Xireon

Model availability

Spartan Games even had great bases for Halo. Personally I think its a big step forward for space games; use the base to track stats and other things. So long as its practical its a great idea, esp for larger ships which come with a larger base and thus can hold more info and thus let larger ships be more complex. It always feels odd when big ships take damage like a small ship and you can't knock out segments of it etc...  Even if its as simple as fore, port, starboard and engines (rear)

10 hours ago, Charistoph said:

Could they even be looking at changing the bases for v3.0?  Dropfleet's bases received a lot of accolades, and X-Wing's have proven to also be quite popular.

Bases will definitely be replaced for FSA V3.   We looked at getting them designed in advance and releasing them with Classics items, but they were too likely to be changed and refined before FSA 3 is out. So we are getting some old style bases/stands created now for the FSA Classics releases.

On 9/23/2018 at 2:18 AM, Warcradle Richard said:

Bases will definitely be replaced for FSA V3.   We looked at getting them designed in advance and releasing them with Classics items, but they were too likely to be changed and refined before FSA 3 is out. So we are getting some old style bases/stands created now for the FSA Classics releases.

There had better at least be a  bulk discount of some sort at the very least, if not a freebees (maybe to a certain limit).  I certainly don't want to spend the money to have to re-base  the 400+ Firestorm models in my collection.

12 hours ago, Commodore Jones said:

There had better at least be a  bulk discount of some sort at the very least, if not a freebees (maybe to a certain limit).  I certainly don't want to spend the money to have to re-base  the 400+ Firestorm models in my collection.

Hi Commodore Jones, We wont be forcing you to use the new bases, you will still be able to play with any bases you already have. We just want to make a base for flyers that is easier to mass produce for us.

Honestly, coming from WH40k, where they grandfathered in models on (now) too small of base, almost everyone has slowly transitioned over to the new sizes. I think having this soft conversion option is much better than a hard one, and it shows that Warcradle is receptive to this. I for one look forward to seeing what the new bases will look like. It would be really cool if different types of ships had different vertically sized bases. Such as tier 1 ships being a set 1.5", tier 2 ships 1" or 2" and then tier 3 ships being 0.5", 1.5" or 2.5" to make fleets seem more dynamic and protective of main as assets.

I love Star Wars: Armada bases, both for ships (dials for shields on all four sides, plus firing arcs and ship info printed on the card insert) and fighters (dial for remaining fighters and activation "switch", plus info printed on the card insert).  One of the most clever parts is that all of the bases can simply have the card insert swapped out so you can slap any ship on any base of the correct size and you're ready to rock'n'roll.  That's something to keep in mind for the base design team - swapability means players with existing fleets have less expenditure so you receive less internet vitriol.

Personally, I just want ships.  Gimme ships.  Lotsa ships.  I wanna paint 'em up and make "pew pew" noises. 

12 hours ago, Warcradle Richard said:

Hi Commodore Jones, We wont be forcing you to use the new bases, you will still be able to play with any bases you already have.

But somewhere there's going to be some tournament organizers who are going to demand all new bases or you can't enter/play.

2 hours ago, Commodore Jones said:

But somewhere there's going to be some tournament organizers who are going to demand all new bases or you can't enter/play.

An official Organized Play document, a la Steamroller for Warmachine/Hordes, can work wonders for this kind of thing in terms of establishing what a tournament organizer can get nitpicky about and what they cannot.  If the Peg is still the primary representation of the model and its measurements, then bases with slight variations in size or shape from the originals is no problem.  Things do get trickier however if the pegs are of different measurement.  Casual play can probably hand wave the mere millimeters of difference, hypothetically, but at a tournament level there would indeed be a cry for standardization.

3 hours ago, SageofLodoss said:

An official Organized Play document, a la Steamroller for Warmachine/Hordes, can work wonders for this kind of thing in terms of establishing what a tournament organizer can get nitpicky about and what they cannot.  If the Peg is still the primary representation of the model and its measurements, then bases with slight variations in size or shape from the originals is no problem.  Things do get trickier however if the pegs are of different measurement.  Casual play can probably hand wave the mere millimeters of difference, hypothetically, but at a tournament level there would indeed be a cry for standardization.

That won't work unless a concerted effort by the players is made to completely ignore tournaments who change  organized play rules.