Skyhawk

Painting Challenge Ideas.

Myself and a few other players have been discussing about doing a  Painting  challenge when the forum reopened. The goals of course are to have fun and  learn new skills. Would anyone be interested in participating  in a  challenge? And does anyone have any ideas for it.   

Thanks!

In the hobby section in the Infinity forums, there is a painting support group for every month. You set yourself a goal, what you will paint this month and try to achieve it.:) Very helpful and motivating.

A real challenge is not something i would participate, as i my time management is ...mhh... erratic. :rolleyes:

I'd be up for it, if a few things go my way. 

I'd suggest making it a flag ship competition, if you want to really make something special. I don't mean any old ship, should be a flagship. Should be something that has to stand out, has to be at the top of your game. 

Great Ideas all.

Here is what I am thinking at the moment.

Three challenges,  one for each tier . Contestants would have a month to work their ships for  that challenge . By the time you are done with all three challenges you would have a patrol fleet.

Thoughts?

On 12/21/2017 at 8:34 AM, Brimat said:

In the hobby section in the Infinity forums, there is a painting support group for every month. You set yourself a goal, what you will paint this month and try to achieve it.:) Very helpful and motivating.

@Skyhawk I believe this is what Zephyr Station meant. 

You want to practice engine glow? One way might be having every crack inbetween armour panels underlit, with a little bit of light spilling on to the armour above for the whole model? Works Raptor or Relthoza models have some cool angles to play with

17 hours ago, Bessemer said:
On 12/21/2017 at 3:34 AM, Brimat said:

@Skyhawk I believe this is what Zephyr Station meant. 

I should really pay more attention :blink:. Thanks.

Starting up a painting support group sounds like it would be fun. Would anyone be interested in participating? 

I would be up for Painting a Teir a month in a Paint-along format. Share together and encourage progress. I am not very competitive so I would be quite casual. 

It it would be nice to start off Febuary with a goal of doing a T3. 

Anyone else interested?

6 hours ago, WestAustralian said:

It it would be nice to start off Febuary with a goal of doing a T3. 

Anyone else interested?

This idea fits my stock of unpainted ships. A whole System Wars box full of sorylians. The T3 might be a good start. :)

Whoot!!!!!

Interest!!!!

I am happy to have this a casual T3 squadron painting in a month.

The models can be Primed and Undercoated, but not otherwise painted before February. ( @Skyhawk time to re-prep those Dindrenzi)

Participants should Post starting pics, updates, and finished pics. Hopefully everyone will get quite deep into it. 

Personally I am planning on selecting models from a force that I have not previously developed a scheme for. New force and fresh colours sound fun.

I consider it optional to go onto T2 & T1 later, depending on how everyone feels. 

Comments? Other Suggestions? More Interested Painters?

18 hours ago, WestAustralian said:

The models can be Primed and Undercoated, but not otherwise painted before February. ( @Skyhawk time to re-prep those Dindrenzi)

Don't worry they will be ready. May they set a new precedent for the Dark Knights of Dramos!

By the way, should we post the pics of our models here, on the Firestorm painting group thread, or our own hobby threads?

I personally think the "Paint-along" should get its own thread created closer to the starting date. So it doesn't fill with chat too early. I plan to write my big comments there with selected pics. In my hobby thread I will touch on the Paint-along, but mostly cover other stuff. I think it will feel more like a group activity that way. 

Many other questions, suggestions, participants?

So... I have had a dig through my unpainted miniatures. I am selecting my Paint-along force. 
I am ruling out anything I have already developed and painted a scheme for. That includes Directorate and Aquan which will be a variation of my Planetfall Scheme. 
I am also ruling out forces that I don't have a T1, T2 & T3 ready to go. I want to paint something different for this.

That leaves me with options of RSN, Sorylian, Xelocian, Traders, STL and Oroshan. 

I am not going to pick STL as I need time to figure out what I want to do with them. RSN is one of my big fleets, I might skip them because I have a Ton of Zenian League Painted and not much Kurak Alliance. Sorylian I have a really odd assortment of ships and kind of a scheme in mind. Oroshan and Xelocian I have extras in some Tiers and vague scheme ideas. Traders I have a very small fleet, 3 Frigates, 2 Cruisers and 2 Carriers (They were an impulse buy from my FLGS after the closure. )
I will pull out the Oroshan, Xelocian and Traders. If I set them up on my desk for a few days it should help me decide. 

Has anyone picked which Fleet and Ships they will paint?

I am painting my Dindrenzi pugios I don't have anything else that I can paint......:unsure:. Hopefully I'll get something new to paint for future challenges.

2 hours ago, WestAustralian said:

Sorylian I have a really odd assortment of ships and kind of a scheme in mind.

I wish I had  some Sorylians! I have a really cool paint scheme in mind for them! 

Dimdrenzi, Sorylian, Directorate. We are getting a nice variety of fleets for this. 

I will admit I am getting excited for this. Several years ago when I bought my first FSA miniatures there was a painting challenge on the forum. I joined up and painted my first relthoza. It was a great first exposure. This is bringing back those memories for me.