Overread

New Ship previews/renders/photos

Yep there's some new renders up on facebook of the mighty Celestial battleship! 

27459278_1930835313912239_85461303933247

27336874_1930835317245572_28850861910463

27751447_1930835307245573_10994263353816

27336580_1930835333912237_26210073612197

A very interesting hull design choice as its almost primitive in how its designed. No turreted main weapon, instead its fixed at the fore; whilst the rear of the ship doesn't taper but instead spreads out wide like an older warship. A very curious design and this battleship would appear to be the kind suited to either hanging back and lobbing artillery shells from afar (thus not needing huge turns to aim its guns) or charging in as that prow looks like its harbouring a flamethrower or close range type weapon.

Then again with the paddlesteamers it might not need to worry about a main turret; being able to turn on the spot to face toward the enemy 

I'd say its a very fantasy design for a ship, be interesting to hear the rules and design thoughts behind this ship. 

MBS had some fluff to go with the boat

ere's an update on an exciting miniature coming for Dystopian Wars Third Edition later this year. The Ningjing Battleship for the Celestial Empire!

Though the Empire has endured in relative harmony for centuries following the Jade Pact, each of the Seven Emperors vies against the others for prestige and preeminence in all aspects of state.

For much of the Empire's existence, Empress Shinzua has held the honour of directing the Celestial Navy. She has excelled in this duty through each of her renewals and so has brought great prestige to the Japanese people in the arena of naval warfare.

The Ningjing Battlegroups are a declaration by Emperor Ming that the Chinese people are every bit as capable of contributing to the naval might of the Empire as their Japanese neighbours. Crewed by the finest sons and daughters of China, the hull of each Ningjing is blessed by the Emperor himself before launch.

When connected in the Dream, the topic of conversation between Shinzua and Ming seems to always drift back to how the Japanese Kaiju would fare against the Ningjing in battle. While it remains pure speculation, the other five have placed wagers on what the result would be. Perhaps the matter should be settled...

I think that's the rear of the ship coupled with the side guns appearing very tiny in relation to the rest of the sculpt. 

I think its also the lack of any paint which would give a better sense of scale and detailing on the model.

The biggest issue is the inclusion of the rear steps and port hatch - and honestly its something that has  been with Dystopian from the early days. Even the original Britannia Battlesship has a port door in the middle of it and steps leading up which are far "bigger" than they should be if compared to the command rooms or the guns or such. It's an element you see in some very small scale games in that certain aspects are enlarged over reality ( you see it a lot in things like 6 and 10mm warriors) so that when viewed on a tabletop at distance they appear as actual details and are clearer. 

I did wonder if Warcradle would follow suit or if they'd try for more "enclosed" designs which would hide things like port doors and steps. Of course the detial could be made smaller, but that might hit limits of practicality with regard to mould design; mass production and the eventual cleaning up and assembly by the user. 

Thanks for posting this @Overread, as someone without a facebook account, I am always glad when someone posts the latest stuff in a place I can actually see it.

Also, I appreciate that the accompanying fluff seems to have taken a bit of a direction influenced by what I have perceived to be people's general consensus on the issue of wanting the Asian nations maintaining a bit more independent identities.

I like the way this model looks. I understand some elements seem out of proportion or slightly impractical, but I think to some extent, that is the charm to me of a steampunk alternate world aesthetic. It doesn't have to make 100% sense necessarily, if it makes reasonable sense, then I think the rule of cool comes into play a bit. It is a tabletop wargame after all. I dunno, that is just my two cents.

5 hours ago, Overread said:

I think that's the rear of the ship coupled with the side guns appearing very tiny in relation to the rest of the sculpt. 

I think its also the lack of any paint which would give a better sense of scale and detailing on the model.

The biggest issue is the inclusion of the rear steps and port hatch - and honestly its something that has  been with Dystopian from the early days. Even the original Britannia Battlesship has a port door in the middle of it and steps leading up which are far "bigger" than they should be if compared to the command rooms or the guns or such. It's an element you see in some very small scale games in that certain aspects are enlarged over reality ( you see it a lot in things like 6 and 10mm warriors) so that when viewed on a tabletop at distance they appear as actual details and are clearer. 

I did wonder if Warcradle would follow suit or if they'd try for more "enclosed" designs which would hide things like port doors and steps. Of course the detial could be made smaller, but that might hit limits of practicality with regard to mould design; mass production and the eventual cleaning up and assembly by the user. 

I like the port doors and windows! They give a sense of scale.  The stairs are nice as well.  The only element that is offscale are the floor planks that can only come from redwoods.