fracas

Thoughts regarding dystopian Age and fluff

We are all appreciative of Warcradle for resurrecting dystopian war and want them to thrive and be rewarded for their effort.  Our comments, criticism and suggestions are all toward their success as fluff, along with good rules, great models, and sound business practice are all critical to a game’s success.

The fluff should have some historical accuracy (if historical concept such as Prussia, Ottoman and Japan are used) and context applied to any game played ( a game between PLC v Russia, France v Italy).  The planned fluff are neither accurate (a political union of China and Japan for instance) nor contextual supportive (in the old fluff even though nominally allied, you can still play a game between PLC and Russia or Denmark and Prussia but with these factions merged, could you do so without relying on a military exercise context?).

to answer a previously posed question of why ultramarines would fight Cadians? Because each believes the other is tainted by chaos!  The 40k background provides a consistent context for this game ( this is one thing that 40k does very well).

3 hours ago, fracas said:

to answer a previously posed question of why ultramarines would fight Cadians? Because each believes the other is tainted by chaos!  The 40k background provides a consistent context for this game ( this is one thing that 40k does very well).

Ah “Chaos Did It!” The get out clause of every GW store manager dealing with inexplicable issues in games!

in that case: “The Dark Council did it!” 

Even though a lot of people don't like the "aliens did it" and/or "temporal interference" explanations for some things, I could easily see a couple of Antarctican scientists playing around with Vault technology, and creating a H.G. Wells-style time machine (for research purposes) only to have some naive individual "borrow" it, to stop Markov from joining the initial expedition (or some other "idealistic" reason) only to accidentally grandfather paradox himself in the process, with the resulting ripples changing the timeline to the "new" one, erasing the time machine, and getting thrown into an insane asylum (because everyone knows time travel is impossible).

5 hours ago, Warcradle Stuart said:

Ah “Chaos Did It!” The get out clause of every GW store manager dealing with inexplicable issues in games!

in that case: “The Dark Council did it!” 

Sneer if you like but I wish Warcradle the success with dystopian Age that GW has with 40k.

On 12/25/2017 at 8:20 AM, Warcradle Stuart said:

It's worth mentioning that it is our intention for the Beta to be public. So all of you are able to be beta testers if you want. 

I really like the idea of open beta.  Thank you.  Do you plan on doing open beta for Armored clash and Wild west exodus as well?  I mean when you get to that point.

3 minutes ago, Jsiegel1983 said:

I really like the idea of open beta.  Thank you.  Do you plan on doing open beta for Armored clash and Wild west exodus as well?  I mean when you get to that point.

Wild West Exodus, has already had a beta. The product has been released. But it is our policy to have open beta for all games we produce.

1 hour ago, Warcradle Richard said:

Wild West Exodus, has already had a beta. The product has been released. But it is our policy to have open beta for all games we produce.

Thanks.  Is that the 1.4 edition of Wild west exodus listed on the download section of your Wild west exodus website?

Are the background stories behind Dystopian wars and Wild west exodus going to be made into one overall story or will they be seperate backgrounds?  The reason I ask is because I read most of what is in the rulebook for Wild west exodus amd it doesnt seem to fit at all in Dystopian wars.  There not even the same genre.  The only factions that seem to cary over are The Crown, The Union and The Enlightened.   Everything else seems to be heavily steeped in aliens and magic.  I saw that the Invaders are going away so why introduce new alien races into Dystopian wars?

50 minutes ago, Jsiegel1983 said:

Are the background stories behind Dystopian wars and Wild west exodus going to be made into one overall story or will they be seperate backgrounds?  The reason I ask is because I read most of what is in the rulebook for Wild west exodus amd it doesnt seem to fit at all in Dystopian wars.  There not even the same genre.  The only factions that seem to cary over are The Crown, The Union and The Enlightened.   Everything else seems to be heavily steeped in aliens and magic.  I saw that the Invaders are going away so why introduce new alien races into Dystopian wars?

Do you have a link for that online?  I have been reading the guide on the webstore and kept being told it is out of date, and the stuff I read there gave me that same impression.

The web store descriptions should be in line with second edition. 

There will be an update to the background for Wild West Exodus to bring elements in line with the Dystopian Age shared universe too. That said WWX exists in a small corner of the Dystopian Age and much of its narrative had no bearing on the wider world. 

Afterall, in the Imperial Prussian Chancellory, little regard is given to a few dozen creatures that defy categorisation or local criminals out in the frontier of the Union.

Of course when you are living in the Wild West such things are of paramount importance to your survival and massed land battles between Prussians and Italians are little more than a footnote in a newspaper (assuming you can even read our care to!)

1 hour ago, RuleBritannia said:

Do you have a link for that online?  I have been reading the guide on the webstore and kept being told it is out of date, and the stuff I read there gave me that same impression.

I was reading the downloadable rulebook for version 1.04 of second edition from the wild west exodus website.  

Thanks for the clarification.  I read the fluff in the rulebook since I am unfamiliar with wild west exodus.  

Off topic, I did get my personalized dystopian wars 2.5 rulebook in the mail box today.  Thank you very much.  I know you didn't have to do that and I appreciate that you did it anyways.

22 hours ago, Jsiegel1983 said:

Off topic, I did get my personalized dystopian wars 2.5 rulebook in the mail box today.  Thank you very much.  I know you didn't have to do that and I appreciate that you did it anyways.

I got mine today. Big thank you to Warcradle.