Sign in to follow this  
David

Burson Carpathian; Genius Level Intellect, or Prisoner to his own Fears?

So I had been doing some fluff reading, and some theorycrafting, and came upon this question, which I want to explain myself on, and then pose to you, the forum, to discuss.

In the rulebook fluff, in the Enlightened section, it talks a great deal about Carpathian, obviously, and how he came to be the Father of the faction. He is described as being incredibly powerful of mind, and not a little charismatic, and he certainly must be, if he was able to join the Hex (which is essentially a great big gestalt of shared consciousness) and be apparently the first and only person ever to do so on his terms, sharing only those thoughts of his he wanted to. Now supposing that is so, and that no one else has before (which is an interesting rabbit trail to follow on another faction's board perhaps), I approach the crux of my question.

While he may have been that smart then, is Carpathian really still capable of keeping the Hex, and the rest of the Dark Council, out of his mind?

Carpathian is stated to have suffered some severe injuries, that have affected his mental capacity in one way or another. I cite this excerpt from the Soul Hunters Posse preview:

“We’re admitting magicians and snake oil salesmen now? This would never have been permitted if Burson’s procedure had been more successful. I blame Kyle's sloppy handiwork, the dullard. If we could only get Carpathian back in theatre and recheck the cranial connections. If the so called Father of the Enlightened was thinking properly we’d be rid of these ridiculous charlatans.” Thomas Edeson, intercepted letter to his wife, Mina

I understand this is an opinion and not an explicit objective fact, but hear me out. If this is right, and Burson isn't who he once was, I see two possible outcomes:

1. He was just so incredibly powerful of mind, that both before and after his cranial surgery, he is still capable of keeping out the rest of the Hex. Or,

2. Either in little leaks, or as an open book, Carpathian's mind is now a part of the Hex pool consciousness. Meaning that Dark Council members could simply sift through his thoughts and find out where he is, or what his plans are, even what kinds of defenses he has set up around The Warcradle complex.

If #2 were to be true, and Carpathian didn't realize it, then it would likely be all over for him very soon. But if this were true, and he did realize it, what is to say he doesn't have security measures in place? To whit, he has his own underlings keep all of the most important information a secret from he himself. Imagine, Burson Carpathian, genius inventor, mad scientist, self-styled savior of mankind from alien forces, locked away in a complex he doesn't know where, totally uninformed as to the passcodes, the strength of armed defenses, the positioning of security measures, or anything at all, about how his own organization is run anymore. Truly, a former genius become a complete prisoner to his own completely justified paranoia.

At the very least I guess it would give him plenty of time alone to focus completely on his attempts to resurrect his wife right? A true tragic character.

What do you all think?

In the new Fluff he simply is that powerfull at the moment. I wait for comics or Books to flesh the universe out.

In the old Fluff, he had an artifact from the old Atlanteans/Marsians that granted him a little more resistance from the dark council. Actually so much resistance, that the Dark Council tricked his son in killng him. This is why the Legendary Carpathian is an construct himself.

The problem is, in my opinion, non of the old stuff is canon anymore, because it is similar, but in the same time totaly diffrent.  ( i can give Examples if needed.)

Correct me, if i am wrong.

And this will change yet again as it is amalgamated with the DWars fluff, and how Dr Caparthian relates to the Covenant of Antarctica.  I really don't like the conspiracy feel of the dark council and the hex hivemind, considering the late 19th Illuminati and protocols of Zion context that make global conspiracies a bit poor taste looking at  this historical period, as well as removing the quality of agency from characters that involvement of the hex and mind control involves.  The tropes of a mad scientist willing to pus the boundaries of morality for selfish reasons is fine, but only if that is contrasted by the Covenant of Antarctica as a force for a perceived positive progress (this Science was meant to help mankind etc.), and Carpathian as free from alien influence provides that contrast in its arrogance, and a version of the great traitor Markov Helsinki.  

On 26.3.2018 at 11:32 PM, RuleBritannia said:

And this will change yet again as it is amalgamated with the DWars fluff, and how Dr Caparthian relates to the Covenant of Antarctica.  I really don't like the conspiracy feel of the dark council and the hex hivemind, considering the late 19th Illuminati and protocols of Zion context that make global conspiracies a bit poor taste looking at  this historical period, as well as removing the quality of agency from characters that involvement of the hex and mind control involves.  The tropes of a mad scientist willing to pus the boundaries of morality for selfish reasons is fine, but only if that is contrasted by the Covenant of Antarctica as a force for a perceived positive progress (this Science was meant to help mankind etc.), and Carpathian as free from alien influence provides that contrast in its arrogance, and a version of the great traitor Markov Helsinki.  

yes this.

for me, the old fluff was more like a light version of lovecraftian horror. it was nice and i am a little sad that it is gone.

But i look up to the new fluff and hope it will tunr out good.

5 hours ago, Action.jak said:

as someone looking to read more into the fluff where would you recommend I look?  I would like to keep up with newer fluff more so than stuff that is no longer cannon.

The Rulebook has a lot of background in it. https://blog.warcradle.com/?tag=Vignette Also has 20 short stories for different characters.  The product descriptions for new posse sets is also a great way to get a deeper insight into the characters