Hive

So, uh... Fighter combat.

Core box comes with Dindrenzi and Terrans but the cards also show Sorylians, Directorate etc.

How will these extra factions be released for the game?

Do I have to buy the base game to get the rules, tokens, cards, board, etc. and buy Sory/Dir/etc. that I do care about?

52 minutes ago, Spartan Neil said:

Hive,

Your comment on Taskforce is duly noted. The contents was a gaff, with the Frigates if I recall. that is true.

Neil

The Frigates you eventually fixed, though, and brought up to the right size pre-launch. The Cruisers were a bigger issue- with two in a box for the two-player boxes, you needed three boxes to end up with full squads, and then had waaaaay too many Frigates from those boxes. Even though the option to use a pair of the mediums as accompaniments exists for most factions, I believe that most players would rather have the full squad size for the sake of using them as a squad. You could have done half-squads for the 2 player boxes if the Cruisers were squad size 4 instead of 3, but 3 is a bit hard to cut in half, haha. As it was, it was a pain for players to get squads of the right size. I bought 3 Sory Vs Relth boxes at launch just to get the rules pamphlet and still have even squad sizes, ended up winning another box at NoVa, and have more Light Frigates than I can reasonably imagine a use for.

I'm sad to hear the fighters won't be compatible, but glad to hear you've got an eye out for that moving forward. I would also like to echo, though, that renders with no set date is probably not a good idea. I don't think you should show off renders until you have at the very least a final resin mock-up- we've seen before that plans can change with renders, leaving us with pictures and ideas and little else. I think that's part of the problem of people saying there's no support- there's a sense that even if you show something off, it's not necessarily going to happen. Be a little more careful about when the renders hit the public relative to when the kits are available, and you'll easily turn that around. I would hold onto that PF media until you're absolutely certain they'll hit shelves. I know a million different things can come up that can change plans- I wouldn't even mention that they'll be timed with the new rules, because that's two things you've tied together in people's minds and if one hits a snag that puts you in a bad situation for both- the only time I would ever promise things in tandem is if they're starter sets tied to new rules, a single faction getting fleshed out in multiple boxes, or multiple factions getting new toys of a similar variety. (Core 6 all get a new Heavy Destroyer at the same time, as an example. I guess the RSN and Hawker being released in tandem works, too.)

1 hour ago, Spartan Neil said:

with the  Pathogen sporting the new flight stands. But the components are capable of being retro-fitted to existing bases.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

You had me at Pathogen....

Thank you, Neil! As many others have stated already, it is very good to hear from you and to get some details. Regardless of the content of your post, I find that kind of communication very positive and I hope that Spartan Games will keep up regular updates like those (which do not necessarily have to be as expansive). That being said, I'd like to respond to one of your remarks:

3 hours ago, Spartan Neil said:

Last year saw me change the development of the games. With FA I had took my eye off the development side of the game, allowing it to be done externally and this just didn't work.

In my opinion, Firestorm Armada 2.0 is the most well-written rulebook that Spartan Games has produced to this date. It is almost free of mistakes, the rules are unambiguous, and it's well-structured. Sure, the game can be really slow, and I hope that 3.0 deals with that in a satisfactory way, but it is a very good example regarding the before-mentioned points.

Great thread. 

With regard to sneak peek model pics - if you guys do concept art for them before rendering, I think a blog post every 2 weeks or even 4 with a couple bits of art for whatever you guys are working on in-house would go down very well indeed.

Hi Xystophoroi,

Thanks for the post. You are right in that the initial two player set is Terran vs Dindrenzi models, but the game supports all six races.

The Sorylians and Directorate will be available as their own Packs and these packs will deliver their fighters, flight stands and decks of cards. A copy of the rules will also be in the pack. So it allows for easy integration into the game. The Game Zone will also be available as a separate purchase, both for folk looking to expand their game area, and for players like yourself who want to play the fighters they like/play the most.

We have some update emails and blogs going out this week, along with updates to our retail sales partners.

Hope that helps. Any queries drop me an email at neil@spartangames.co.uk and I will endeavour to answer.

Best,
Neil

I think both Taskforce and Fleet Action were a great idea. They are easier to learn with less book keeping, however I think they are not fast enough imho they should be streamlined even further. I realise it means twice more work for SG regarding playtesting and ORBATS. Why not asking help from the community? Why not creating Rule Comittees to help playtesting?

Hi Epix,

There was a lot of chats our end about how far we cut the rules in terms of ease of play. Some felt we hadn't simplified enough and others felt we had gone too far. But that makes it fun at times having that interaction. :)

But happy to hear you liked them. The rules committee is an interesting idea, although we tend to use our betas for that. However, I wonder if we could look at that idea as a way of improving communications. Worth chewing over some more, and even if I can't make it happen, appreciate the time to post the idea..

All the best,
Neil

10 hours ago, Spartan Neil said:

We get asked a lot for products which generate aa simple entry into our game worlds. After GenCon 2 years ago we created Taskforce and Fleet Action to try and assist in generating a simpler entry point to FA and DW. As to whether they worked, they proved popular in some areas, but were perhaps not the most perfect gateway into our worlds

First off, thank you  for communicating to your community of Customers. 

I have so many things to ask and so many things to say, but I worry they will get lost in the noise. 

So I will ask, Is Taskforce going to be supported?

I will say, If Taskforce had been supported upon release, with a clear purpose, it might have filled the role of an introductory game. 

Finally, you talk of Massive Changes, Massive Releases, Massive amounts of work. Instead of Massive Stuff every couple of years, try a little bit, often. 

I am off now too, I have more I could say, but I have a Wife too. They always think we need more to do. 

Hi WestAustralian,

I'll try to answer without rambling on:

We have decided to not include Taskforce in the 3.0 rulebook which means it will be rolled out, along with updated stats, as new downloads. We have some amends to the rules to clarify a few things and improve the gameplay. As I type this I don't know when those downloads will go online, but I will check it when I am in the office and message you.

I did use the word massive a lot :) With 3.0 comes a number of changes and I see our work was re-seating the bedrock of the Firestorm Galaxy. So apologies for my overuse of the Massive word, and once we get FA bedded in again we need to embrace more of a quarterly update the game. Also, please remember this is a rule book replacement which comes over 3 years after it was released, as in version 2.0.

All the best,

Neil

Hi Bessemer,

Thanks for your post. I am very much on the mend, thank you. I had a tough 2016 with my health - anyone who met me at GenCon saw me trying to read after I lost my eyesight in my right eye - but this year in April I almost outdid myself when I got rushed into hospital. But the marvellous NHS staff saved my bacon, and since coming out of intensive care they have worked wonders on getting me fit and well. Which is just as well - I have a lot of work to do.

All the best,
Neil

Champion Efforts @Spartan Neil. I assume you have a Caffine IV drip in at this point. I am sure the community as a whole appreciate your input and efforts. 

I would be sad to see Taskforce fade out, I believe its potential is greater than its flaws... (I am looking at you damage table) 

I look forward to seeing what Massive brings, have you got a timeline for releases? :)

also Pictures without stats will always be appreciated by the community. I would personally twist your arm for a preview of Work in progress Works Raptor :)

Quarterly Updates to 3.0 would be a dream come true

WA

Niel I missed (or glossed over too fast) your health mentions; very sorry to hear that you've had a bad year, but glad to hear that you're on the mend and back in action (even if this does mean that you now have to clean scout huts ;)) 

Hi Overread,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a scout leader here in the UK and it is my relaxation time in a week. I've got scouts from Portugal coming to visit tomorrow, 34 of them, so had to make sure the scout hut was nice for them. I was an expert with a scrubbing brush today!

The health stuff was interesting, and there is nothing like a bout of time in intensive care to focus your mind. But definitely on the mend now and just stoked to make up on lost time.

All the best,
Neil

Hi @Spartan Neil,

I just wanted to thank you to take the effort and quell the rebellious mood of the forum folk :)

I'm really grateful for all the background information you have shared with us. It's so much better for everyone to know the reason behind the decisions you guys make, so even if someone doesn't like the results, he/she can see why they were made!

I hope this late hour community wasn't taking it's toll on your health, and you'll still have a good time with the scouts!

On the topic:

I have only one suggestion (as the people before me have said most of the things I wanted to), namely we would really appreciate it if you could give a heads up to us if something changes about the massive amounts of information regarding the future of things mentioned here (or at other places like blog posts, newsletters, etc.). The reason of this is (as others have stated before me) all of the official communication from Spartan Games is taken quite literally here, and if something that was hoped to happen but for one reason or an other doesn't come to pass, is remembered here, and embitters the mood, creating vicious circles.

Would you  like me to collect the relevant information I was referring to in bulletpoints and send it to you?

I'll echo that - this kind of communication 

The board game announcement did not go down well locally - I'm pretty much  the FSA cheerleader, I got a little burned locally when all the promised dates weren't met for FSA and PF - zero interest and in fact negative response as again more of a 'why waste time on this when FSA/PF is dying' 

I'm trying to be more low key, using the last blog posts 'key points' as a kinda reminder it's coming and that it seems to be adressing some of our key points

FYI those key points, starting with the key  

Right now anything much over 800 - 1000 points takes 3 hours + to play 

Anything less then about 1500 doesn't really give the 'depth' of a good game and allows you to take more of a mix of troops - and a 1500 point game rarely gets finished, leaving us in a void, too few points and the game feels a little light and lacking much diversity, too many and it's unplayable in the time  - we rather break out something like 40k or warmahoards which play at a good level in this 3 hour window - if FSA allowed this and played smooth, so people can bring 'all the toys' and have a good game, I can reinterest people locally 

T1 being keystones especially at 1000 or less, we've found if you bring 2 T1s and the otherguy doesn't then it's likely game over - or if your T1 takes too many early hits, it can be game over, as they're the only ones capable of hurting his T1 reliably often at this point

Anything that really relies on multiple guns combining in get seriously hurt once a few hits land - double degradation kills whole ships

ART locally feel dirty - On a crit and with a few good dice rolls they can suck 9 crew out of airlock with one affect - they regularly get 3 or 4, early on before interceptors are out a good hit on a T1 changes the game as much as a double crit+, maybe a local issue - in general crew loss being so easy to gut ships, and some factions played a certain way can exploit it, again it may be how I run directorate locally but it became a negative play experience when I'd run 2 drone squads, heavy cruisers and a boarding focused anarchist + others to flavour and run rings around things 

Torpedoes run into too much PD at too low a number to generally hurt much, they tend to get punted at lowly defended light T2 or potshotting T3 

PD mountain is required - otherwise bomber wings and boarders/PD run wild, and even then wings are too hard to drive off - this feeds into the torpedo issue 

But I need to stress this point - We need to see 3.0 before the kickstarter

If 3.0 looks good I can maybe refan the flames, get some people on board for the kickstarter get some games locally - I couldn't sign up the beta as local interest is so bad one player just pretty much sold up - he has a small orishan fleet left. 

With the feeling of betrayal over the whole way PF has been ignored, the poor reception of Task Force and then the fact little was done with the system with the crushing issues...

spartan neil, as you can see by the posts there are many folks who really care and love their game and want the best for spartan games. hopefully this community and the company can patiently pull together to be successful for the future. 

it is truly good to see the tone of this thread on the upbeat.;)

btw sneaking a legions query in here..........what happened to the medusa radar station?  see scenics thread:ph34r:

thank you

pax