Xireon

Model availability

Dear Warcradle staff,

When you acquired Spartan Games' inventory, was there any stock left of the newer models? And. if so, are you planning on selling these models (or reproducing them if no stock was left) any time soon?
I know you are planning to release a new edition after you are done working on DW, but if you could at least get some models out there it would be easier to get (back) into the game and introduce new people.

Thanks!

They have stated that there was no stock or inventory when they received the goods from SG.  Some of this info showed up in the Dystopian forum:

On 1/27/2018 at 6:47 AM, Warcradle Richard said:

Ok, where are we. 

We literally had all the molds and masters etc chucked into pallet containers. When they arrived with us.  When a company enters administration usually it isn't an orderly and organized process.  So we had this huge amount of stuff that we have had to work our way through. Including an additional 25 pallets found in another location, that though it had no value, was really an important thing for us to be able to control the disposal of.  

Then we have had to back up and protect the huge amount of data for the assets. Well over 16TB, that wasn't well protected. So we had to build the local storage solution, then ensure it was backed up and safe whatever happened in transit.   Lots of issues with the files... We had to audit them to remove any items related to Halo. 

Then we have to start looking at SKUs.  I know it seems simple to say here is a mold, that must be a single product. But it isn't like that at all.  Most of the molds are not labeled in any way.  We have mold labels at Warcradle which are actually molded into the mold making process.  So we have to identify what constitutes a product then start finding the molds for them.  We already have an ERP system at Warcradle to put the data in, but though there was an equivalent on the Spartan kit we acquired,  It had been deactivated months before administration due to non-payment so we didn't have access. So building assembly lists for products takes a while.

Add to that there being almost no Studio minis present... Despite them being photographed everywhere in packaging and books, and then lots of missing equipment that had managed to vanish between going into administration and us visiting... amazingly it was a selection of equipment that would allow manufacturing of a wide range of products. One of the 3d printers vanishing.  The list of frustrations goes on. 

So since then, we have been building data, assessing molds, getting data into our ERP and expanding production facilities. Had all our creative guys work on design libraries for the games and various factions too. Making our facilities safe etc. For example, we have proper ventilation and air quality infrastructure for casting environments and resin residues are dealt with responsibly. We have proper health and safety plans. As opposed to just chucking out empty resin buckets at the back of the factory like Spartan did.

Loads of meetings and investment in how things are going to be arranged moving forwards.  

It is important that we do things properly.

Damn... I didn't realize it was that bad... I thought I read they're having to basically remake some of the models from scratch.  (might have been a failbook post or something)

@Xireon  Is there a specific sculpt you were looking for? 

The Firestorm Armada Shipyards facebook group was a crucial tool in the three fleets that I managed to put together since finding the game in late 2017. Between that and ebay it can be daunting finding models but there are certainly fleets available right now. With the right chemicals you shpuld be able to strip acrylic paint off of resin no problem too!

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Jannesen said:

With the right chemicals you shpuld be able to strip acrylic paint off of resin no problem too

Scalecoat does a pretty good job at paint stripping, just don't leave the model in there for too long or it may get soft.

9 hours ago, Toxic_Rat said:

They have stated that there was no stock or inventory when they received the goods from SG.  Some of this info showed up in the Dystopian forum:

WOW!
I knew Spartan Games was not the most professional of companies, but this is crazy.

8 hours ago, northerndragons said:

Damn... I didn't realize it was that bad... I thought I read they're having to basically remake some of the models from scratch.  (might have been a failbook post or something)

@Xireon  Is there a specific sculpt you were looking for? 

When Spartan Games went belly-up, I sold off most of the stuff I had, and I never picked up the new Xelocians and Corsairs. These are what I'm after now as I love the sculpts, especially the Xelocians.

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Jannesen said:

The Firestorm Armada Shipyards facebook group was a crucial tool in the three fleets that I managed to put together since finding the game in late 2017. Between that and ebay it can be daunting finding models but there are certainly fleets available right now. With the right chemicals you shpuld be able to strip acrylic paint off of resin no problem too!

Already asking on the FB page, but thanks for the tip :)

5 hours ago, Skyhawk said:

Scalecoat does a pretty good job at paint stripping, just don't leave the model in there for too long or it may get soft.

I have tried Dettol, which has ruined some mini's. That stuff makes paint turn into rubber when the least amount of water gets in, and it tends to eat the minis after some time. Also, I tried rubbing alcohol, but maybe it's just my stripping skills which are lacking...

36 minutes ago, Xireon said:

Already asking on the FB page, but thanks for the tip :)

I have tried Dettol, which has ruined some mini's. That stuff makes paint turn into rubber when the least amount of water gets in, and it tends to eat the minis after some time. Also, I tried rubbing alcohol, but maybe it's just my stripping skills which are lacking...

I've also used Dettol in the past, if you go that way you have to rinse off in fresh Dettol. They will smell of Dettol of months/years. My box still has a faint whiff of it years later. I now forever associated my dindrenzi with antiseptic and visa versa.

IPA (not the beer! Isopropyl Alcohol aka propan-2-ol aka rubbing alcohol) is much better, its actually the active ingredient in Dettol for stripping but as it doesn't contain all the other stuff paints don't go so gunky. 

For removing paint:

Aceton  > Metal (DIY store or pund/euro /dollar store nailpolish remover

Try isopropyl alcohol for plastic and resin. (pharmacy medical cleaning supplies). You may also want to use a jewelery soundwave cleaner in combination here.

With resin i'd be carfelu as resin is not = resin tehre are very different compounds and they can react different to chemicals.

Best of Luck.

3 hours ago, Xireon said:

When Spartan Games went belly-up, I sold off most of the stuff I had, and I never picked up the new Xelocians and Corsairs. These are what I'm after now as I love the sculpts, especially the Xelocians.

I sold out about a year before that but now I've got the itch again and the other armada game I play isn't cutting it.  (even though it's a very well know IP)

Try Alphaspel, the site says they have them on 'external stock' I do not know if that means they have to order them in or if they have them in a warehouse.  I e-mailed them a week ago about placing an order and they never got back to me.

3 hours ago, Warcradle Richard said:

We definitely will get some casts out this year. We are midway through quite a lot of construction work to expand our manufacturing capacity. It should be complete by mid May, so we should be in a better position to announce any availability then.

This is great news to hear. Though might May can easily become end-of just with the general unexpected things that slow up projects (as can happen to any plan). Still puts a good light that we'll hear some plans and developments in early June :)

3 hours ago, Warcradle Richard said:

We definitely will get some casts out this year. We are midway through quite a lot of construction work to expand our manufacturing capacity. It should be complete by mid May, so we should be in a better position to announce any availability then.

I hope you're prepared for a flood of pre-orders from me alone!

@ staff here is a thought when you people do start to make models available again would WC do something like "A FULL FLEET BOX "   That would be made up of  1) DN   1) BB  1or2) BC or Gunships  1) Carrier   3)cruisers   and 3 to 4 Frigates depending  on faction. I ask this because there are some out there who have gotten out of FSA  and now want back in  to the game after selling there fleets and those  noobs who want a complete  fleet W/O having to pay extra for single ships of the line. price it about the same as a two player battle box set .  Just a thought 

5 hours ago, Warcradle Richard said:

WOO WHOO!!!!!!!!YPEE!!! THE 501ST SHALL BE EXPANDED! 

Thankyou for the information @Warcradle Richard it is greatly appreciated!

40 minutes ago, Skyhawk said:

WOO WHOO!!!!!!!!YPEE!!! THE 501ST SHALL BE EXPANDED! 

Thankyou for the information @Warcradle Richard it is greatly appreciated!

'...and as one, a thousand heads turned towards the cosmos to hear the ethereal voice of Warcradle Richard resounding through the collective psyche. As one they raised their hands to their Heralds and chanted "NEW MODELS WOOOOOOOOO!"'

7 hours ago, Warcradle Richard said:

Firestorm models?

7 hours ago, northerndragons said:

I sold out about a year before that but now I've got the itch again and the other armada game I play isn't cutting it.  (even though it's a very well know IP)

Try Alphaspel, the site says they have them on 'external stock' I do not know if that means they have to order them in or if they have them in a warehouse.  I e-mailed them a week ago about placing an order and they never got back to me.

Thanks a lot for the tip!

I found the Xelocians I wanted there. It seems external stock adds some time (I think it was a week or something) to the order processing time, so I just went and punched in the order.
Let's see how it goes...

Xelocians are not the most powerful fleet (I proxied them once and got creamed by Sorylians), but their T1 ships are so awesome <3

Now I'm hoping WC will get some stuff into production soon(tm).

4 hours ago, Warcradle Richard said:

We have a tentative internal re release schedule, it does include some FSA.  But we are not ready to publish it yet until we know we can hit the dates.

@Warcradle Richardor @Warcradle Stuartcould you at least shed some light on what you will (and can) re-release and what you will (or can) not?
This can help people planning their fleet expansion, and it is also better for getting new players into the game by telling them what fleets/models will be re-released soon(tm) so they will not have to resort to the second-hand sources. Also, as some small sign of gratitude for saving the IP, I'd rather purchase models from you as opposed to paying (sometimes ridiculous) eBay prices!

And as a follow-up, is there already anything you can say about possible redesign/re-sculpting and/or discontinuation of certain models? Many people would not like blowing a large wad of cash on models, only to see new sculpts being released a few months later.

Finally, will you also be offering specific components for individual sale? Most notably the resin half-rings used on OmniDyne vessels.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Xireon said:

@Warcradle Richardor @Warcradle Stuartcould you at least shed some light on what you will (and can) re-release and what you will (or can) not?
This can help people planning their fleet expansion, and it is also better for getting new players into the game by telling them what fleets/models will be re-released soon(tm) so they will not have to resort to the second-hand sources. Also, as some small sign of gratitude for saving the IP, I'd rather purchase models from you as opposed to paying (sometimes ridiculous) eBay prices!

And as a follow-up, is there already anything you can say about possible redesign/re-sculpting and/or discontinuation of certain models? Many people would not like blowing a large wad of cash on models, only to see new sculpts being released a few months later.

Finally, will you also be offering specific components for individual sale? Most notably the resin half-rings used on OmniDyne vessels.

Thanks!

Sorry mate but they literally stated above that we would know these details around the end of may ;). Kind of set us all off on being excited. From othee Warcradle responses we know that any low quality molds will not be produced, so newer spartan sculpta are what we can expect to see. We know Warcradle will be updating molds as it sees fit and will certainly be adding new models, as they've done with dystopian wars.

Chances are thats all 2019 at the earliest. Right now the focus is on getting the best of spartan's models printing again until work begins in earnest on Warcradle's Firestorm 3.0

7 hours ago, Warcradle Richard said:

We have a tentative internal re release schedule, it does include some FSA.  But we are not ready to publish it yet until we know we can hit the dates

Mwhahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!! I can be patient. Thankyou very much for the information!

58 minutes ago, Wolfgang Jannesen said:

Sorry mate but they literally stated above that we would know these details around the end of may ;). Kind of set us all off on being excited. From othee Warcradle responses we know that any low quality molds will not be produced, so newer spartan sculpta are what we can expect to see. We know Warcradle will be updating molds as it sees fit and will certainly be adding new models, as they've done with dystopian wars.

Chances are thats all 2019 at the earliest. Right now the focus is on getting the best of spartan's models printing again until work begins in earnest on Warcradle's Firestorm 3.0

I have to disagree on the underlined part. As far as I can gather they were talking about release dates, which of course relates to their production capacity, and that I understand.

However, if I recall correctly the first thing they did was inventory all the items they received and entered them into their ERP system. Therefore, at this time they should already have a decent view of which molds are good enough to use, and which are too degraded. And that is the info I am looking for. Also, I reckon they will by now have a decent view of what existing sculpts they want to re-use (and, if required, create new molds for), and what models they are looking to re-sculpt first.

Dates and time frames would be nice, but I understand these cannot be set at this time.

Come on Warcradle staff, and drop us hungry starving Firestorm gamers a bone or 2 <3

I don't think molds are the issue, WC have the digital assets to make masters from after all.

I think the main issue is production capacity. They're going to need to make sure they have enough time and space to produce the coming DW launch and to carry on with WWE. As much as we want FA stuff to be produced again, the end of the year is probably the earliest we can expect any actual production for existing models. let alone any new sculpts.

It's been mentioned that FA are in the production plan, but the plan is probably in pencil rather than pen at this stage. Sorry to say it people, but wait and see.

Remembering that any production has to be split between the other ranges they currently make and the upcoming Dystopian Wars release. Also they might still have design choices - the original sculpts were good (still are) but some might not be in keeping with how WC wants to take Firestorm forward with. So there might well be some work to ensure that whatever ships they release remain valid with the range to come. Last thing they want is to mess around with fans of the series releasing bits here and there without any cohesion. 

In the end we just have to keep playing the waiting game.