Wolfgang Jannesen

3rd IronWatch Expeditionary Strike Force [RSN]

Link here because I can't fit these on the forum

I'm not phenomenal at miniatures admittedly, but from the carrier as my first FSA model to the cruiser I'm getting more confident. I'm working with enamel paints right now and I'd really like to switch to acrylics but i'm worried that I'm going to lose visual cohesiveness on my fleet. I do love the way their metals look though. Please criticize! Any tips at all would be very helpful. 

That's really neat! The green and shiney black works really well together, and I love the grey and blue tinting. As for acrylics, I do find they work a lot better for blending and subtle effects. What brushes do you use?

10 hours ago, varnos said:

That's really neat! The green and shiney black works really well together, and I love the grey and blue tinting. As for acrylics, I do find they work a lot better for blending and subtle effects. What brushes do you use?

Synthetic bushes, they stand up to brush cleaning better than the rest and I appreciate that a lot when you've got a couple different solvents involved. Can anyone give me a recommendation for an acrylic brand with really nice metals? 

12 hours ago, Wolfgang Jannesen said:

Synthetic bushes, they stand up to brush cleaning better than the rest and I appreciate that a lot when you've got a couple different solvents involved. Can anyone give me a recommendation for an acrylic brand with really nice metals? 

I swear by vallejo myself, they have a great range with good metallics. They also allow you to use kolinsky sable hair brushes, which let paint flow really nicely. I started painting a *lot* neater after I got good brushes.

Work on my two Spectre class battleships is halted by resin an pewter gluing failures. One fell apart completely, one lost its battle bridge under the iron scrutiny of Admiral Jannesen himself. There is a really clear shift in the casting quality of spartan miniatures over time, and this patrol fleet looks like it was one of the earlier releases. I'm not great at taking care of pewter and decided to just deal with casting lines on the engines, not confident taking those off with my tools. I've also got one of those three peg bases for a two peg battleship. I'm thinking of just chopping it down to support one of the front 'tusks' and putting the rear peg in as usual. I'll measure and put a dot on the base for the regular front peg to measure from. 

Ive got a box of destroyers on the way and I think that's all I'll be able to collect until warcradle releases the new lines :wub: 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I know the feeling. My razor thorn has been known to snap off at the engines. If its resin to resin you might try drilling a very small hole in the two pieces then glueing a piece of  paperclip or wire into the holes. It will reinforce the joint for you. Just make the holes are  lined up before you glue everything together  or your parts will be crooked,  ask me how I know:D

Spectre 1 of 2 ready for a little cleanup and finish! I understand people's feelings about gloss finishes (and using a lot of straight gold paint rather than non metallic metals) but I like gloss finishes so my fleets been getting them. This was the ship model that got me into Firestorm and it was a real pleasure to paint and stare at. Because I still don't trust resin-to-pewter gluing I painted the underside of the ship last night and finished the top today

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Adventures in highlighting! I didn't really like the way an initial 1:1 black and grey mix looked for highlights so I switched to a pale purple and did a very simple light source for the whole fleet. How does it look in your opinions? Shapiro down there looks like he approves. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

58 minutes ago, Skyhawk said:

They look fine to me. Is that supposed to be exposed metal on some of the edges?  

Nope, just ambient lighting picking up off of edges. I'm debating giving it a wash or two, but it DEFINITELY made all the black pop as is.