Warcradle Daren

Trailblazer And New Player Support

Hi Guys,

i'm here to look after everyone who's picked up their shooting irons and got themselves all mixed up in the world of Wild West Exodus! In fact, if you've got into Wild West Exodus through one of our Trailblazer Events then there's a very high chance we've met already!

i'll be happy to provide support in the following areas

- Choosing a Faction

- Where to start

- List building

- Hobby advice

- Painting advice

- Building a Community

Can't wait to get stuck in and get you guys shooting each other in the face as soon as possible! So what's the first conundrum?

I believe it is assumed that each player will have their own decks. You can buy the decks separately, or print them out. I purchased two Gubbins boxes since I already had miniatures from first edition.

From what I have heard, you can use one deck for two players for smaller demo games.

Cheers!

On 10/02/2018 at 4:59 AM, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

I've just finished painting the miniatures from the Red Oak box, and will be trying out the game soon.

However, I don't know if I need to acquire a second set of cards, or if just sharing the set from the box is ok.

Morning! i'm currently painting a third set of Red Oak for demos.... i love painting the bikes and dawgs... As far as Action and Adventure Decks go you will need a full deck for each player when playing "properly" - However when i play small games (700pts or so) we only use one deck of each between two of us - it adds to the stress and excitement!

To keep the 2 halves in the Action deck fair... you can remove a 2 AP card and the 5 AP card to make the 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s even...  I would then separate them evenly by numbers so you create two fair decks. each with the same number of available AP cards.   

Having picked up the Gunfight at Red Oak started after a Trailblazer demo, what's an amount of points for a decent game to work to for a starter force? The posse sets look to range from 645 to 820 points so I assume its something around that.

11 hours ago, Volkmair said:

Having picked up the Gunfight at Red Oak started after a Trailblazer demo, what's an amount of points for a decent game to work to for a starter force? The posse sets look to range from 645 to 820 points so I assume its something around that.

Volkmair it depends. Wyatt costs more with motorbike and Doc (555 points) than Jasse with motorbike and Frank (445 points). You got also two dogs to give them - attack dogs are 60 point each and gun dogs are 65. 
If you give each side same amount of dogs the Lawman will cost You 680 and Outlaws 570.  But sometimes points can mean nothing because You will find out that some characters fit to Your game style and some just not. It's possible to put posse for less points against posse that cost more and win (or not). 

You have to play couple of games which side you want to expende (or both ;] ) by new characters, units and support. 
As a Lawman player I vote for Wyatt (that model with a shield) who is very reliable thanks to his abilities (like Bunker) and deadly on range of his revolver. His shotgun is also rather nasty. Doc is good for short distance attacks (his cards can do a lot of harm). 

I see people who play around 750-900 points, I try to play around 1000 to 1500 points. Once we tried to play more but it took definitely to long to activate everything. 

Cool, cheers for the info, 700 is probably doable for both the Lawmen and Outlaws from the Red Oak starter, though the Outlaws might require taking the stars off the interceptor and using it as a bandit one.

Hey Guys, 

i worked out the following lists around Red Oak to help our local player group find their feet with the Gunslinger League. It's got some swaps and some minor conversions but is great fun to make, paint AND play with.. Jesse on that Iron Horse is  downright dirty!

Outlaw Faction - 690 (Jesse James on Iron Horse 275, Frank James on Interceptor 170, 2 Attack Dogs 100, Gun Dogs with Gatling and Flame Thrower 145)

Lawmen Faction - 690 (Wyatt Earp 295, Doc Holliday 175, Gun Dog Gatling 85, Interceptor 85, Attack Dog 50)

Hi Daren, any painting guides/videos would be very much appreciated. There is some wonderful pictures on the Facebook page and I know that I'm no where near this standard. As a slow painter  ( and a bad one despite my pace)  I'd love to see a few different members of factions being speed painted to a reasonable quality.

I currently have 23  warrior nation hands, 2 bosses, 4 faces, 3 horses and a variety of others to paint. It will be quite a task. Games look so much better when models are painted. Any help/guides/videos would be  very much appreciated. 

On 3/7/2018 at 12:04 PM, Warcradle Daren said:

Outlaw Faction - 690 (Jesse James on Iron Horse 275, Frank James on Interceptor 170, 2 Attack Dogs 100, Gun Dogs with Gatling and Flame Thrower 145)

Was going to try this conversion but the new mounted cards only seem to be on Iron Horses.

Going to give the Outlaws both Attack Dogs and 1 Gun Dog with Grenade launcher to get the points matching.  It doesn't fit the Outlaw posse card, which is such a small rule to break it shouldn't bother me but if I'm teaching the game to others I want to be able to limit the rule bending and resulting confusion. 

Any better fixes?

On 07/02/2018 at 12:43 PM, Warcradle Daren said:

Hi Guys,

i'm here to look after everyone who's picked up their shooting irons and got themselves all mixed up in the world of Wild West Exodus! In fact, if you've got into Wild West Exodus through one of our Trailblazer Events then there's a very high chance we've met already!

i'll be happy to provide support in the following areas

- Choosing a Faction

- Where to start

- List building

- Hobby advice

- Painting advice

- Building a Community

Can't wait to get stuck in and get you guys shooting each other in the face as soon as possible! So what's the first conundrum?

I’ve just posted a newbie q in the hex sub-forum - anychance you could mosy over and see what you think?

Daren and fellow WWXers, I'm brand new and want to start with a Warrior Nation Spirit heavy melee list.  I'm ok with a little bit of "attuned" shooting to keep my enemies honest , but mostly I'd like models that are mobile and pack a hvy punch in melee.

I prefer "elite" heavy hitter type melee armies over melee horde type armies that have  tons of models (fewer models easier to paint up, too).  

What boss and support models would be in a fun list following this theme (say 1500 pts)?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Not sure if they would work well together, but I especially like the following models:

Raven Spirit, Iron Tooth, Raging Bear, Welwyn SWers, Alcon Sky Spirit, and maybe some Spirit Apparitions for Raven????

Hi,

personally I would recommend the Theme Posse of Raven Spirit. But then you got the problem with some really big Hands units. Alcon will be included, also the Spirit Apparations. But you can switch out the Hands units for some of the Face units you want. However you will lose some options to deploy totems.

Thx for the quick replies everyone.  Still open for more suggestions.  

Sounds like I need to look into both Ghost Wolf & Raven Spirit led posses.  It's tough to narrow it down with all the great miniatures in the range.  Once I familiarize myself with the rules,  it'll prob be an easier choice.

I picked up the Red Oak set at Salute, having read the free pdf rulebook, so I have not yet even played (painting in progress).

Please could you put a sticky at the top of this sub forum with the action deck suggestion (something like Red Oak Starter set action deck - small games). It did confuse me about there being one deck in the box but the rules talking about a deck each (I found the posting on a Google search).

Any chance of some introductory scenarios, limited area, figures, progressive rule use for beginners? I find it intimidating starting any game, and trying to introduce it to others more so.

Thank you for your time.

Yes, I thought the idea of splitting the action  deck between two players for the starter set was great; it means you can play a game just using what is in the Red Oak box. You could probably mention it in the rulebook as well!

I am still assembling models as well  so still waiting to play. I got the Red Oak set and a box of hands. I am starting with the hands and the K9s  so I can build myself up to tackling the characters. I really want to do them justice when it comes to painting!

On 4/30/2018 at 7:46 PM, Ultravanillasmurf said:

I picked up the Red Oak set at Salute, having read the free pdf rulebook, so I have not yet even played (painting in progress).

Please could you put a sticky at the top of this sub forum with the action deck suggestion (something like Red Oak Starter set action deck - small games). It did confuse me about there being one deck in the box but the rules talking about a deck each (I found the posting on a Google search).

Any chance of some introductory scenarios, limited area, figures, progressive rule use for beginners? I find it intimidating starting any game, and trying to introduce it to others more so.

Thank you for your time.

For "tutorial" games, remove the 4, and one of the 2s from the action deck, then divide the rest evenly between both sides.