CDR_G

Robot Boarding under 2.5 Boarding rules

I don't think the specifics of Robot boarding have changed, but boarding groups are now one and anti-boarding fire and CBQ are single attacks.

So, having never actually seen Robot boarding in 2.5, how are hits distributed among multiple attacking robots of one squadron? I conclude attacking robots from the same squadron combine AP in CBQ.  Say three John Henrys attacking a single large.

Anti-boarding fire  is 4- red 6 but MARS do apply, (Hunter, shields, Rugged Construction, Retardent armor).  From what I can figure, Anti-boarding AA, which is an auxiliary gunnery attack, is affected by height level as well.

However, I presume that boarding CBQ AD use 4- red 6 at all height levels--modified by crew type, but not MARs? So 12 AD using 4-red 6 for three (undamaged) John Henrys.

We could really use a graphic example of this. 

Page 154 of the new rulebook has a graphic example, in it the defending target is attacked by 3 robots in a squadron.  The target directs all it's AA at 1 bot, destroying it before it can assault.  I suppose you COULD split your AA defensive fire but unless you have a bucket o dice thanks to attached smalls, CAPs etc, it would seem too ineffective not to target just 1 bot.

(Moral of the story seems to be shoot the bots up before they close on you or it's gonna hurt!)

EDIT- looking at all the current ORBATS, that tactic is less effective in your example than it normally would be. The John Henrys are the only medium bots that aren't 1-2!  (until we see the STO that is)  Against all the Empire bots taking out 1 would be effective- literally halving the AP hitting you.

I'd say a smart tactic now facing FSA with Henry units is to make sure you damage or destroy at least 1 before they can assault you?

On 7/27/2017 at 11:16 AM, Benchpresser said:

EDIT- looking at all the current ORBATS, that tactic is less effective in your example than it normally would be. The John Henrys are the only medium bots that aren't 1-2!  (until we see the STO that is)  Against all the Empire bots taking out 1 would be effective- literally halving the AP hitting you.

I'd say a smart tactic now facing FSA with Henry units is to make sure you damage or destroy at least 1 before they can assault you?

Excellent catch. The John Henrys do seem to be unique as the only Squadron of up to 3 FLYING robots, though I haven't scoured the ORBATS.

There are diving robot squadrons so the question of anti-boarding fire  to-hit numbers being affected by height levels differences remains. Since the rules for indiscriminate attacks do not address height levels, nor could I find it in the boarding rules, it is not clear to me if they do apply. (note I understand that a possible analogous situation, concentrated bombing, is affected, but is area bombardment is not).  The anti-boarding paragraph states that MARs apply but does not address height levels. It states that anti-boarding fire uses 4-6. So apply the general rule that is applied when not negated, or use the specific rule in the boarding section. I will go with 4-6 until told otherwise But I am happy to be shown otherwise.

Lastly the example of Aquatic assault mention going between surface and diving- both directions, but not diving to diving. Like CC which allows by omission 8" range CC interception attacks between submerged submarines, I can only assume it is allowed..