Epix

Using hexagonal maps suggestion

I love using hexagonal maps for space games because I think it speeds up the game (no more measuring, easy movement) and it also allows simultaneous play.

Here is my idea of how to use hexagons with Taskforce based on other games:

1- Range: Each 4'' is an hexagon, rounded up.
2- All ships from a squadron are deployed in the same hex.
3- The main difference is the movement phase, the movement of your slower ship in the squadron is divided by 2, rounded down, this give you the THRUST rating.

Your mininum and maximum movement range depends on your last turn movement to represent the inertia in space.
* Minimum move : Last move value - THRUST  (if negative : 0)
* Maximum move  : Last move value + THRUST
* Tiers 1 can do one 60° turn, tiers 2 two turns and tiers 3 three turns.

For instance if your THRUST is 4 and you have not moved last turn then you can move up to 4 hexes.
Next turn you can move between 0 and 8 hexes (4-4 and 4+4), if you move 8 then next turn you can move between 4 and 12 hexes (8-4 and 8+4) and so on.

It is a bit of book keeping as you need to remember what was the squadron last move value. However you can use this book keeping to do simultaneous play : during the movement phase, everyone write on a paper its progammed movements for all his squadrons, for instance 3F2R means you are moving 3 hexes front then turn 60° left, moved again 2 hexes front and finally turn 60° right.
In case of collision then the higher tier squadron move one hex away in an empty hex.

So what do you think ?

Arcs.png