Hi, 

For the French Communauty, the end of Spartan in august 2017 was a real shock. We really though that the Kick Starter will be a renew, but finally not.

We had an unfinished v2.5 Dystopian Wars game on our hands, with plenty of bugs. We love to much this game to let it vanish.

So we decide to finish this version. I contact the best French players and I create a work team to terminate the game.

The purpose was to have a finished and more balanced version, as close as possible from the Spartan’s v2.5, for continuing to play together in tournaments or just for fun.

In the mean time, Warcraddle bought the Spartan Company, but we knew it will be long until they create a new version; so we continued our project.

After mouths of works, hundred of games, the finally arrived close to the end of our project: we call that Dystopian Wars v2.51FR.

You can find the game changes here :

V2.51FR-ENG

We have plenty of ideas for the v3, but we decide to stay as close as possible from the v2.5, and concentrate our time on the ORBATS for a more balanced game.

Here arrive the ORBATS's changes for our v2.51FR :  

LINK FOR THE DRIVE

■ Core Nations Available : FSA , RC, KOB, EOTBS, PE. 

■ Alliance Nations Available : BW, IR, LOIS, OE, PLC, KOD, RFA. 

■ Cards construction in progress : Chinese

■ Factions still in progress :

ROF (too much protection, cannot find yet the solution)

COA, EIMC, HEC, ROE : Not started due to lack of players in France. 

Stay Tuned. 

The KoB was the lowest nation, so this is our idea to push them back into the game . 

In the play tests, it is a nice improvement , the naval ships are more to fear now

We decide first to change the minimum the rules, and to maintain as possible the fluff for every nations.  We want every ship to be playable and fear by the enemy. And like this, if you want to be competitive, you can take as well the models you like and not only the ones the ORBATS say to take. 

For us, EOTBS is the most average and strong nation, so for example we change them just a bit. On the other side, KoB was the lowest so there is a lot of change for them . Another example is RC where mortars are great but turrets are very low in compare so nobody is taking the turrets models. So we decide to improve only the turrets models. 

Our way is to choose for every type of ship a reference (for example "assault carrier"). And we adjust for every ship with comparing : the reference , his nation, his fluff and some other ship we think there are in the same range. 

As a result, we preferred to improve where something is not good , rather than to nerf a strong unit (and make angry some guys who love the way of playing this strong unit). 

On 14/04/2018 at 12:49 AM, RuleBritannia said:

It's an interesting approach, which seems to have stressed damage output.  Love to hear your notes on these decisions.

Much of our discussion can be found here : http://spartan-forum.forumactif.fr/f60-dw-dystopian-wars-v2-51-fr
Won't be of much use if you don't speak french though ... ;) 

5 hours ago, sleeping_squirrel said:

You upped stats on lots of ships - is it because you prefer quicker and more deadly approach?

Well ... I guess it's a teamwork effect. Since the tiniest nerf started up a crazy quibbling from concerned players, it proved general upping was easier than targeted nerf. On another hand it feels better to play in a "everyone is overpowered" state of game. 

The next (last ?) faction to deal with is RoF, and we're having some issues with them. My personnal proposition would be to nerf cloud generator by limitating the number of AD the generator would impact on. E.g : a Magenta BB fitted with a Cloud (8) generator could apply a -1 to hit penalty to up to 8 AD  in any attack directed against her. That version of Cloud Generator would be effective at any range since we don't like the extreme difference of endurance on large RoF ships between RB1 and RB2+ attacks. 

Some of us (namely Skilledou) are afraid that would be too heavy mechanism and slow the game up. So we're open to any other proposition to smooth RoF in a more "classic" type of play faction. 

2 minutes ago, Zongo2 said:

Much of our discussion can be found here : http://spartan-forum.forumactif.fr/f60-dw-dystopian-wars-v2-51-fr
Won't be of much use if you don't speak french though ... ;) 

Well ... I guess it's a teamwork effect. Since the tiniest nerf started up a crazy quibbling from concerned players, it proved general upping was easier than targeted nerf. On another hand it feels better to play in a "everyone is overpowered" state of game. 

The next (last ?) faction to deal with is RoF, and we're having some issues with them. My personnal proposition would be to nerf cloud generator by limitating the number of AD the generator would impact on. E.g : a Magenta BB fitted with a Cloud (8) generator could turn up to 8 AD from red to blue in any attack directed against her. That version of Cloud Generator would be effective at any range since we don't like the extreme difference of endurance on large RoF ships between RB1 and RB2+ attacks. 

Some of us (namely Skilledou) are afraid that would be too heavy mechanism and slow the game up. So we're open to any other proposition to smooth RoF in a more "classic" type of play faction. 

Merci beaucoup

It's our choise to take the highest reference and to bring all the other to the highest reference. 
like this, it's easy and more quick for our work. Everything is deadly. 

Plus the game is quicker so you can have more boats on the table for the same time. 

Starting to read orbats, starting with KOB which is my main force. Just first few observations: like that you unified numbers for standard turret across all ships. 

Valiant: what is the cost for upgrade?

Vengeance: target painter is for what? Hasn' been this generator changed in 2.5?

We wanted to simplify to accelerate the game. And standardised turrets and values are a good way we found to do this. 

Option for Valiant is 2 pts , to have 10 pts for 5 models. We found 5 pts was too much and free was not possible. 

Vengeance : target painter give you +1 to hit for your squadron on 3+. (P169)

We usually play a 1000 pts game. 

800 pts if we want a quick game. 

1200 pts if we have time . 

We play between 2h30 and 3h30. 

Most of the games , at Turn 3 someone have his field order done. 

18 hours ago, Skilledou said:

We wanted to simplify to accelerate the game. And standardised turrets and values are a good way we found to do this. 

Option for Valiant is 2 pts , to have 10 pts for 5 models. We found 5 pts was too much and free was not possible. 

Vengeance : target painter give you +1 to hit for your squadron on 3+. (P169)

I agree, standardisation is the way the game needs to go. Definitely plus!

Valiant: just keep it 10 points for upgrade of the whole squadron, there is no point  in having cost 2 per piece.

Vengeance: so it is 3+ just for Vengeance, right?

On a 3+ you get +1 to hit with an attack thats from a weapon highlighted in the brackets. This only applies to the unit that is using the TP generator. 

6 hours ago, sleeping_squirrel said:

I agree, standardisation is the way the game needs to go. Definitely plus!

Valiant: just keep it 10 points for upgrade of the whole squadron, there is no point  in having cost 2 per piece.

Vengeance: so it is 3+ just for Vengeance, right?

Yeah 10 pts for the squadron, nice. Thanks

Yes , this is a change rules from v2 to v2.5 wanted by Spartan. 

Left Kob for detailed scrutiny for appropriate time and moved to Kingdom of Denmark. Not much changes here, am I right? :-) And no turret standardisation, which is a shame. Why is that? Do you feel Danes are ok in 2.5?

Never played Denmark before, just checking stats as the new fleet is on a way to me.

None of us are regular Danish players. The only experience we had with them was facing them as an opposing force (rather seldom in my case I must say). Not easy to balance a fleet in those circumstances. 

Plus we wanted to focus on major nation, so KoD were a bit hurried down if I remember well. 

Turret standardisation is indeed  a nice thing. But with squadron of double turreted gunships it's almost undoable. Bringing the prussian 11/9/6/3 line to skaggerak turrets would have brought too much firepower. So we opted to keep the distinction between large and medium turrets.