Wraithbrood

What the Nikel

I was looking at getting some ships o dont have and looking at the stats when I saw the "heavy" frigate

30 points each same as the novgorod. 

1 squad of novogords puts out 2x10ad at RB2

With 1 more DR you get redoubtable on a 2hp ship with a cr of 5. But you only put out 1x15 ad at rb2.

Does anyone run the nikel over the novogod?

If so why and how did it perform?

7 minutes ago, Wraithbrood said:

I was looking at getting some ships o dont have and looking at the stats when I saw the "heavy" frigate

30 points each same as the novgorod. 

1 squad of novogords puts out 2x10ad at RB2

With 1 more DR you get redoubtable on a 2hp ship with a cr of 5. But you only put out 1x15 ad at rb2.

Does anyone run the nikel over the novogod?

If so why and how did it perform?

I own one squad of 4. Their mortar batteries have hunter(submerged), are more powerful than those on the Novgorod (yes, I know they don't have the guns).

They are best used as a "second line" behind, or between, other models.

Wraithbrood,

I've been running a Russian fleet since Spartan first brought out the initial Russian models - back then, no Nikels, but the Novgorods were in the "first box".

And such a useful little model, that I got round to painting 30 of them - yes, we have run some very big battles.  But that was when they were only 25 points each.

Then we had the big "re-tune" and Novgorods went up 5 points (yes, I know it isn't much - but multiplied x times?) to cost the same as the Nikels - and the Novgorods stayed in my boxes for a very long time.  

You can make the arguements both ways for 2 x 10AD attacks versus 1 x 15AD, but the Nikel has that additional Ap (and 12 boarders versus 8 is a far better proposition) plus the Nikel has an extra AA AND 2 extra CC.  So with the extra points (increased DR, redoubatable and Hunter submerged), there isn't any question as far as I personally am concerned.

Always the Nikel.

2 hours ago, NaH2PO4aq said:

I prefer the Nikel over the Novgorod.

You can get 1x15 ad or 2x9 at RB2 vs the 2x10 of the Novgorod. Also they have an additional DR and more AP.

The novgorod breaks down to 2x10 4x6 or 8x4