Sign in to follow this  
DortmundOutpost

I want to get into PF

Hello there,

Im looking forward to get into PF in the near future. 

It just looks the best game from SG. 

Unfortunately im reading a lot of negative things considering support and life status of the game. 

Is it worth buying? Will there be support? 

My gamer heart wants it. But i dont want to play a dead game. 

Are the rules on the website the 2.0 version or is it yet to be released?

Will there be a book of 2.0 rules?

Thank you!

The posted rules are 1.0; 2.0 is coming.

if you like the 1.0 rules and the models, then get into it now. Players are far and few in between so start two factions.

two cores, a heavy, and a recon each would do nicely.

Hi there - and welcome to the Firestorm universe. 

The best advice i can give you about the game is to simply get into it - in many respects, the life of the game is more up to how often you can find an opponent rather than the releases the company makes - I mean, the rules for Chess haven't been updated for a couple of hundred years, but that's still the most popular war game in the world.  PF as it exists is entirely playable - is it perfectly optimised? Of course not, but then what war game is? Not even Chess or Go are perfect.

With regards to the future of the game, it's true that the v2 rules will be released eventually, but the thing about Spartan is that they don't do revisions, but rather refinements of the previous rule set. If you get started with the v1 rules, is say there's a better than even chance you'll be able to switch to the v2 rules with few issues.

So, I'd say, find a club, find some interested players, and get into it!

Hello DortmundOutpost,

Nice to hear from you. Here is an update on Planetfall:

• Current rules download are the first edition.
  • You have access to a whole batch of cool true scale 10mm models.
  • New rules are in development and 2.0 will be made available as a download for beta test as soon as we can. These will be an improvement in several areas, most notably force building.
  • Spartan has not given then game enough support and is therefore working to improve this.
  • The game is far from dead, but I want to be clear with you that we do indeed need to improve support moving forward for our players.

if you have any further queries you can always email me at neil@spartangames.co.uk

I hope to see you playing the game in the future.

All the best,

Neil

The V1.0 is played using helixes. The 2 player starter provides a core helix for the Aquans and a core helix for the Directorate. A core helix is the minimum the game can with so these work great for introductory games. Once you get a feel for it you will be able to expand via other helixes which, essentially, attach to the core helix but allow for you to lean towards a particular playstyle. In short, yes, the 2 player set provides a complete army to play with but it is the minimum size army that you can field so you will like grow from their!

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the game!

Think of it this way

a "battalion" can be built with 1-2 core sets and up to 6 helixes/company

buying 2 cores give you the option of building one or two battalions 

if if you can afford it, start now that way you have painted models to start playing when 2.0 comes

Ok, so far only Dystopian player here, but lets say I can have for Terrans these 5 helixes. Have not even start to read rules but I like models. How many points these helixes are in 1.0? Approx. Is it a good starting force? I know that 2.0 is comming but I would like to have force to test the rules when they are out in beta version :-)

1x Leviathan helix
2x core helix
1x Interceptor helix
1x assult helix

I hearded the new helix system will not force you to use mandatory units like the old system. I belive  something like this :

Core helix

1-heavy Squadron (you can put here a Vidar Heavy Tank Squadron or a Tyr heavy tank Squadron , or some other Heavy Squadron, like the robots).

2-med squadrons (select between med squadrons)

2-lights squadrons (select light squadron)

I suppose there will be limitations to the system to avoid heavy imbalances.

Hi Sleeping_Squirrel,

Welcome to the Planetfall Galaxy..........what DW forces do you play?

It is indeed true that Helix formations will be made more flexible moving forwards, and much of that will come from variable choices in the models which fill your Small, Medium and Large model categories. Your list of helixes is a fun one: 1x Leviathan helix, 2x core helix, 1x Interceptor helix and 1x assult helix. That would get you plenty of models that is for certain.

It will play in V1.0 and V2.0, so you are safe there. You could also remove a core helix for now. :)

Any questions just ask: neil@spartangames.co.uk

Happy to chat,

Neil

PS: Which force is taking your fancy?

Hi Neil,

lets say I have good collection of KOBs naval and aerial models (I can play 1500 point game fielding only Hawks, anyone interested? :-) ) and huge joint canadian/british armoured force (I liked Armoured Clash). Other fleets I have are smaller, you know, around 2500 points here or there.

I like Terran models, I was talking about Terran helixes which are available localy right now.

I will send you an email concerning all SG related things soon.

It is very good to see you around here again!

i might suggest buying into 2 factions, which ever you choose/looks cool etc., and give the game a go.  with 2 factions you can demo or have ready made forces for folks to try and be able to always get a game.  looks like things have turned a corner so now would be a good time to 'planetfall'.;)

33 minutes ago, alamo said:

i might suggest buying into 2 factions, which ever you choose/looks cool etc., and give the game a go.  with 2 factions you can demo or have ready made forces for folks to try and be able to always get a game.  looks like things have turned a corner so now would be a good time to 'planetfall'.;)

I would agree with this approach - you can download the current rulebook for free, and, given the impression of how "dead" this game is, you can probably find models pretty cheap on eBay or a Facebook sell page - even if they are painted, that nothing that a decent afternoon's work can't fix. 

I haven't tried planetfall yet (I want build up my space fleet first). But I know that there are alot of used armada ships on ebay right now, and I fully intend to take advantage of the deals. More Terrans for me! Mwah hahahahaha!:D