Sign in to follow this  
Broadcast

Painting Warrior Nation Part One: Skin

Over the next few days, I will be painting the Tribal Retribution Starter Set so I’ll be recording my progress in a series of blogs.

Today is all about skin. Here’s a very rough and ready painting guide I put together whilst on my lunch break!

You’ll need the following paints:

P3 Paints

• Idrian flesh

• Khardic Flesh

• Ryn Flesh

• Umbral Umber

GW Paints

• Reikland Fleshshade

• Seraphim Sepia

Step 1 - Basecoat

Basecoat your model with Idrian Flesh, then give it a generous wash of Reikland Fleshshade to set the basic skin tone.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Step 2 - Creating Volume

We’re going to add volume to the muscles by highlighting them with Khardic Flesh...

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Step 3 - Adding Definition

Now we're going to add definition by highlighting the uppermost surfaces of the muscles using a 50/50 mix of Khardic Flesh and Ryn Flesh.

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Step 4 - Adding Further Definition

Further definition is added with pure Ryn Flesh - once again, concentrate on the edges and uppermost surfaces of the muscles.

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Step 5 - Creating Contrast

Time to add some contrast now. Water down Umbral Umber 4:1 and use this to shade the recesses and undersides of the muscles.

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

Step 6 - Tie our highlights and shades

All flesh areas are given a glaze of Seraphim Sepia to tie our highlights and shades together.

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

And that’s it - Job Done!

This will look great on the tabletop but after I’ve finished the whole Posse, I will go back and add subtle nuances to the flesh tones for a more individual look. 

~ Daz

View the full article

Edited by Broadcast
Compatible with blog