Toxic_Rat

What makes Firestorm Armada, "Firestorm Armada"

21 minutes ago, Toxic_Rat said:

I missed out on the Nexus Jupiter game. 

It's still available on Steam for Windows, at a smaller amount.  It's hard to get in to for a quick game, but that's partly because of it's dedication to known physics early on.

Didn't someone, way back when, do a set of stats for the B5 ships? 

Possibly.  The Call To Arms fleet write-ups did allow for a good amount of classes for most of the races.  The League would have to be treated almost as a cohesive whole, though, as they were not that diverse for individual races.

While we're picking on SWars, why do they have capital ships at all?  Seems like the X-wings always go for the big sphere structures on the Star Destroyers, and next thing you know they're bursting into flames, crashing into each other, into small moons (that's no moon!) and what-not.  Not much of a capital ship if you're brought down by a couple of X-wings, IMHO.

Hyper Jumps can take a long time, and only the Jedi could handle the really long trips.  In addition, having a moving base to resupply your fighters and rest your pilots is an intelligent strategic decision.  Then there is just flat out inertia as well.  Fighter jump drives were not all that common, and the Rebellion was the first group to really invest in the concept extensively.  Before them, small hyperdrives were limited to recon ships, "bombers", and shuttles.  Some fighters could link in to dedicated rings which could do the job, that was more for the Jedi's use.

Nexus is also on GOG  as well; its cheap now and goes super cheap in any big sale events. 

Also for the SW stuff the Tie Fighter (and bomber) is basically bare bones.  The huge wings are solar collectors, so whilst they can refuel themselves they don't actually carry huge reserves. This explains why the Empire can make so many more of them and why they under-perform next to X-Wings. Tie Fighters are simple and rely on heavy numbers and most cannot operate alone without a capitol ship to provide long distance support. 

In contrast X Wings and many of the Rebel ships are often more high-tech, but they have far fewer of them. High tech ships require spare parts and support; and because you've not got an infinite number if they take damage you really want them to pull back, get repaired and then launch. 

In general though the capitol ships are important, they have medical facilities, resupply, ground units, space equipment, command facilities, coordination, etc... For the Rebels they also act as mobile homes and the ability to move their operations long distance in case of discovery. For the Imperium they are also a huge show of force. The Death Star was the even more extreme version of that line of thinking - taking it to the next level of rule by intimidation. 

Also don't forget ground battles, its something that gets glossed over in a lot of space based sci-fi; even many computer games have detailed space and then simplistic ground battles. In reality you need big ships to transport huge number of troops to occupy worlds. Phantom Menace showed this fantastically with the Trade Federation Invasion. With the large ships in orbit they were able to deploy large numbers of ground troops to overwhelm defences and take over in a matter of hours (remembering that htey pulled most of that force by come the end of the film so what the Gungans fought was a much smaller portion of the remaining army left to just hold things

Please note the following was information that was before Disney took over.

The reason the Executor crashed into the Death Star  was because an A-wing crashed into the bridge. The New Republic had to literally beat the sister of the Executor the Lusanyanka to death, and even then there was still enough left of it for them to rebuild her.  Also while Star destroyers are vulnerable to a certain extent  to TRD(Trench Run Disease) they weren't that vulnerable.   In fact the Empire developed the Lancer class frigate to deal with starfighters.

As for fighters. Your basic Tie has no shielding which means if a Tie pilot lives to become a veteran he is really good, because the life expectancy isn't very long. One of the reasons that the Rebellion used the X-wing was because it had shields, and that they were given the plans from Incom . Shields allowed pilots to learn from their mistakes. Other the than the shields and proton torpedoes  the Tie fighter and X-wing were fairly closely matched in terms of speed and manuverability . Interceptors were faster but still lacked shields. The Tie Defender however if produced in sufficient numbers would have given the Empire fighter superiority. It had shields , missile launchers, ion cannons, and a hyperdrive.

Can you tell I'm a Star Wars legends fan?:P

5 hours ago, Overread said:

Also don't forget ground battles, its something that gets glossed over in a lot of space based sci-fi; even many computer games have detailed space and then simplistic ground battles.

Empire at war is like that. The space battles are great, but the ground battles leave a lot to be desired. Halo Reach  has some good ground battles. Attack of the the Clones has a good ground battle too.

How did we get from talking about what we like in Firestorm to space battles and Star Wars?

58 minutes ago, Skyhawk said:

How did we get from talking about what we like in Firestorm to space battles and Star Wars?

B/c both feature space battles and we have a love for spaceships going 'pew pew!' at each other.  

The best thing that other fiction has given me for firestorm is an idea of what ship interiors might look and function like. Now when we have some official art so I know what a Ryushi or the Relthozan castes look like... For now I can only speculate

Yeah, I'm way behind in terms of SW lore.  :)  

I get the points about the need for capital ships, and they are good ones.  They just seem a bit squishy in the movies is all.  The B5 and BSG battles are more to my liking at any rate.

I love talking about scifi.  I need to watch more B5. 

What most people want when they play a space battle game is live the scifi they have seen/read before.  I think FSA should strive to find a delicate balance between giving people what they know AND giving them something new.   What we know: capital ships blazing away at each other, fighter pilots against all odds, crew screaming orders as sparks fly.   Innovation is incremental, and we need to take that a couple steps further.  Not twenty steps, just a couple.  Give people what they know and then give them something a spaceship game has never done before, something that makes FSA special and worthy of their purchase and (re)play. 

I read a lot of sci-fi and some series that are good for starship battles:

Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell  

Star Carrier series by William H Keith Jr

Starfire series, by David Weber/Steve White

Honor Harrington series by David Weber

Castle Federation series by Glynn Stewart

Blood on the Stars series by Jay Allan

Mostly I have read just Star Wars. I tried to get into Expanse but I thought it  was just plum weird. I looked at the Lost fleet series but never tried it. I have tried the Cobra series by Timothy Zahn but the one book I have doesn't have many space battles in it. I only made it to the one book because I got caught up in the Destroyermen series. Which while it would be a good example of naval warfare and even ground battles to an extent, its not exactly Scifi( I don't know what it would be classified as:blink:. Though the flavor of the naval battles would be good for Firestorm.

33 minutes ago, Skyhawk said:

...I got caught up in the Destroyermen series. Which while it would be a good example of naval warfare and even ground battles to an extent, its not exactly Scifi( I don't know what it would be classified as:blink:. Though the flavor of the naval battles would be good for Firestorm.

Wikipedia lists Destroyermen as "alternate history", which sounds as good a name for it as any.  It's not uncommon for sci-fi hooks which make the "alternate" happen, such as some of Turtledove's work (I tried his lizard aliens invade WW2 Earth series) or for Flint/Weber's 1632 series.