Broadcast

Introducing the Rules Team for Third Edition

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Jannesen said:

@Merlin I mean sure, announce a nonexistent new ruleset and line of currently unsculpted new models.

Try to realize where in the process warcradle is right now

I'm not expecting completed rules or models. Just more information as to what is going on, what they are working on and the concepts they are working with. 

And apparently they are two or three month from the beta tests. So obviously they are far enough along to say that much

I did not have issues finding other players for dystopian wars, for the air and sea, but I don't know anyone who cared for the land part/variant. And  I liked the stuff shown, it's been a few years.  Time has passed, design and production capabilities have moved on. The past is the past, let's enjoy that we see a renaissance for games that have been dead before and that we have an engaged and determined owner for dystopian wars.

The past will not come back, and it would not make sense to wish it would come back, as apparently, it did not work out.  Now let's have a look at Warcradle, they have a plan, they have experience and capacities, so be happy that they are taking care of this. Will some changes be painful for long time players or veterans? Yes sure, but you have that with any change of edition in any game.

I'm for one am a happy trooper and look forward what's coming. And I do own a Blazing Sun, British and Prussian fleets, never got around to Antarctica and federal states, unfortunately, I'll just continue to use these minis and in time they will possibly just gather more dust on the shelf, but that is life...

Be positive lads, we're such a small community currently, that tbqh it will not matter if you leave,  but  instead of being so negative, if you're not happy with what's happening or coming, accept that you'll not be able to change it and just move on with your life, ti will be more positive for everyone.  I for one prefer to enjoy my hobby instead of hating it.. and if it does no longer fit my taste I move on.

@StorminWolf then you were one of the lucky ones that you could find any players at all.

I was introduced to the game by a guy who had the British, played a few games with him then he disappeared from the gaming scene entirely. After that I struggled to get anybody to even look at the game let alone try it. 

The only person I managed to get into the game was a close friend who wouldn't look at the game until 6th edition 40k came along and ruined 40k completely for both of us. I tried hard to get more players In, but no one wanted to play the game. They just weren't interested.

It took four more years before I found out that there were others who were playing Firestorm (only two guys). And it took a while before I could convince them to try DW. They haven't gone back as Firestorm is just a boring game in comparison to DW. 

The novelty of sea based combat is just too niche for gamers, in my experience and getting potential new players to even look at the game is the hardest part. 

So a new game system? 

A cleaner, quicker, less fiddly game system, I hope, yes?

I am all for anything that makes the game faster play and more appealing to new players. 

I would have an easier time getting my game group to play 'SAW: the home game' than sit down for a joyous 5 hours of explodey resin goodness.  (and they would never have to  buy anything, I have a massive collection) yet still few will play...

Makes me wish I had all the bugs worked out of my D20 conversion. It runs at least twice as fast since an entire attack rolls on a single d20 instead of a bucket of d6s.

But anyway, bring it on, I am very much curious about the new version and I can't wait to play v3.

Except that there is no Union, in my world, they still lost.  But, if the 'American' force was from the Republic of Texas, that would be a different story.

Can I just say that if there is one thing WC must do it is proper blogposts with the videos.  The only way to look at the stuff you were trying to promote as screenshots off of Alex Mann's blog, which I hope @Alex Mann will forgive me saying, doesn't have the reach of tabletop fix.  Also writing stuff as blogposts makes it much accessible and easier to share.

If I can piggy-back off your though Rule, can I get some places where I can get info about the game other than here?

I don't Facebook (noone should anymore) so where am I to keep up with our game?

Stitching the two universes togther will take time and care, so we just need to remain patient, as hard as that is :P

Id like to throw in a scenario for you to how the current plan could d be used, so you and your friends are playing a roleplay of a scenario, your Union agents sent in to spy on a military base, when there you are able to find out that the Russians have set up a secret military base, you then have to escape, then if you escape you warn the Authorities. This is where the systems can be blended, your characters come back with a Union Navy Fleet to assault the base but you find the Russians have brought in a navay fleet of their own, enter a thermatic DW game, then if the beach landing is successful you have to battle across county to the secret facility, AC there, then the final assault is conducted using the WWX system as your characters bravely storm the facility :D 

Anyone can set up a blog, ive been half tempted for a while my self, though i expect the spelling would be terrible.

Thats great news Richard. 

@MerlinWell, back in Germany and Online I only ever saw people pay attention to Sea and Air.  Those went down very well with a lot of people at that time when I introduced new people to it, same here in Ireland. The land stuff just kept sitting on the shelves. DZC though sold really well. I think a lot of people liked the background and liked the naval part. Land games I think will not succeed below 10mm size. Yes, there is the vocal epic community who always waits for such a game, but they really just only play epic. Another reason was a sea table was easy to do and you could use normal hills as islands, while a land table required a whole new set of terrain for just one game, which would've been. a huge work/cost and no multiuse with other games, which held stores, clubs and private people off from investing in the system. 

But sea/air? Just throw a blue cloth over a table, grab some hills et voila.  The accessibility was so much better.  

On top of that people much more identify with a big battleship then witch hundreds of little dots who're supposed to be humans (regiments etc.) Those are seen as markers, without characters. But your big Battleship or Zeppelin?  Different story.

I think the attitude to split up air and sea from the land battles and change the size for the latter is a great step forward. I also think the change in size is a good thing for armored clash. 

Personally, I hope Warcradle takes the jump and moves completely away from D6 and to D10 as they are way more elegant and way better for possibilities than D6s, It would also keep a consistency within the now newly forged universe of Dystopian Age. It would also make this a unique selling point with their system.

9 hours ago, Asuo said:

Id like to throw in a scenario for you to how the current plan could d be used, so you and your friends are playing a roleplay of a scenario, your Union agents sent in to spy on a military base, when there you are able to find out that the Russians have set up a secret military base, you then have to escape, then if you escape you warn the Authorities. This is where the systems can be blended, your characters come back with a Union Navy Fleet to assault the base but you find the Russians have brought in a navay fleet of their own, enter a thermatic DW game, then if the beach landing is successful you have to battle across county to the secret facility, AC there, then the final assault is conducted using the WWX system as your characters bravely storm the facility :D 

Problem as stands that WC has no desire to bring back Legions or expand WWX to fit all the cool folks.  Long term would be nice.

@StorminWolf I would care to disagree that D10s should be an aspiration since it reflects well on the minimal numbers in a skirmish, but not as  well at conveying the massive size differences and weaknesses of tanks and ships, with the sense of scale and ability to represent degradation throughout battle in my humble opinion.

I am very glad @Warcradle Richard sees the need for the blogposts, but a word of caution.  A conversational transcript is a very poor way to handle information, whilst the Broadcast service shows one way to handle these communications, a decently structured essay with a slightly more conversational style would be preferable to lay out the information.  You should also consider a weekly email/blogpost for announcements to gather attention, considering too often it is leaked, like the plastics announcement, in random obscure posts, rather than being front and centre as part of information conveyed to all fans and easily disseminated, rather than leading to hearsay and misinformation or even loss of control of information or being perceived as misleading or purposefully misleading.   At the moment it is far too easy to see the product argued as its now your thing, so its going to be different without telling us why this change is beneficial, and making fans concerned about change, rather than selling any benefits therein.