Sign in to follow this  
Erwl

What's in store for the Alliance?

Alright guys, let's get the discussion (and rampant speculation) going!

It seems that among the new factions, we ended up with one of the most contrasted one, along with the most potential for internal conflict. So what do you think is going to happen to this already surprising alliance?

If I was WC and trying to justify this ridiculous bunch of folk, it would be as a Bonapartist alliance, straining under their beneficent, well dressed, but very Corsican rule.  Napoleon set up his brothers as kings of Italy and Spain, and with Britain, for some reason staying out of the war, or Pitt the Elder being replaced by an alien replicant, allowed the Bonapartes to stay in power and forge together the Empire.  Without Trafalgar they would have a combined fleet able to project power onto the New World and maintain their control of the Spanish colonies, maybe even Louisana.  Does mean that the Spanish Empire, for some reason, must allow themselves to be guided by time displaced Conquistadors, but the Bonapartes may be so weak that they rely on them to legitimate the regime along with the pope.

If I am being honest, my first thought when I saw the list for the new Latin Alliance ( France, Italy, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, Chile, and USA.), my mind immediately jumped to linguistic roots.

I confess I don't know a lot about languages of the world, but I am pretty sure that French, Italian, and Spanish at least are the romance languages are they not? With the same roots?

I know that really doesn't mean something for all of those countries, but I am just saying what I thought first.

Yes, the Latin Alliance's members all speak romance languages (Cue angry Flemish people). In fact, the only romance-language nation that's confirmed to not be a member is Romania (With the parts of central and south America that may or may not have been annexed by the Americans/Chile/Celestials or be part of the SUSA in the new fluff remaining unaccounted for).

From what Warcradle has hinted at, it seems to me that the various members are supposed to be on a more or less equal standing, and that the RoF is only currently "leading" the alliance through diplomatic shenanigans within it (and overseeing the Spanish Infante's regency). I also think it's less of a long-standing alliance like the Celestial Empire is made out to be and more of an "allies of convenience" type of thing, only in place because most of the members would have been easy picking for the other major powers otherwise.

11 hours ago, Erwl said:

From what Warcradle has hinted at, it seems to me that the various members are supposed to be on a more or less equal standing, and that the RoF is only currently "leading" the alliance through diplomatic shenanigans within it (and overseeing the Spanish Infante's regency). I also think it's less of a long-standing alliance like the Celestial Empire is made out to be and more of an "allies of convenience" type of thing, only in place because most of the members would have been easy picking for the other major powers otherwise.

I don't want to be too negative, but that is a little disappointing if that is the way they are going, slapping together such varied regimes, interests and politics on the basis of a shared language rather than finding a better throughline, just as they have done with the Asian factions.  I hope there turns out to be a better linkage justified by the alt history.

11 minutes ago, RuleBritannia said:

I don't want to be too negative, but that is a little disappointing if that is the way they are going, slapping together such varied regimes, interests and politics on the basis of a shared language rather than finding a better throughline, just as they have done with the Asian factions.  I hope there turns out to be a better linkage justified by the alt history.

It's a strategic alliance, rather than anything overly romantic.  Essentially half a dozen minor powers allying together to ensure that they have a greater presence on the world stage than individually. Napoleon is absolutely the political driving force behind this.  There will be more information going up on them in the coming months.  The seeds of the Alliance were sown in the aftermath of Trafalgar (which was fought against the Crown by the French and Spanish).

Regarding the Conquistadores in North America, I doubt that eight Spaniards running about the American frontier is giving the Alliance too much to think about. I’d imagine that outside of perhaps Napoleon’s intelligence service, most are unaware they even exist.

Edited by Warcradle Stuart

11 minutes ago, RuleBritannia said:

I didn't mean to suggest  I thought that the linguistic connection was the backstory reason for the alliance, merely something that I noticed first. I don't doubt that they have a much more well thought out reason for things, and I look forward to hearing what it is. In the meantime, continuing the rampant speculation from the original post sounds good to me.

1 hour ago, Warcradle Stuart said:

It's a strategic alliance, rather than anything overly romantic.  Essentially half a dozen minor powers allying together to ensure that they have a greater presence on the world stage than individually. Napoleon is absolutely the political driving force behind this.  There will be more information going up on them in the coming months.  The seeds of the Alliance were sown in the aftermath of Trafalgar (which was fought against the Crown by the French and Spanish).

Regarding the Conquistadores in North America, I doubt that eight Spaniards running about the American frontier is giving the Alliance too much to think about. I’d imagine that outside of perhaps Napoleon’s intelligence service, most are unaware they even exist.

France is not a minor power, and even a weakened Spain with its empire are not to be sniffed at.  Depending on how the Spanish guerrilla movement against the French went in the Napoleonic  wars they'd need a lot of justification to work with the French.  I thought the conquistadors were important?  Seemed pretty cool when they were immortal guardians leading the development of the Spanish Empire.

1 hour ago, RuleBritannia said:

France is not a minor power, and even a weakened Spain with its empire are not to be sniffed at.  Depending on how the Spanish guerrilla movement against the French went in the Napoleonic  wars they'd need a lot of justification to work with the French.  I thought the conquistadors were important?  Seemed pretty cool when they were immortal guardians leading the development of the Spanish Empire.

The fallout from the defeat by the Crown, the exile of Napoleon and the revolution greatly diminished much of the former power of France. The France of the Dystopian Age is not the same as France in second edition Dystopian Wars or the French in Anti-Ice or The Difference Engine. It is weakened but thanks to some strategic alliances and a leadership role in the Latin Alliance, it is on the rise once again. 

The Conquistadores are part of Wild West Exodus' narrative, but the narrative of the American Frontier is not hugely influential to what takes place elsewhere in the world.  

I'm an old player, and I know how much fluff is important...

In some ways, this  rearrangment of alliances can be a good thing for the game, but Latin Alliance resembles a miscellanea of some high-exploding  potions...

I can see some connection but for me these connection are so flebile that you cannot base an alliance from them...

By the way, I play LoIS and I hope in a good background  for my nation