FurionMoneygrabber

New player here. Need the lowdown on the russkies

The Prussians are a good boarding faction their special weapons strip crew off enemy ships and their Tesla Generators help them close distances.  Their generator options and abilities mean they have some tricks up their sleeve to allow for surprising game play.

Russians tend to have some of the highest crew values in the game but they are all conscripted so they only hit on 5+.  What they do best is mid to close range gunnery with little in the way of fancy tricks.  They have massive guns and thick armor but tend to be one of the slower factions in the game.  An excellent move forward and shoot force that their opponents have to think around and be tricksy to fight.

The Brits I do not know as much about due to not having an opponent play them in a long time.  Not because they are bad, they have redoubtable turrets and guardian shields everywhere, but because he lost interest in tabletop gaming.

Russians move like an iceberg/brick, hit like a boulder/brick, and are as solid as a mountain/brick.  They have some crafty tricks, but let's be honest, they are simple like brick.  As a former Russian player once said: "Get me closer.  I want to hit him with my sword."

Having been on the receiving end of the Russians on more occasions than I can care to count. I can tell you a few things.

1. They have quite a few solid dependable units. Tough as old boots the Russians!

2. Your opponents will rue the day you meantion "oh, yer, I've got ablative armour". It's a complete pain in the arse.

3. They are as subtle as a house brick. You find the biggest ship you have and you park it in your opponents face. Then watch them cry when they realise you care nothing for this "boarding" rubbish and you're just going to hit them repeatedly with this house brick.

Thats about it! They are fun to play with, so I've been told... normally said by my mate Dan, whilst grinning as he's ramming a Khatanga heavy battleship into my face...

FSAHoops,

Like your comments above - and I'm a Russian player!  Yup, agree with all the points, just want to add a new one - that I haven't tried yet.

It's the "new" Russian iceberg mines - several of the Russian larges and dreadnought now get them.  While I (and my buddies) haven't had a game with them yet (all still awaiting our personalised rulebooks, and can't run a game from the softcopy!!) I am looking forward to pumping out some 11 and 12 AD mines - and then being able to move them! - while my mates are not very enthused by the idea at all.

And just to finish off for FurionMoneygrabber, I also have a very large Brit fleet (love em) and 2 of my regular opponents have Prussians.  Nothing wrong with them either.  What I like about D Wars is the good, overall balance of ALL the fleets - and if anyone says otherwise - they're probably playing against better opponents!

Just buy a fleet that you can love - even when it loses.

And enjoy the hobby - it's great.