Sign in to follow this  
FSAHoops

First game of 2.5

So I finally sat down yesterday (Saturday 5th) and got my first and second game of 2.5! I noticed a few things with my games.

1. The Lord Hood is a brilliant lil boat. I need a second without any doubt! It very quickly gets put on the "kill list" so I needed to be smart.

2. The Ruler has a lot of guns, which I liked, it just isn't very tough. With a DR/CR of 6/10 it got plinked away to combat ineffective within 2 turns, too easily. Granted this was against CoA with energy turrets, but I feel it would be much better at 7/10. (@Spartan Mike one for you there)

3. The Vengeance has a huge damage output. 14 AD at RB2 is phenomenal. However all it takes is chaos & disarray and you're utterly combat USELESS. No other weapons and all it takes is one result to turn a 150 point sub into so many tonnes of floating scrap (I was also unlucky enough to get an engine 1/2 too). Also 6/8 was rather squishy, 7/9 would be better especially seeing as it has no shields.

4. The Regent is a brilliant carrier. The front guns are brilliant, but the turret mounted torps are kinda wasted as they never got used once. Pulse is also a bit pants as so few nations have mines. I'd rather pay another 10 or so base points for a useful gene.

in general I know I'm still learning with the KoB, but they are a fun, different nation to the FSA I'm used to. Have to think about moves a lot more with the Brits thanks to the fixed channels.

Re point 3:

3) The other weapon of the Vengeance is its IR 10 :D 6/8 is pretty good, considering enemy has to halve the AD of each gun (barring Torps) AND hitting on 5+ (or 6+), while the sub can utilize its target painter to strike back at better odds. 

Firing at targets underwater is considered Partially Blocked, hence the half AD, this is circumvented by weapons with the Sub-Killer MAR, which allows firing at full AD (but still incur the 5+/6+ To Hit penalty) 

On 6/08/2017 at 8:01 PM, FSAHoops said:

4. The Regent is a brilliant carrier. The front guns are brilliant, but the turret mounted torps are kinda wasted as they never got used once. Pulse is also a bit pants as so few nations have mines. I'd rather pay another 10 or so base points for a useful gene.

The torp turret is for later in the game once the ship has taken too much damage to do anything else. If you are a lucky person and already have the kickstarter med carriers you can attach one to the Regent; they also have a torp turret and can help the Regent with the carrier points.
I always buy the shield for the regent, but the pulse can be useful if you have something (eagle, hawks,Illustrious) drop mines near a group of ships then pulse the mine to blow the ships up (on a side note also funny to just make linked mines blow up in the end phase since ours are sentient and blow up if you try and move them, i dont think they have changed that from 2.0)

If you liked those ones here here is another one to do with mines (it is a little rude to do though) - if they have prized one of your ships and it is pretty damaged but you dont have the men to deprized it, drop mines in front of it and when it drifts kaboom.