Sign in to follow this  
RuleBritannia

1.05 WWX Exodus rulebook fluff

The more I go over the fluff the more frustrating it is that nobody except Carpathian seems to have any real agency.  The Aboriginal people of the world are directed by this great Spirit, the peoples of Asian by their Vampire mind control overlords, Western Nations by the dark council and Order, and both of those bodies directed by Alien intelligences.  This is pretty problematic in forging the narrative and giving a meaning to your dudes actions.  I do hope this gets changed.

Yeah, that is something I really wasn't big into either. That is why in the short story I posted a couple of weeks ago, I tried to portray events in the Wild West through the eyes of a simple bystander, not a part of any of the things. I think that is a lot of why the outlaw and lawmen factions appeal to a lot of people also, because the outlaws can be whoever motivated by whatever, and the lawmen are for the most part just simple folks trying to do the right thing and maintain order. I think maybe Warcradle's changes have helped things to be a little bit more divided up than the earlier fluff that made it feel like everyone just worked for the dark council though.

Personally, I really rather liked the old Dark Nation fluff, being mostly just aboriginal people who gave in to their beast side to fight against industrialized man, and was a little disappointed when they just got rolled up as a subposse of the larger Hex faction. I do like the other aspects of the Hex, and understand from gameplay perspectives why they were combined though.

But yeah, as a strong proponent of the your dudes approach, I am looking forward to the incorporation of more of the Dystopian Age world maybe giving folks more independent agency. As an aside, that is also a big reason why the majority of the models I have purchased thus far are various hands boxes. I love all of the historical characters and the crazy steampunk takes on them all, but I also like having plenty of John Everyman cowboys and indians and the like, to make my own stories for.

Classic DWars fluff was about nations in competition, commanders attempting to outwit and out fight one, and acting in the best interests of their nation as they saw it, and things having unexpected consequences.  Adding in a lot more of that, and down playing the giant galactic conspiracies and doom would be nice.  As you say the Lawmen and outlaws represent this best as people able to act on their own interest rather than conned or brainwashed servants of alien masters.