S..Mike

Greetings

@Kurgan  Cloaks can be turned on/off.  I don't play PF, so I can't compare there.  Cyber details coming in a future post.

@shinzuer By default, red dice are the standard for all ships.  Base sizes are the same.  I'll post about terrain/space too.  As for Veydreth torpedoes, they get stronger at longer ranges.  There is a new class of SRS, Heavy Bombers, Heavy Interceptors, etc.  This is where the bigger punch comes from.  More on that to come.

On 29/7/2017 at 10:12 AM, Venter said:

The removal of the possibility to capture enemy ships was a blow for me, since I'm beginning (again) with the Directorate, and I loved the possibility to acquire enemy assets.

Will Directorate still be a boarding capability faction? How will the "nastiness" of the faction be translated in 3.0?

Erhm... maybe it's ahead of time? :)

And as I've discussed locally if we can't have 3.0 before the kick starter that will suck any interest right out .

If I can get the 3.0 rules badger a couple of people into playing and they work I can do my best to get the local scene up, without something in hand I can't 

I too, as a Directorate player miss the boarding captures, and also would hate to see Cyber become meh - interesting on the SRS token changes all in all lots of interesting stuff happening and looking forward to popping the hood then taking it all out for a spin 

On 28/07/2017 at 8:44 PM, Spartan_FA_Mike said:

Relthoza.  Corrosive on more weapons.  Biohazard too.  Don't get any on you, it'll hurt.  Average boarding strength, but better able to defend against boarders.  We have a new mechanic to go with RED-6 dice.  BLUE-6 dice do not explode, but a '6' does count as 2 successes.  Any weapons firing at (or firing from) a Cloaked ship uses the BLUE-6 mechanic.  I'll look up a before/after for the them as well.

I should hope that this means Relthoza are getting a durability boost to deal with the fact that suddenly everyone else's AD pool will, for all intents and purposes, double with this change to cloak?

Relthoza base stats are so low on many of their ships that they get crit through cloaks anyway.  With AD effectiveness going down roughly 12% in effectiveness versus cloaks instead of halved, they need something big to make up for it.  Relthoza in PF have some of the highest damage levels in the game with their version of cloak (which matches this proposal); I'd assume they'll have to follow suit in FA.

Just now, Flamebeast said:

Also squad sizes bigger than 3

So do plenty of other factions.

OSO cruisers come in sets of 4 with shields. Ryushi too. Aquans. Oroshan also 4 with shields. Works Raptor 4s with Stealth and Difficult Target. Tarakians with shields and Xelocians with 2 shields.

Just now, Xystophoroi said:

So do plenty of other factions.

OSO cruisers come in sets of 4 with shields. Ryushi too. Aquans. Oroshan also 4 with shields. Works Raptor 4s with Stealth and Difficult Target. Tarakians with shields and Xelocians with 2 shields.

Oh sure, Sorylians have had the short of almost every stick for a long time. But your cruisers are still better for the points than ours, by some distance :P 

7 hours ago, Xystophoroi said:

All you people with your cloaks and shields.

All my Sorrylizards have is a big engine!

Yeah, better speed is a plus.

6 hours ago, Flamebeast said:

Also squad sizes bigger than 3

They also have Encased Weapons on many of their heavier weapons.  Maybe a few other surprises.  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Spartan_FA_Mike said:

Yeah, better speed is a plus.

They also have Encased Weapons on many of their heavier weapons.  Maybe a few other surprises.  :ph34r:

Hmmmm, now that's a unique selling point.

I remember some discussion around Sorylians picking up Retractable Plating Port/Star, did that ever get to playtest?

6 hours ago, Xystophoroi said:

Hmmmm, now that's a unique selling point.

I remember some discussion around Sorylians picking up Retractable Plating Port/Star, did that ever get to playtest?

The Encased was an easier option.  Being always on, it didn't need a marker to track on the game board.  Helped more with the survival that the Sorylians need to be able to engage properly.

1 minute ago, Spartan_FA_Mike said:

The Encased was an easier option.  Being always on, it didn't need a marker to track on the game board.  Helped more with the survival that the Sorylians need to be able to engage properly.

Yeah fair enough, less clutter.

I know from one example you gave the Ba'Kash frigates had it, does that bode well for Sorylian Cruisers having it too?

Thanks for replying.

Thanks Mike for being here. Don't get dissuaded by negative comments, me included. We are just a bunch of ungrateful bastards each wanting from FSA something else! Plus a lot of us have a pretty bad experience with some SG staff....

BTW do you expect us to test the leaked rules? If so, it would be great to post it all somewhere in one document and update that one.

Hopefully I'm helping more than less.  Feels like some of the built-up pressure of non-communication has calmed down, so that's good.

I'm checking in to see when we can release a more comprehensive pdf.  I still have some outstanding questions to answer and clarify.

But until then, yes, go ahead and test what you can.   I'm working on a conversion document, but I'm not there yet.  I know you guys don't have the ship stats yet, but you can get decently close by using the V2 rules, at least as a start.

In PF cloaking is always on and there is no penalty for having it. Relthoza in PF have pretty solid armor so cloaking removing exploding dice most of the time only helps once in a blue moon. Most of the time it is useless. 

If FA gets a on/off version you will see player pretty much leave it on only when they are not shooting or maybe leave it on more for larger ships. Also you can expect some Relthoza players ( not I )to rage quit, shelve them, etc. if DR/CR are not increased across the board to make up for the fact that cloaking does very little now.

The other thing was at least in PF cloaking is always on and you don't have to waste time slowing down the game with markers and deciding to cloak or not. Here it seems to be the worst of both worlds. It does not do much and slows down the game.

I hope they don't bring this version of cloaking to PF.