average most sets rock in at 700pts or over so you can dive straight in.

So if you want to field the Absolute Power Posse box you'd have to stick to the Hex Faction Posse as the Absolute Power Posse doesn't have enough face slots for the models that are shipped within the box right?
Will the Absolute Power Posse card see a revision? Because that'll be the next box /faction i'm going to build up.

39 minutes ago, Burson_Carpathian said:

So if you want to field the Absolute Power Posse box you'd have to stick to the Hex Faction Posse as the Absolute Power Posse doesn't have enough face slots for the models that are shipped within the box right?
Will the Absolute Power Posse card see a revision? Because that'll be the next box /faction i'm going to build up.

i'm running the Hex Faction Posse rather than Absolute Power due to the limitations. To be fair you get to use more Hexaliths with the models in the set than you would through your Theme Bonus anyway!