Jump to content

We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

LionofPerth

Round Two - More Questions

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, some more questions on building some of the not so little collection of mine. I'll try to break it up into faction, box it's from. 

 

Aquan - 

With the Aquans from the Return of the Overseer box, I was thinking of trying to paint them in a very organic, less coral and more fish. To do this I was thinking of having two different shades of undercoat, the underside would be brighter on top and darker underneath. Have you seen anything similar done? Did you try such a thing and what fish did you use? I'm thinking something tropical, striped, plenty of red, orange, less yellow, as that is a funny colour to work. 

If you've got pics, please share. Thoughts welcome. 

 

Planetary Defence Groups - 

How did you guys put together the Dindrenzi, Directorate and Terran Alliance stations? 

I'm thinking with the Terran one, I will have to make it a paint and then assemble job, the others I'm not so sure on. Again, advice welcome. 

 

Dindrenzi - 

I'm tempted to try and get some number decals to show the squadron, task force, ship registration, on the side of the nose, of cruisers, battleships. You guys done anything similar? If so, where did you get your decals? 

If you've done it, pics please. 

For the planetary assault carrier, my gut says this is a paint then assemble job. If you've built it, how did you do it? How did it go and did it turn out as you planned? 

For the cruisers in that box, I'm thinking of magnetising the containers to the ship hull. Have you done anything similar? Where did you put the magnets? Did you go for one magnet or two? 

Again, if you've done it, how and did it go as planned? 

 

RSN - 

Two parter here. 

You guys know the underside/keel fin on RSN ships? I was thinking of painting that up as a cooling tower, showing it as having been through a bit of heat? I'm hoping by using a darker base coat and some Nuln oil could show that. Did you try anything similar? Do you guys think it will work? 

Part two is what I want to do the  with the general scheme. I'm wanting to do something similar to what Sorastro did to Darth Vader, for the Imperial Assault line. I was thinking of picking out the engines in a red glow and the weapons in a blue tint. Add to this a very dark but not black type of scheme with some light camo type of touches, it should be pretty menacing. If you've seen or tried anything like it, please share. I've got a few models of theirs and I want them to look, evil. 

 

Battle for Valhalla - 

Anyone lucky enough to get those arms out of the plastic and not need to drill out holes in the large station model? 

If so, how? I would love to know. 

 

Return of the Overseers - 

I want to show the Gate as being really  battered. I mean really battered. I don't want to drill in it however. I'm wondering if a heavy and patchy dose of Nuln Oil would work, over a more coppery, glossy metal. 

If you've tried anything similar, paints and pictures welcome. 

 

Daedelus Station - 

I think with these, I have two, I will have to paint, glue, paint, final assemble. What I'd like tips on is for the two small spheres, orbs, on the arms. I'd like to paint them up in a really glossy, reflective blue. Any tips? Any particular blends you've worked with? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These all seem like very good questions.  I used to scroll through the older posts in the hobby section to get ideas.  A majority of the links should still be viable.

As more people hear about the forums, I believe the hobby section will take off again.

Alas I am more of a builder than a painter or I would comment on your ideas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Pathogen said:

These all seem like very good questions.  I used to scroll through the older posts in the hobby section to get ideas.  A majority of the links should still be viable.

As more people hear about the forums, I believe the hobby section will take off again.

Alas I am more of a builder than a painter or I would comment on your ideas.

 

Reason it's here, so that as people join, rejoin, they can see it and they can hopefully share some success stories. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, LionofPerth said:

Aquan - 

With the Aquans from the Return of the Overseer box, I was thinking of trying to paint them in a very organic, less coral and more fish. To do this I was thinking of having two different shades of undercoat, the underside would be brighter on top and darker underneath. Have you seen anything similar done? Did you try such a thing and what fish did you use? I'm thinking something tropical, striped, plenty of red, orange, less yellow, as that is a funny colour to work. 

If you've got pics, please share. Thoughts welcome.

People have, not me personally, I went for a very coral/trilobite colour scheme. I do however plan to do something similar for my Aquan ground forces. I want that crab like feel. I plan to paint them beige/white and the then air brush from the top only reds and browns. I'm sure I have seen two-tone Aquan ships floating about on google though.

 

19 hours ago, LionofPerth said:

 

Planetary Defence Groups - 

How did you guys put together the Dindrenzi, Directorate and Terran Alliance stations? 

I'm thinking with the Terran one, I will have to make it a paint and then assemble job, the others I'm not so sure on. Again, advice welcome. 

Got the Dind one. Built it, painted it. Underside is fairly bland and not visible so no need to worry too much about it.

 

19 hours ago, LionofPerth said:

RSN - 

Two parter here. 

You guys know the underside/keel fin on RSN ships? I was thinking of painting that up as a cooling tower, showing it as having been through a bit of heat? I'm hoping by using a darker base coat and some Nuln oil could show that. Did you try anything similar? Do you guys think it will work? 

Part two is what I want to do the  with the general scheme. I'm wanting to do something similar to what Sorastro did to Darth Vader, for the Imperial Assault line. I was thinking of picking out the engines in a red glow and the weapons in a blue tint. Add to this a very dark but not black type of scheme with some light camo type of touches, it should be pretty menacing. If you've seen or tried anything like it, please share. I've got a few models of theirs and I want them to look, evil. 

Sound like perfectly good ideas. I'd just not go too black or you mught loose out on the details. So some edge highlighting or something with dark greys/blues

 

19 hours ago, LionofPerth said:

Battle for Valhalla - 

Anyone lucky enough to get those arms out of the plastic and not need to drill out holes in the large station model? 

If so, how? I would love to know. 

No, this thing is a PITA. half my legs have broken, need to re-attach and splint them with some thing.

 

19 hours ago, LionofPerth said:

Return of the Overseers - 

I want to show the Gate as being really  battered. I mean really battered. I don't want to drill in it however. I'm wondering if a heavy and patchy dose of Nuln Oil would work, over a more coppery, glossy metal. 

If you've tried anything similar, paints and pictures welcome. 

Use some other washes like the black and sepia as well in various patches, do it while the previous colour is still a little wet and let things sort of blend naturally in patches. Repeat a couple of times to build it up. Did this for Space Marine vindicator shields for a worn look. 

 

19 hours ago, LionofPerth said:

Daedelus Station - 

I think with these, I have two, I will have to paint, glue, paint, final assemble. What I'd like tips on is for the two small spheres, orbs, on the arms. I'd like to paint them up in a really glossy, reflective blue. Any tips? Any particular blends you've worked with? 

Two!? lucky devil! Base coat light silver, couple of blue washes? maybe the GW gemstone blue paint? or blues and Gloss varnish? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cas said:

For battle damage just applying nuln oil probably wont cut it. It will look more like patches of light. Take a file and stanley knife to bits of it, then nuln oil the cuts after painting the cuts grey of dark silver.

 

I don't think I will be doing that, too destructive for my liking. I want to show the damage but also show that this thing just doesn't work on the same model, principles as their technology, metals do. 

 

Kaptyn Krys

A few replies there. Yeah, I got lucky on the two stations, I'll check out those paints. They sound like a good place to start. 

RSN, I'm probably going to work on colours  a few steps above black as my darkest, add some white/very light grey to the tips, raised platforms, I think it should be dark enough, but also still have that detail. Add in the red glow and it should be mean. 

Aquan, less crab and more..... angel fish, tetra on some level. I want them to be vibrant and more organic. Set them apart from the more boring, engineered ships of say, Dindrenzi, Terran, Directorate etc. 

Overseer gate, sounds like a plan  and some pots to check out, thanks. 

Battle for Valhalla, damn, oh well. I was hoping a particularly fine saw blade would be the key. I should have a few of those about. 

 

Here's hoping I get the chance to do all of this some time soon. I really, really, really, want to run that pen and paper campaign. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/12/2017 at 1:58 PM, LionofPerth said:

Hi guys, some more questions on building some of the not so little collection of mine. I'll try to break it up into faction, box it's from. 

 

Aquan - 

With the Aquans from the Return of the Overseer box, I was thinking of trying to paint them in a very organic, less coral and more fish. To do this I was thinking of having two different shades of undercoat, the underside would be brighter on top and darker underneath. Have you seen anything similar done? Did you try such a thing and what fish did you use? I'm thinking something tropical, striped, plenty of red, orange, less yellow, as that is a funny colour to work. 

If you've got pics, please share. Thoughts welcome.

I've not tried it myself, but a lot of folks seem to rate 'pre shading' when spray undercoating, especially for 28mm minis.

The idea is to do a uniform undercoat of black then hit is with a lightly applied white undercoat that highlights the raised areas. Lots of washes & glazes are then applied to add colour. 

 

Yours sounds like a similar idea and you could probably blend the transition from black to white. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.