Grand-Stone

Best boarding nation

I'm going to talk a little bit about boarding. And give me very brief overview of 3 of the main players, Prussian, Russian EoBS and FSA. Which are the nations I have most knowledge about. If someone would like to write something for the other major nations, feel free to do so. And I only talk about regular boarding, not robot boarding...

Boarding is an important part of the game for ANY nation, even those that do not excel at it. Cuz it is such a powerful tool. But, some are slightly better at it than others. Obviously all nations will be getting updated Orbats, and things may change by that. But here are my thoughts.

1. Prussian.

Traditionally back from 1.1 this nation used to be a boarding heavy nation. Especially in 1.1, but it became less extreme in 2.0. Now in 2.5 they still have some boarding benefits.

• Tesla weapons which is lethal
  • A few firebrand weapons (lethal & causes fire)
  • 2ap on their frigates
  • often aggressive crews
  • Security posts
  • Tesla generators (espeially if you are lucky to get the shredded defenses)

Security post, is also an ofensive boarding spesific bonus, as right after an successful or unsuccesful they are vulnerable to counter charge, and security post helps protect you from that, somewhat atleast. Far from all weapons have the lethal bonus, but anything that kills AP helps boarding.

2. Russian

The Russians might be an underdog, and has some strong points and some negative ones... But their strong outshines the weakness

• Loads of AP
  • new improved concussive firepower on all primary guns...

Weakness

• Low AA
  • conscriptiv crews

Loads of dice which hit on 5+ only. But having more is very nice. Enemy AA is less important as you have more AP. Boarding you is more difficult as for defense more AP of poor quality is better than low number with high quality. It also means Lethal and fire have slightly less impact. Low AA hurts though. But new concussive firepower seems a very good. Concussive used to be flat out worse than lethal. Not any more. With 2.5 the Russian may be floating up as the main boarding nation...

3.  EoBS

• Sonic generators give a small defensive boarding bonus for some units.
  • Causes fire, on almost all weapons they have
  • Flamethrowers (lethal, causes fire and even more fire's if you crit)
  • Some robots, and new rules for them aids the killing of AP.

Killing AP immediately is in my view better than fire, even though a single fire MAY kill more than 1AP is you are lucky. However, the EoBS causes a LOT of fire. All primary guns, all rockets, and many other guns as well. Looking forward to try the new Zarigani and Chita with flamethrowers. And the share amount of fire EoBS cause, is a lot, and compensates for not killing an AP straight away. Sonic generators may give a small defensive bonus versus boarding, both passively and ofensively. But no doubt, it's the fires which is nasty.

4.  FSA

Obviously, not a baording intensive nation, as RB4 gunnery is their main thing. But it do have one really irritating trait:

• Sharpshooters

So, who do you think, at the moment, is the best boarding nation?

Some nations have tiny crafts with 1 AP each and maybe terror (1) or something. The FSA turtle for example. Although I don't have a problem with them per se, I would like to see some counter to those units. The FSA turtle's for example. There is nothing I can do. Unless I hapen to have an Indiscriminate area effect might maybe...

EoBS might very well be. But I'm a little biased my self as it's my main fleet and FSA normaly is my opponent.

4 hours ago, Zahariel said:

How could ppl leave out the Danes! 

I focused on the nations I knew best. Please feel free to add an overview of other nations as you wish. I would be delighted.

5 hours ago, Lostaris said:

Russia is to slow to a real boarding faction, also as a whole it barely had any more ap than other factions any more

The slow part may be a real thing which I have not added as penalty as maybe I should. But the second part I don't agree with. The Russian Cruiser have 21AP, which is a freaking lot, Light cruisers have 20, Corvette has 2AP + terror tactics (1) (not even conscripts on that one) and their frigates still have 2AP which is twice that of most other nations. 

Chinese Federation

• Concussive and Incendiary weapons 
  • Loads of (conscripted) AP
  • Commodore ability supports long range assaults (might change in 2.5 allied list)

Something like a mix of Russian and Japanese forces, the Chinese Federation can strip off enemy AP surprisingly fast - this is especially devastating against low Elite AP fleets like the Italians and the Covenant. The weakness would probably be their average to slow speed.

I honestly expected the PLC to be more boarding capable than they are. Sure, they do get some good boarding opportunities here and there, but generally speaking, their boarding capabilities are not as strong as I had initially thought. They're useful for other stuff, though.

1 hour ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

Actually, they have [classified] and/or [classified] on many of their units. The [redacted] is especially nasty.

Hmmmm, I guess......

"Terror Tactics" and "Long Range Assault" ? (jet packing robots right?). [Redacted] is probably a ship, maybe the cruisers?

3 hours ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

Actually, they have [classified] and/or [classified] on many of their units. The [redacted] is especially nasty.

Nah, that's a bit of an overreaction. It's just that it neatly ties into the Canadian [redacted] and [redacted] nicely, so it's almost as it those two forces are tailor-made for one another.

11 minutes ago, Farcages said:

Nah, that's a bit of an overreaction. It's just that it neatly ties into the Canadian [redacted] and [redacted] nicely, so it's almost as it those two forces are tailor-made for one another.

I know. The  [classified] on the  [redacted] is such a good countermeasure to the  [classified] on the  [redacted]

1 hour ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

I know. The  [classified] on the  [redacted] is such a good countermeasure to the  [classified] on the  [redacted]

Yeah, really makes you wonder how nations without access to [classified] are going to deal with the absurd [redacted].

I know my [+++PURGED BY  O̧̮̳̤R̖ḒE͡Ŕ̥̗͉̣̘̭͈ ̧͕̦Ǫ̲̰̜̳̲̺F̭̗̼̳̰̭̙ ̞͝ T͎̘̜̹̅͒̄̂ͪ͂̈́̚Ḩ̛͔̞̱͇̣͎͔̞̾ͩ͒͂͌̍Ȩ̛̘̭̥͈̥̱͎ͧ̑͠ ̸̵̡̩̥̹̭̹̮̮̬ͯ̒͊͗̽ͯ̃I̸͔̜̋̌͞N̫̣̘̪̤̒̑̊̑ͅQ̜͔̃̾ͅỤ̷̭ͧ̎̿ͦ̇͗͗̿ͣ͝I̛̯̭͋́͑ͥ̌ͤͦͥ͂͢S̱̳̤͔̝̈̄̎̏͜͝͡I̜̫̺͍̰̹̙͛ͭͥ̉̇́͝͠Ṯ̺͈̮̹̭̿̉͑ͧͯ͢I͕̟͛ͩO͋ͦ҉̤̥̘̣͎̬͝N̻̬͈̖̫͇͔ͦ͛͗ +++] will be pretty hard-pressed.

In the indian raj navy we have many ships (the most of them) with terror tactics, wich is very useful board ships (and you can see my fleet in instagram at @impriwars :D