Skyhawk

Questions for the Lizards

I am looking at maybe getting some Sorylians. I am curious as to what ships and strategies people use, and was wondering if anyone could give a potential new lizard advice.

Thanks!

P.S. My primary opponent uses Dindrenzi. So tactics against the Dindrenzi would be great.

On 23.8.2017 at 3:34 PM, Skyhawk said:

I am looking at maybe getting some Sorylians. I am curious as to what ships and strategies people use, and was wondering if anyone could give a potential new lizard advice.

Thanks!

P.S. My primary opponent uses Dindrenzi. So tactics against the Dindrenzi would be great.

Take as many cruisers as you can. Shunt them in behind the enemy. Have fun. :)

Are there any other viable strategies?

Dindrenzi battleships are difficult to crit. If you want to double crit them, roll no less than 18-20 dice (AD) and from behind otherwise is better to try to use both broadsides going for a crit. If you go behind them, wacht out for mines!

I recommend not to link when shooting at cruisers. Untounched sorylian cruisers have plenty of firepower on their own (8 AD is fine against a cruiser). howeveer you will need the "drives to max" card if not shunting them to reach the enemy cruisers

I got good resutls when shunting a battleship on turn 2 (thanks to the special admiral ability) while the rest of the fleet advances. Howwever I used this tactic against directorate mostly, never against dindrenzi. A battleship shunted near the enemy is difficult to remove.

More or less Sorylian work like terrans. except they dont have shieldsthat  good , but they have speed and the small ships (frigates with packhunter) are very good. always try to purchase weapon shielding for your battleship

If you include veydreth try to get some corvettes. they are very good, specially near gas clouds (place mines moving around ;) )

Don't even bother to try to Crit a Dindrenzi ship - it's pretty much pointless. However, as Dindrenzi have no shields and perfectly average DR values, they are vulnerable to piecemeal degradation. Rather than link fire to go for a crit, aim for multiple single DR shots.You don't get a crit effect, but 2HP loss from 2 x 1HP damage shots degrades the ship exactly as much as a crit in terms of PD, AD etc. 

So tactics of Sorylians with Dindrenzi are run large numbers of full-strength squadrons of mediums and smalls, and try to flank at full speed, whilst taking a lot of shots aiming to breach DR...when you arrive, board whatever remains!

My standard tactic is to take some rail gun armed mediums as a distraction, along with lots (and lots)  of mediums & smalls.

Finding that their favorite range band & firing lanes suddenly also suits the other player seems to cause most din players a bit of pain and most will try to take them out. 

Your horde of mediums & smalls can then rush the flanks. Shunt in a squadron or two in the same area to add to the confusion and their deployment zone turns into a knife fight that suits your ships much better than theirs.

A few broadsides will cause them some pain just before you turn the thermostat up and send in the boarding torpedoes full of big angry lizards. 

First fleet for the Soryl is generally pretty easy. Squadron of frigates or corvettes, squadron of regular cruisers, then either a battleship or a carrier for your T1 option.

Your cruisers are the workhorse here with your t1 usually being the distraction for delivering the rest of the fleet.

7 hours ago, Skyhawk said:

Thanks! Is the dreadnought any good?

Naahhh. I used it 2 or 3 times in a 1000Point game, but ist just a larger battletship. It is to slow to bring the broadsides to the enemy and it has no secondary weapons. You will have to pay a massive amount of points just for defense.

I used it in a tournament, 1000Points, in a list for Escalating Engagement, when you don't miss it so much. <_<