fracas

Firestorm fluff

On 1/17/2018 at 3:26 AM, WestAustralian said:

I am all for good fluff in a game, but I don't think the fluff needs to explain every potential conflict. Every time I play Zenian vs Zenian, and even Relthoza vs Relthoza, Works Raptor vs Works Raptor, etc. we either come up with a story at the table or just play the game. 

I want a rich background. I will be able to tell you why my Omnydine are fighting your Omnydine 

ok I look at it as new  flag officers  going through there practical exam for promotion, or a shake down for new ships of the line .  there is no need to over think some of this stuff. it can also be viewed that engagements agents allies are mixed arms training exercise.

7 minutes ago, murphy'slawofcombat said:

ok I look at it as new  flag officers  going through there practical exam for promotion, or a shake down for new ships of the line .  there is no need to over think some of this stuff. it can also be viewed that engagements agents allies are mixed arms training exercise.

OH! I completely agree. I know that I'll be running some more mixed fleets when I can get my hands on some new models

14 minutes ago, Wolfgang Jannesen said:

OH! I completely agree. I know that I'll be running some more mixed fleets when I can get my hands on some new models

I have all 6 core fleets to some degree , but mostly I play Terran's and being there is no one here in my town who is interested in the game. I tend to play solo.  this  could be a problem  but I choose to think of it as a way to sharpen my experience and game style of the other factions.  is it important to play agents another person . short answer Yes, but when you do not have anyone you make believe.  I would love to go to a trunie. some day but I lack the experience  of having played agents others.  " THE HUMAN FACTOR" if you will.

BTW my mom's family is from  Montreal  and my dad's is from New Brunswick eh

On 1/24/2018 at 7:02 PM, Overread said:

Well lets be honest here - Starwars, Startrek and Babalon 5 are huge lore wise. Of those three each is a monster in its own right with decades behind it and with at least the first two, multiple writers, authors, directors and more. So they have a vast body of lore.

So its a toss up between Dropfleet and Firestorm - I would say that Dropfleet potentially has an easier to understand lore (at its core you've got struggling humans and invading aliens). Firestorm I feel never really got its lore strongly established - but there's huge potential there. I'd say DF and Firestorm are both in the same kind of situation with regard to lore - both are new-both need more time to establish their lore. Firestorm is also undergoing revamping so its lore might well change

I remember in the old V1 rules there was a time line in place that gave a ruff idea on the happenings in human affairs. I came up with my own time line to some extent going back to WW2 or the end  there of. My point here is to start at the old time line that Spartan came out with and fill in the blanks weather WC does it or you do your own. true it is much better if WC does it so we are all on the same page and I still think that old written time line from Spartan should be used ,expanded and or tweeked to reflect the game and the direction WC tends to take it . just my thoughts on it 

On 1/24/2018 at 8:09 PM, Wolfgang Jannesen said:

What might really help is artwork and more staging on what these races and worlds look like in action. Going through Fleet Guides, there is definitely unique writing and history put into these factions. I think the groundwork of Firestorm's lore is good. What we're missing is the kind of background fluff that a lot of people on this forum are writing for themselves. There's some great fiction on here, maybe we can agree to push to make some canon. 

When we we talk about other franchises, their worlds are built with smaller stories giving big insights. Deep Space 9 gave us new ways of seeing non-federation powers interact, and fleshed out the powers by their interactions. EVE Online publishes pretty high quality short stories regularly, and so everything you don't see in game has a rich mythos. Games Workshop has their book series to cover everything. We might as well start forming ideas in story about how these interstellar nations work on a ground level

there have been a few of you guys out there who expressed interest in writing short stories in the FSA universe. this is not a bad idea. I would like to see WC take some of thies stories and get them published (keeping the rights to the stories) but also paying the auther for his/her work.  I feel we can create our fluff from lot of thies stories or at least help guide the fluff in a given direction .... what do yall think????

On 1/26/2018 at 9:03 AM, Charistoph said:

Yes, a good coherent background is something everyone is behind.  Unfortunately, unless Warcradle is going to suddenly start making Firestorm TV shows and movies, I doubt it will ever get close to Babylon 5, much less the monsters of Star Wars or Star Trek.  If they did, at best we get Transformers and GI Joe, at worst, we get Battletech.

Aside from paperback books, the only other way to get the name out for Firestorm would be licensing video games, and that can be painful, as Warmachine Tactics demonstrated.

there is also comic books  either on line  or actual paper comics . nothing off the wall  but  do the fluff  for the game , post  or publish batreps .  just a thought.???

I don't expect WC to rise to the levels of Black Library. Even Privateer Press, likely the biggest other company rivalling GW, don't have anything that touches on Black Library levels of resources. 

Honestly I'd say WC just need solid background within the rule book itself and any campaign or army books/packs that they release. They can then back this up with lore info presented online in the sections for each army on their website; in the product descriptions for units etc... Ergo create a lore and then back it up within multiple contact points for the models. 

Just look at how GW doesn't just have a gallery for their armies; they've got a store page which has a small paragraph of lore connected to each product listed.

You can go further with themed pages to the faction (eg using faction colours from the official army scheme; icons and designs that fit to the artistic style of the faction etc....). Ergo these are all small things that help reinforce the identity of a faction within the players mind. After that some good commissioned artwork depicting a few key battles/events can really help as well.

Other media, player contributions, other product lines (eg computer game); these all come later once the core product and core franchise is selling strong enough to support itself that the company can afford to branch out and experiment. That's basically what GW does; they hold the cards in their hands and then reach out when resources allow them too. By growing their brand in s trength they even make it to a point where other product lines want to have their IP (eg a lot of the computer game developers clearly WANT GW rather than GW hiring them). 

29 minutes ago, murphy'slawofcombat said:

there have been a few of you guys out there who expressed interest in writing short stories in the FSA universe. this is not a bad idea. I would like to see WC take some of thies stories and get them published (keeping the rights to the stories) but also paying the auther for his/her work.  I feel we can create our fluff from lot of thies stories or at least help guide the fluff in a given direction .... what do yall think????

There is this little thing that authors of series (are supposed to) get which is a packet which defines the limits of the universe so that things are consistent from event to event.  Without that, it can make the lore have a disconnect and be unsatisfying when going between authors.  I don't think Warcradle has made one available of any sort to work with.  For the amateurs, there are the fluff books that Spartan made up, but we don't know how the fluff will change when Warcradle starts putting things forward.  They may advance the story like in Dystopian Wars so that anything written using the Spartan lore is useless (ala Star Wars Legends, rip Mara Jade).

Even if WC is to produce a packet for other writers I would guess they'd want a period of time (years) to let their own lore hold its own and to explore it themselves before they could even really write and produce a well thought out packet of information for other writers to work with. A strong lore is one that is well founded and grounded rather than one that is written by too many people and dilutes itself. 

17 minutes ago, Overread said:

Even if WC is to produce a packet for other writers I would guess they'd want a period of time (years) to let their own lore hold its own and to explore it themselves before they could even really write and produce a well thought out packet of information for other writers to work with. A strong lore is one that is well founded and grounded rather than one that is written by too many people and dilutes itself. 

They need one for themselves in this process.  It will get expanded as they develop the game, of course, but they need a starting point.

At most, fan-fiction needs the basic concepts of the abilities and limits of the technology not used in the game, and the general personality types which prevail in each navy.  So long as the fan-fic writer doesn't start creating concepts out of the ether, they should be fine.

But for right now, it would be premature for significant fan-fic to be written up without recognizing that it may be outdated or "squished" out of relevant existence when Warcradle releases the new lore backgrounds.

2 hours ago, Charistoph said:

There is this little thing that authors of series (are supposed to) get which is a packet which defines the limits of the universe so that things are consistent from event to event.  Without that, it can make the lore have a disconnect and be unsatisfying when going between authors.  I don't think Warcradle has made one available of any sort to work with.  For the amateurs, there are the fluff books that Spartan made up, but we don't know how the fluff will change when Warcradle starts putting things forward.  They may advance the story like in Dystopian Wars so that anything written using the Spartan lore is useless (ala Star Wars Legends, rip Mara Jade).

I think it is there in the origenal time line  that Spartan did in V1&V1.5 use that as a starting point. expand it add to it  change some of it to fit the directions they want to go in. I think they have all that stuff when they took over Spartan. and IF THEY need a copy I still have my copy of the rules that I can send them.    just saying 

Hmm... I was hoping there would be more information since I last checked in. I'm kind of curious as to what will be done, as I think we all are. I think it's entertaining how we all seem to have different views on what should be focused on, how things should be. I will say that whatever direction they take it, I hope they consider keeping some of the odd stuff that made FSA unique- Non-hivemind bug races, playing up the "math and science" angle with the Sorylians (I remember seeing, way back before I got into FSA, someone had a fleet of lizards where every ship had a formula at the prow, as the ship's identifier. That stuck with me), big alliances with dramatic rivalries. While we need more info on things, I think   "show-not-tell" goes way longer than the effort you'd spend by telling does.

I really want to play again, and I hope some of the campy stuff stays- sometimes it makes for good drama. I think we all know that if we were being completely honest with ourselves, torpedoes and mass-drivers and combat from less than a few hundred miles away isn't terribly realistic to what we're expecting to exist by the time there are enough humans in space for space combat to have any real consideration. But ships slugging it out like they were the sci-fi equivalents to old naval vessels instead of something wildly new as they're likely to be is good fun, nice and dramatic. Come up with reasons the other stuff, the stuff hard sci-fi authors are likely to speculate on, doesn't really work, if you have to, but keep it light, make the game work and be fun and then explain what's happening, you know? While I'll concede that I'm not looking for science fantasy, I'm down for a much softer sci-fi. 

Hive I'd really not expect news for a long time, Dystopian Wars is first and there's no planned release for that until the latter half of this year; and that is assuming that all WC's plans go without any hitches (and if following KS model projects has taught me anything its that big releases often get delays). 

There is one fluff point I would like to see addressed. I dont think the Rense System Navy should have its culture built around Dindrenzi xenophobia. From what I gather, the direct purpose of the RSN is intelligence gathering, policing factions of the Zenian charter and deep strike operations that would otherwise be impossible using a larger fleet. In practical terms, the RSN handles what the Dindrenzi federation can't afford to commit forces to, and what local dindrenzi system forces can't handle on their own. 

The key words here are policing other factions of the zenian league. Are the Ba'Kash overstepping their bounds and targeting allied merchants? Chances are the RSN will be first on the scene. A joint task force with a covert ops mission? The RSN and the Relthoza were practically made to work together on this. Even the handling of a trade dispute that could get ugly between Kedorians and another outer reach power might be mediated by an RSN capital. 

To that end I think the RSN needs to represent another side of the same coin as Hawker Industries, if more by necessity than open diplomacy.  Spartan liked to comparenthe Zenian League to little more than a pirate charter, but the interactions between the Dindrenzi, Relthoza and Directorate in the beginning of the current timeline points to an alliance of similar strength to the kurak alliance, hampered by the attitudes of the outer reaches such as Kedorian elitism or Ba'Kash disregard for anything that is not also a warrior culture. To that end, the RSN is directly and intricately involved with all of these races as they move through and effect Dindrenzi territory. For this to make sense, I believe an RSN Officer needs to have the diplomatic ability of any StarFleet officer with the same cloak and dagger strategy of a Romulan, for example. I don't think its enough for them just to be an elite fighting force towards their enemies

On 4/12/2018 at 5:44 AM, Overread said:

Hive I'd really not expect news for a long time, Dystopian Wars is first and there's no planned release for that until the latter half of this year; and that is assuming that all WC's plans go without any hitches (and if following KS model projects has taught me anything its that big releases often get delays). 

While that's true, there was, in the very least, a pretty rapid turnaround into  "here are some questions we can answer about how the fluff is going down." Don't get me wrong, I'm not in here looking to come after Warcradle for not saying anything- merely hopeful that some tidbits had surfaced.

29 minutes ago, Warcradle Richard said:

We are talking about FSA, we do have it in the release schedule for next year, and to be fully supported for a long time after.  

You also might see a novel as one of the very first released in our Firestorm universe. 

That's beautiful. I'm interested in how your team will end up making Firestorm its own narratively. You can bet myself and probably others have been watching your WWE and DW model releases to speculate at what your sculptors could do with spaceships as well :lol:

On 4/12/2018 at 5:35 PM, Wolfgang Jannesen said:

There is one fluff point I would like to see addressed. I dont think the Rense System Navy should have its culture built around Dindrenzi xenophobia. 

To that end I think the RSN needs to represent another side of the same coin as Hawker Industries, if more by necessity than open diplomacy.  Spartan liked to compare the Zenian League to little more than a pirate charter, but the interactions between the Dindrenzi, Relthoza and Directorate in the beginning of the current timeline points to an alliance of similar strength to the kurak alliance, hampered by the attitudes of the outer reaches such as Kedorian elitism or Ba'Kash disregard for anything that is not also a warrior culture. To that end, the RSN is directly and intricately involved with all of these races as they move through and effect Dindrenzi territory. For this to make sense, I believe an RSN Officer needs to have the diplomatic ability of any StarFleet officer with the same cloak and dagger strategy of a Romulan, for example. I don't think its enough for them just to be an elite fighting force towards their enemies

Yeah, I immediately bristled at the idea of the Rense as Firestorm's version of Imperial Commissars... 

I just think they need to be represented as the absolute cream of the Dindrenzi navy - Their positioning in the Zenian Leage book, simply supports what Wolfgang says here - They either supplement the Dindrenzi Fleets like an elite troop choice, or; as Zenian Support fleets where they are far more likely to work with the allied races. 

I feel like the Starfleet  analogy is an excellent one - and is actually pretty unusual in sci-fi on the slightly darker grey side of the conflict...

On 4/15/2018 at 12:50 PM, Warcradle Richard said:

You also might see a novel as one of the very first released in our Firestorm universe. 

U wot m8. I'm all ears.

I'm a bit curious, though- do you have a plan to throw down a "here's what we're doing with the lore" video like you did with the Dystopian Age? I'm not asking like when or anything, just as a point of interest is that something you planned for, or something that came about because of fan response? 

...also, because I feel like asking the real important questions (see: really dumb ones) how do you feel about all the Space Cat-posting that's been going on in the FSA Admiral's League Facebook fan group? I mean, it's the closest thing to a Firestorm meme out there right now.

2 hours ago, murphy'slawofcombat said:

I think we need to add a Terran Dog to the mix  to appose that Dendrenzi Cat.      " Nuke the kitty" so say we all

Terrans already seem fond of keeping reptiles and fish as pets...

Well, anyone who didn't watch the livestream- not a whole lot came out of it. A couple of teaser-style incomplete concept art pieces, and I got a question answered about the big alliances, which it looks like might be a thing of yesteryear.

Edit: that makes it sound like I was disappointed, which is not the case. There are reasons we didn't see more, and it sounds like they want it to be fantastic grade-A stuff when it comes out, you know?