Grand-Stone

New company...

Obviously we are very distant from any kind of release yet, but there is certainly an interesting question for designers of rules and models combining such beautiful ranges and getting the rules and fluff to match up.  In the classic DWars Japan modernised not because they were afraid of Western aggression but because they suffered terribly in an invasion of Korea, and so therefore looked to organically create a new fleet that combined a historical interest in alchemy with gorgeous train inspired lines that stressed both their modernity as an industrial nation stressing advancement, that made up for their relatively more size as a major power.  Elite, efficient and with a radical combined arms formation, and a stress on durability and efficiency.  China by comparison had lagged behind, and was only just completing a major process of industrialisation due to weak central government, and only the major task of rebuilding the great wall to defend against the iron khans (oh god why couldn't Spartan survive long enough for steampunk steambike Mongols?) and the suggestion of the discovery of a second smaller vault had allowed them to develop a modern sturginium age force.  This meant that their ships drew more upon traditional Chinese designs compared to the almost futurism inspired Japanese.  The New fluff with its stress on the 'Celestial' Empire as hyper advanced yet stagnant sitting in their own corner until the British arrive means that I can see why they would stress the more Chinese style archetypal design, but seems a lost opportunity to show the full spectrum of factions if they decide to cut back on the Japanese designs.

2 hours ago, Grand-Stone said:

I hope the old EoBS would be the dominant inspiration. Cuz EoBS was a major nation, china was not.

That being said, the Chinese skimming fortification could be fun addition. I don't mind some conscription crews either.

Screen+Shot+2017-12-02+at+13.49.55.png

From the current official releases looks like the Chinese elements are dominant

3 minutes ago, RuleBritannia said:

This scares me, as this is clearly Chinese. Good looking, not that, but... it just indicates that my existing EoBS navy does not fit in. EoBS was a major nation,  Far more people have a EoBS navy than a Chinese one. Chinese was not a major nation...  And it more than indicates that most of the excisting peaces will not fit either. That would be a big no in my book.

That being said, I think spartan should have focused on the major nations. So having few factions is a plus in my book.

However, that being said, as long as this comes in addition to the old line of models, this one could look fun.

It has an classical EoBS gun turret with rockets similar to the Kaiji. It has what seems to be flamethrower in the front. Some broadside guns and something Massive at the rear. And a generator in the middle.

4 hours ago, Warcradle Stuart said:

No, that isn’t our intention. Faction battlegroups already have a bonus of being far more flexible than themed ones. 

Thanks for the clarification 

20 hours ago, RuleBritannia said:

Definitely looks Chinese but also has the EotBS symbol on the front.  I love the detail on it.  Are those paddlewheels on the side?  Is the scale for Dystopian wars staying the same?

16 minutes ago, Grand-Stone said:

I'm wondering what the weapon at the back is...

It's the same rocket part the Japanese cruisers have. 

Though, I do prefer the rocket drop on the Chinese had. They were so large that it was easy to say that they had on board manual targeting system  (or put another way, a Chinese soldier is inside the rocket guiding it to their target)

Fracas, they said we will be able to use all the SG models,  but they will not be making the SG models.  They will be making their own models.   They did not specify if the SG models will be different ships from the new ones or if you will be able to use either the SG model or their new model for the same ship.  Hope that helps.

The concern for me remains that WC spoke about streamlining the ranges, yet have produced an entirely new class of battleship, whilst being unwilling to continue to produce Spartan vessels, and I believe Stuart mentioned that would be unwilling to produce rules for models they don't produce, leaving us a situation of uncertainty.  Either the existing range will be transferred via hardpoints that allow the existing range to be recreated in WC vessels,  the position on producing rules for legacy models has changed, or there will be some lost models.

Sounds unfortunate and unnecessary 

why buythe IP but not use the best part of that IP, the models and in the process alienating the Gamer’s who own those models 

Last I saw, WC were going to put some of the most viable models back into production, if the moulds and/or master model that Spartan developed are still good for use.

In my mind, that means most of the models from v2 should be fine.

For example, for the Prussians I suspect that models such as the Uhlan Cruiser, Kaiser Karl HBB, and Elbe carrier might be completely fine to put back into production as they are now without modification. 

Other models like the Frigates, Corvettes, and the battlecruiser might not be in a good enough condition anymore for making new moulds and casts for. So these might need revamped, or just dropped in favour of a new model with drop on options to make sure that older models aren't left behind and the stats come in a Mk1 and Mk2 stat configuration, where the Mk1 is the current version and the Mk2 is the new model.

Some models though will be going the way of the dodo though, like the Emperor Battleship, Riever Cruisers, and maybe the Geier. These models will be discontinued and folded into the stats of other models. The Emperor can easily be folded into the Eider stats as they are almost exactly the same. The Riever can be folded into the Uhlan Cruisers, but the Uhlan stats can be modified to have the original stats and a Tesla version to allow players to use the Riever as it is.

Last I saw these were their plans for the current range, but you can't blame them for trying to do something different with the models to stamp Warcradles identity onto the range, misguided as it could well be in the end. Their modifications can quite easily backfire and instead of getting more people into the setting it might just put more people off the game entirely. 

However, that's not something we can predict at this stage and we can but wait to see what else they plan to reveal to the public. Sooner would be better than later, as the DW community in general has been slowly dying since WC did the Q&A, (theres only 2 topics being talked about in the forum by the same 6 people) and the Facebook page they took over has nothing but picture of people with their rulebooks, rather than a place for discussion and showing off paint jobs.

That could be just most have decided to wait in silence, or they've gone their merry way. But we can't force them to reveal anything until they feel they are ready.

16 hours ago, fracas said:

Will most of the current naval and aerial models be continued to be playable and produced?

My 5 cents to. I don't care if they are updated for new costumers as long as the old models are playable.

For example, let us take the old Sokutsu... For game purposes that old model is very similar one of the new BB,  so it could be used as one if you already have the Sokutsu. All you then need is a BB with similar size, with 2 guns, rockets and torpedoes... 

51 minutes ago, Merlin said:

Last I saw, WC were going to put some of the most viable models back into production, if the moulds and/or master model that Spartan developed are still good for use.

In my mind, that means most of the models from v2 should be fine.

For example, for the Prussians I suspect that models such as the Uhlan Cruiser, Kaiser Karl HBB, and Elbe carrier might be completely fine to put back into production as they are now without modification. 

Well they showed a willingness to remodel and mould the Ice Maiden, which is one of the most up to date models, and produced new renders of various new models with pretty minor aesthetic changes so I wouldn't hold your breath on even v2 models coming back.  The question then is if they streamline the range for models that can't fit into their new production will they receive rules or not?  

I will not comment on the background of making allied japan and China, I don't want to be banned:P

However, in general, I really wish they get rid of the silly "natonal logo etched into hull" aspect. Yes, most navies had some sort of coats of arms on their ships, but they didn't take up 1/3rd of the prow. It just looks tacky and toylike.

1 hour ago, Pok said:

However, in general, I really wish they get rid of the silly "natonal logo etched into hull" aspect. Yes, most navies had some sort of coats of arms on their ships, but they didn't take up 1/3rd of the prow. It just looks tacky and toylike.

Most don't have that but check out the current HMS Dragon. It looks great.

I have the same problem with the KoB render with lions everywhere.  Looks more like a pleasure boat than a serious warship.  It's the same problem as late GW stuff where the identity is given to the model, rather than allowing the player to add their own.