Sign in to follow this  
RuleBritannia

1.05 WWX Exodus rulebook fluff

While I think they haven't updated any of it since they acquired the Dystopian IP, the free rulebook download on the Wild West Exodus website has pretty decent fluff coverage of all the factions there, and as far as I am aware it is current. So while it doesn't address the world at large, it should at least give you a little picture of what is up.

The most problematic element in current background is the way the alien influence is used.  This is always a problem for any World of darkness style game where you have an outside influence on human history.  It either excuses or heightens the tension within already pretty horrible human acts.  The way I read it colonialism was the product of the Hex's desire to spread.  Even more depressingly it stressed the alien influence created society, as those communities which had the hex presence (or another alien influence) were those to develop complex societies which seems again rather dodgy.  The obvious thing to do is just claim that it lay dormant to escape the influence of hunters for longer, and just say the arrival of steampower awoke it, leading to technologies acceleration.  Similarly the stuff about Native and aboriginal communities in America and  Australia being too spiritual to be influenced by the Hex is pretty orientalist and condescending.  Either go for the tech level was wrong, or have the seed arrive in inhospitable parts of those continents, or even have the seed linked to lost civilisations, representing them being wiped out.  We know of a large Mississippi culture that was abandoned just before the arrival of Europeans.  The whole secret government trope of the dark council seems more unavoidable, though it evokes some of the unpleasant Anti-Semitic tropes that began to circulate at that period.  The covenant of Antarctica and its backstory of a traitor leaving for his country could easily be changed to Dr Carpathian and his willingness to misuse science to save his wife without alien influence, but if it must be included might be better to evoke the meeting of minds of liberal nationalism, poets, outsiders and revolutionaries, aiming to make the world better before being twisted by Dr Carpathian so we can avoid some of those latent issues.

The Space Vampires running the Asian nations strikes me as unpleasantly Orientalist.  Its definitely not steampunk with its reliance on a rather mangled idea of Taoism that could be read as insulting.  Certainly a world where some of the beliefs are more effective might work, or a more than historically Chinese dominated far east, spreading its culture and beliefs to provide the basis for a more federated system.  Also what if the Scientific discoveries made by the Chinese had been further advanced, leading to a highly advanced military which the rest of the world was only catching up to explaining the Pax Sinica, a thousand years of peace through superior firepower and an arrogant belief that the world was beneath them, corrected by a diplomatic incident ala Singapore where the British used gunboat diplomacy and their fleets proved inadequate, leading to a campaign of rearming, along with the infiltration of ideas that disturbed the seeming stable peace, with the wider population demanding new forms of government or different religions.

The order is problematic in two ways.  Firstly, kind of implying that Christianity is the by product of alien influence, especially with the terminology thrown around.  Secondly, with the place they are set and some of the actions made seems rather mocking of the experience of the mormons and the great awakening.  However, luckily for Warcradle  there are now lots of perfectly good knightly orders around in their setting.  The order of Mankind though offers several interesting possibilities.  Firstly, the name evokes the French Revolution, and the positive beliefs of the humanists.  This can be used to go back to our liberal revolutionary Hex, what if this was force was in support of these revolutionary ideas, the divine inspiration being the hex.  Rather than the full hive mind, instead a flash of revolution, a belief in a better world, now twisted as a fight against the slavery and oppression of Dr Caparthian and his throttling of humanity with his robo-slaves.

I still further issues I want to explore regarding the Crown and Arthur, Cyborg Lincoln, the American civil war just kind of happening, and the rather condescending treatment of Native Americans, but only if there is desire to, and people don't think my suggestions too arrogant or too pc.

The Celestial and Crown factions will be moved from WWX to the wider narrative of the Dystopian Age.

Both factions were new in the second edition (they hadn't models for it anyway at that time) but after the acquisition of the Dystopian Wars IP Warcradle decided to remove both as they might be better represented on a more 'global' background. 

But that's currently the only thing i know of which will definitely be changed. 

I have some interesting thoughts on the Crown background and how it could definitely use polish, but that's more my nitpicking as a student of History.

Firstly the fluff (if I am reading it correctly) is a direct descended from King Arthur's Britain.  This change would change so much history, with a Celtic Britain, particularly names, no parliament and a Romano-British culture.  Particularly vexing for WC the symbology of such a realm would be the Brythonic dragon rather the Lion plastered round the designs.  The Lion of England comes from Richard I and his Aquitaine roots.  

There is a much easier point the alt the alt history.  Henry VIII was the first to claim an Imperial crown of England, whilst many had previously claimed overlordship of Britain as a concept from Offa onwards.  However, it was first a reality under James, and an easy way to do a different fork in British history would be the succession of James elder son Henry, rather than the unfortunate Charles I.  Henry was to all accounts a charismatic leader and more skilled militarily, whilst his religious views aligned closer to his Puritan nobles.  His success in turning Britain from backwater to military power would be a nice point of divergence, close to the original DWars point of divergence, the war of the Three Kingdoms.  This allows him to make the power of the British Crown supreme, comparable to Henry IV and Louis XIV in France, and reduce the power of Parliament, hence a more imperial state.  He could also campaign in Scotland and Ireland to confirm their obedience to England and create a truly British Kingdom.  His protestant faith would also justify a manifest destiny to begin colonial endeavours.  Otherwise we are dealing with a crumbling empire just before it even conquered much territory in the current fluff.  More personally I liked the idea of an earlier involvement in India because of a royal marriage between Henry and an exile princess, justifying both Imperial title and an earlier start date of British foreign adventures, as well as creating a more interesting mixed society and not having quite the same problems over imperialism.  

As to the American Civil War it is awfully vague right now.  There are just general tensions between North and South because the Civil War Happened.  I would rather not involve slavery, whilst states rights plays into the idealised confederacy promoted by the alt right.  DWars classic Ore war based upon the access to resources would work, as would British promises of aid and the establishment of a more aristocratic regime to match the South's landholding.

Anyway just ideas to think about considering the gaps in the current mixed fluff, and some more ideas might flow out of me later.  All for free WC.

Changing the fluff for Ireland would not work as then you would not have the Irish exodus towards America due to the famine caused by english oppression. Same goes for changing the religious history of England, as then you would have none of the colonies. basically, you will need to keep the history of our world until at least the 1830s intact for Europe and especially Britain, otherwise, WWE will become. a hot mess.

I actually have a question that may or may not be super relevant. What year exactly is it supposed to be now? Like, in the Dystopian Age at their minute to midnight setting? I mean, we have the ballpark assuming the U.S. Civil War was fought and ended more or less the same years as in real history, I think. But what year is it now though? Assuming the Civil War ended in 1865 still, how many years has it been since then?

8 hours ago, Storminwolf said:

Changing the fluff for Ireland would not work as then you would not have the Irish exodus towards America due to the famine caused by english oppression. Same goes for changing the religious history of England, as then you would have none of the colonies. basically, you will need to keep the history of our world until at least the 1830s intact for Europe and especially Britain, otherwise, WWE will become. a hot mess.

If you read the current version world history is a hot mess.  The potato famine happens regardless of politics, but as you say without the religious and political divisions between the central British government and Ireland it wouldn't have had the same result.  However make Britain more Protestant in 17th century would have accelerated the growth of the American colonies.

The famine was caused by the British government, which is a widely known fact, Ireland produced enough for its own consumption but the British forced exports on them, same thing Churchill did in the 1940s in India. 

This is why we need to be very careful with history, especially 19th century history.  A lot of it is still contested.  The potato crop failure was not the fault of the British Government, the famine and failure of the provision of food was.  

5 hours ago, David said:

I actually have a question that may or may not be super relevant. What year exactly is it supposed to be now? Like, in the Dystopian Age at their minute to midnight setting? I mean, we have the ballpark assuming the U.S. Civil War was fought and ended more or less the same years as in real history, I think. But what year is it now though? Assuming the Civil War ended in 1865 still, how many years has it been since then?

The exact year was never mentioned in WWX, wether in the first edition nor in the second edition.

The only thing your can read is the following (from  the website): 

In the twilight years of the Nineteenth Century, mankind is perched upon a new age of discovery and enlightenment. However, humanity's greed and ambition have created a Dystopian Age where nations clash and the threat of war forever lingers. 

27 minutes ago, Burson_Carpathian said:

The exact year was never mentioned in WWX, wether in the first edition nor in the second edition.

The only thing your can read is the following (from  the website): 

Twilight years? I thought immortal space vampires were bad, not sure I can cope with sparkly romantic ones!

33 minutes ago, Glauco said:

Old SG fluff in the last version take on 1876, six years after the beginning of all, but there's altered fact earlier 

The DWars universe has three points of deviation from our world that define its fluff.  In the English Civil War Cromwell kicks off industrialisation so traflgar was fought wuth ironclads.  Secondly the death of Napoleon in 1804 led to a Prussian dominated Europe.  Thirdly Sturgeon's discovery of the Vault and with it the generator technology in 1850.  There are lots of other changes but most stem from those three events.

If there ever was a setting for cross dimensional story work I've not seen it, hum I wonder if I can get someone to do me some rules for Cuthulu, a fleet of old ones would just be lovely.

52 minutes ago, Asuo said:

If there ever was a setting for cross dimensional story work I've not seen it, hum I wonder if I can get someone to do me some rules for Cuthulu, a fleet of old ones would just be lovely.

The old Covenant of Antarctica and their O-Space Portals might be perfect for that.  

2 hours ago, RuleBritannia said:

The old Covenant of Antarctica and their O-Space Portals might be perfect for that.  

All it would take is an error during coordinate mapping.

In the older edition, we used to treat the AP loss from the chart as a "Philadelphia Experiment" type mishap. It could just as easily be some entity taking a few souls as "payment" for traversing through its territory.

11 hours ago, Glauco said:

Old SG fluff in the last version take on 1876, six years after the beginning of all, but there's altered fact earlier 

Alright, thanks. I have sort of my own crazy posse headcanon for my unnamed bandits based on some real historical contemporaries, and I wasn't sure if they were actually quite within the proper age range to be slinging guns, lol, since most of them are ten to twenty years older than Wyatt Earp.

I dunno, once I realized that William Rand and Andrew McNally were already at it making their famous atlases, I felt like they might go on some trips around the west to find stuff out. And while I was at it why not throw in Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis right? Gotta have them denim jeans!

1876 would make them... 48, 38, 47, and 45... still reasonably able to hold their own right? Man, make those guys a mini Warcradle, and I would be all over it! haha

Thanks!

2 hours ago, David said:

Alright, thanks. I have sort of my own crazy posse headcanon for my unnamed bandits based on some real historical contemporaries, and I wasn't sure if they were actually quite within the proper age range to be slinging guns, lol, since most of them are ten to twenty years older than Wyatt Earp.

I dunno, once I realized that William Rand and Andrew McNally were already at it making their famous atlases, I felt like they might go on some trips around the west to find stuff out. And while I was at it why not throw in Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis right? Gotta have them denim jeans!

1876 would make them... 48, 38, 47, and 45... still reasonably able to hold their own right? Man, make those guys a mini Warcradle, and I would be all over it! haha

Thanks!

Dad's gunslingers or Expendables style one last job?

Assuming the first is not a specific reference and more just like, older gunslingers, then I would say a smattering of both with a hint more of the first.

Legend has it that during the Great Chicago Fire, Rand McNally hastily buried some of their printing machines in the sandy beaches of lake Michigan, so they could be up and running just a couple days after the fire. I realize the big ole fire hasn't happened yet, but I felt like if they had that kind of quirky quick-thinking, then in a WWX kind of world, they would likely be out and about mapping trails and things themselves, hands-on. With the advent of new technologies I also thought they might have gotten an earlier start on things like their system of rating various' cities economic functions. Likely the Enlightened, with their Promethean Complex cities, and incessant internal rivalries, would be dangerously competitive about courting a prime ranking for their home base in the Rand McNally Atlases that so many people would be reading. Posturing! Politicking! Danger and hi-jinks on the trail ensue!

Perhaps if I come up with something real good I might write another fan-fiction about it all.   XD

My ideas for tying in Levi and Jacob are a lot less solid at this point, just thought it would be fun to include more contemporaries.

4 hours ago, StorminWolf said:

I'm not sure but dad's Gunslinger may be a reference to an older English Tv series called "Dad's Army".

I sometimes forget people haven't seen Dad's army.  I was imagining a home guard unit, so yes, sounds great, maybe less move but experience and superior scouting ability sounds good.