Texas_Archer

So what happens now?

8 hours ago, Texas_Archer said:

Any warceadle person.. it says that the crown includes the Canadian Navy, although Spartan closed before we got them. Are you guys going to be releasing a Canadian Navy?

I'm 97% certain we'll see some version of them, as the models were originally scheduled for release in the week Spartan closed. This implies that they had molds of some sort ready. Even if there were only data files, I'm sure Warcradle will have their own versions ready eventually.

On 27/12/2017 at 8:10 AM, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

I'm 97% certain we'll see some version of them, as the models were originally scheduled for release in the week Spartan closed. This implies that they had molds of some sort ready. Even if there were only data files, I'm sure Warcradle will have their own versions ready eventually.

I guess it would also depend on the direction the new game takes? The consolidation of the factions and the rejiggering of fluff might mean that the canadians are booted down the line as a "possible, but not very interesting" if there are no interesting narrative conflicts to support their existence. I hope so though, I was drooling at the pictures and I (unfortunately) preordered them the moment that they were up on the original website.

3 hours ago, varnos said:

I guess it would also depend on the direction the new game takes? The consolidation of the factions and the rejiggering of fluff might mean that the canadians are booted down the line as a "possible, but not very interesting" if there are no interesting narrative conflicts to support their existence. I hope so though, I was drooling at the pictures and I (unfortunately) preordered them the moment that they were up on the original website.

So did I. I had preordered both Canadian and Scandinavian fleets.

7 hours ago, RuleBritannia said:

Warcradle, for whatever reason, see to be against reusing any existing Spartan assets which seems a bit unnecessary.  

It's unfortunate, but also understandable. They want to make a fresh start with the game, and I'm sure the older models that still have viable molds will eventually return to production.

26 minutes ago, RuleBritannia said:

I can't see why you would want buy an existing franchise of this size and throw away money by remaking models in this way.  But there are many decisions made so far that I'm sure the wisdom of will unfurl with time.

I am sure

I suspect its easier marketing wise to have all the factions look unique to the new edition of the game - a full reboot. I think it also lets them catch up some factions with new tech and casting and renders as not all factions came out at the same time. Also don't forget this also lets them put a bit of their other game into this one since they've merged Wild Wild West and Dystopian Wars into a single game. So part of this redesign will be them adjusting things to fit into this new game world. 

It makes sense for them, there's no point having two steam punk games from the same company competing together for the similar market share. 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

I suspect its easier marketing wise to have all the factions look unique to the new edition of the game - a full reboot. I think it also lets them catch up some factions with new tech and casting and renders as not all factions came out at the same time. Also don't forget this also lets them put a bit of their other game into this one since they've merged Wild Wild West and Dystopian Wars into a single game. So part of this redesign will be them adjusting things to fit into this new game world. 

It makes sense for them, there's no point having two steam punk games from the same company competing together for the similar market share. 

What is the point of buying the ip to do a full reboot of fluff, rules, and models?

7 hours ago, fracas said:

What is the point of buying the ip to do a full reboot of fluff, rules, and models?

I sincerely doubt they're throwing away everything, but rather realigning it to their vision of what would be cool and/or popular: if you look at the models that have been previewed on the manbattlestations blog, they're giving the factions their own spin, not deleting them and substituting their own stuff wholesale. I'm not immediately sold on the premise of an entirely new ruleset, but until they give us a beta to look at, there's little point criticising them about it. Let's be honest, a lot of people were unhappy with Dystopian Wars 2.5... Fingers crossed for a new version of the game that plays well and doesn't let most of my existing collection gather dust :ph34r:

WC has to change the rules to put their stamp on it: this is essential to do right

changing the fluff is optional but should be done if so inclined: would add value if done well but not essential 

to throw away all the current DW land models with the scale change seems financially risky. The land models never sold well ( though I love them) and if changing scale will make them hot cakes then great, but I never thought their lack of success was due to scale. The main benefit to a larger scale would be to have infantry models. If the scale reboot is not successful, then it is a resource sink. I would have just changed the rules.

ultimately WC make money by selling models.  

I think the scale change is to help enforce a divide between the ship and land based games. The bonus there is it actually makes the land units more viable as they are not trying to compete with ships on the high seas. The only thing we might lose from the land game as a result of the scale change is the mobile airfields as they would have to scale up to a larger size - of course airfield units were big but not vast - so in theory that means truely vast mobile airfiled super-land-ships one day (potentially