Xystophoroi

New Mechanics You Would Add?

2 hours ago, Pok said:

Dropfleet, for it's many flaws, deals just fine without any sort of turning tool and turning on the spot.  Let's not act like current movement makes the game anything but circling down the drain while firing broadsides most of time.

Well I'm not familiar with Dropfleet, but my point was that movement is important in a game like this and I'd like to see a similar importance maintained. 

We've considered adding a "second movement" action where you can move twice, at the expense of not firing weapons during that activation.  The thought was to help short range factions close the distance in the opening rounds of the game.  I'd be curious how a wider playtest would shake out on this idea.

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Jannesen said:

I know I'd still want to be able to fire after a move. Could I suggest halving attack dice like cloaking fields? I support a rule like this a lot, especially since I hear a lot of talk about sorylians desperately needing a way to close the gap

The problem is that with a blanket rule like this it will help the Sorylians, but will also massively help Aquans.

Better to just adjust Sorylian stats. Which as we are due for a v3 from Warcradle, it will be the perfect time. Heck - we might not even have the same movement rules at all.

4 hours ago, Toxic_Rat said:

We've considered adding a "second movement" action where you can move twice, at the expense of not firing weapons during that activation.  The thought was to help short range factions close the distance in the opening rounds of the game.  I'd be curious how a wider playtest would shake out on this idea.

Balancing long and close range factions in the same game has always been tricky. If you make the ranged army too good then the close range can't get into range before taking too heavy loses. On the other hand if you make the short ranged faction faster/tougher then you can run the risk that they get into close range too well and beat the long ranged faction too well

The other issue is that if you make units too fast you can end up where Warhammer 40K is - whereby you can almost get into close combat (or actually get into it) on turn one. Great for close combat armies, but makes every game hang on the first turn a bit too much. Ideally games should hang the most action around the middle of the expected number of turns per game, on average. That way there's more chance both players are roughly in place and have had a chance to act out part of their game-plan. 

I would think that a generic second movement could help, but might speed up things a bit much.

Another angle would be to have rangebands linked to a defenceband/accuracy band. Ergo that the rangeband on the ship stats defines the attack power, but a ships defensive stats define how accurate/how much damage affects them. Ergo allowing a ship to vary its defences based on range of attacks relative to it. 

Thus you could have your close ranged ships have a tougher set of armour/better avoidance of long range attacks; but pay for it with weaker close range armour. Thus letting them survive a long ranged factions bombardment in good order; but when getting into range suffer from increased damage even though the long ranged factions guns are not "as" good in the close range. 

3 hours ago, steve_990 said:

The problem is that with a blanket rule like this it will help the Sorylians, but will also massively help Aquans.

Better to just adjust Sorylian stats. Which as we are due for a v3 from Warcradle, it will be the perfect time. Heck - we might not even have the same movement rules at all.

It's largely dependant on how it is handled.  If it is just double movement, then yes, it will only help those that are already swift.  Infinity has it set up so that the second movement score is different than the first.  If the Sorylians had a poor to medium initial Movement, but a strong second Movement stat, while the Aquans could be setup with a decent initial Movement, but a poor second Movement stat, then it would see a strong reason for the lizards to use the boosted speed, but little reason for the Aquans to do so.

Other options to consider are making it a MAR, or perhaps evening it out at an extra 4" for your second movement and some ships that badly need it can have a MAR to double that? I'm fond of the idea of declaring it in between your move and weapons phase, and you can't turn on an extra movement (I've just called this concept afterburners in my head). You are either charging straight in with hopes of closing the distance next turn, or fleeing straight away at phenomenal speed.